Do the U.S. have control over Japan?

Reply Sun 1 Jan, 2012 11:16 am
In terms of foreign policy, and monetary decisions? I don 't know about it, so make your answer to be more detail. thanks.

BillRM

Reply Sun 1 Jan, 2012 12:02 pm
@TuringEquivalent,
Why would we have control over them anymore then any other nation on earth?

The controls after ww2 was pull sometime in the 1950s.
Ceili

Reply Sun 1 Jan, 2012 12:08 pm
@TuringEquivalent,
No.
0 Replies

TuringEquivalent

Reply Sun 1 Jan, 2012 12:35 pm
@BillRM,
What do you do for a living? Are you an expert on Japan-US relation?

One reason I doubt it is because of the primacy of the dollar, and US trying to maintain its empire, or Hegemony.

I think Japan is a "puppet state". what do you think?
ehBeth

Reply Sun 1 Jan, 2012 01:07 pm
@TuringEquivalent,
No.
Lustig Andrei

Reply Sun 1 Jan, 2012 01:08 pm
@ehBeth,
What ehBeth said. Japan is nobody's "puppet."
0 Replies

Green Witch

Reply Sun 1 Jan, 2012 02:06 pm
@TuringEquivalent,
Since WWII Japan's basic foreign policy has been to mind its own business. They spend little on defense compared to most developed countries. The US has been content to let them do so and would probably only take action if a country like North Korea threw a nuke at them.

The US and Japan have friendly business exchanges, but Japan's stagnant economy has more to do with internal factors than external. Their biggest exports seem to be Hello Kitty assessories, anime cartoons and Lolita fashions. Like the rest of the world, they seem happy to buy a lot of crap made in China.

Lustig Andrei

Reply Sun 1 Jan, 2012 02:49 pm
@Green Witch,
Green Witch wrote:
The US and Japan have friendly business exchanges, but Japan's stagnant economy has more to do with internal factors than external. Their biggest exports seem to be Hello Kitty assessories, anime cartoons and Lolita fashions. Like the rest of the world, they seem happy to buy a lot of crap made in China.

Aren'tyou forgetting automobiles (Toyota, Nissan etc.) and electronics equipment (Toshiba, Sony, Sanyo etc.)? I think there are more Japanese cars being driven the US than Detroit irons and more Japanese computers in use than Macs and Hewlitt-Packards combined. (I'm typing this on a Sony Vaio laptop Smile)

Green Witch

Reply Sun 1 Jan, 2012 02:52 pm
@Lustig Andrei,
Yeah, you're right, but my Toyota was made in Ohio.
Lustig Andrei

Reply Sun 1 Jan, 2012 03:57 pm
@Green Witch,
Green Witch wrote:

Yeah, you're right, but my Toyota was made in Ohio.

OK,but it's still a Japanese company and a large portion of the profit from the sale of the car to you went to Tokyo.
0 Replies

BillRM

Reply Sun 1 Jan, 2012 05:08 pm
@TuringEquivalent,
Quote:
I think Japan is a "puppet state". what do you think?

I think you are a fool with an anti American ax to grind.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 1 Jan, 2012 05:44 pm
@TuringEquivalent,
No. Japan has their own government and economy.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 1 Jan, 2012 05:53 pm
@Lustig Andrei,
LA, Too many people under-estimate Japan. For their population size and demographics (age-wise), it's still one of the strongest economies in the world, and being an island nation, it's a miracle of what they have accomplished - considering the fact that their closest neighbors, China and North Korea hasn't been good trading partners.
JTT

Reply Sun 1 Jan, 2012 06:22 pm
@cicerone imposter,
Quote:
For their population size and demographics (age-wise), it's still one of the strongest economies in the world, and being an island nation, it's a miracle of what they have accomplished - considering the fact that their closest neighbors, China and North Korea hasn't been good trading partners.

Yup and Japan had a pretty short run at predation on other countries wealth. Considering that the US has well over a century of pirating the wealth of other nations, one might consider that they should be further ahead.

I guess that it must be the US's generous foreign aid policies that have kept US wealth in check.
cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 1 Jan, 2012 06:56 pm
@JTT,
JTT, Do y0u know of any country that hasn't taken treasures from other countries?
TuringEquivalent

Reply Sun 1 Jan, 2012 07:13 pm
@cicerone imposter,
This is known as "distribute the responsibility". The standard is " It is not just us that enslave those darn Africans, but Arabs do it too".
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Sun 1 Jan, 2012 07:30 pm
@cicerone imposter,
Of course, CI. That's a non-issue. It is the greatest criminal that demands the greatest degree of scrutiny.

Do you know of any country that has robbed so many poor countries of such wealth, all the while making a pretense that it was helping the people of those countries, that it was extending democracy to the world's masses?

Allowed, one really has to marvel at just how effectively this huge charade has been pulled off.

Eorl

Reply Sun 1 Jan, 2012 07:32 pm
@TuringEquivalent,
Yes.
The US exercises control over every country.
Every country exerts countrol over every other, to varying degrees, but the control exerted by America over everyone else is strong.
A current and very important example; SOPA.
BillRM

Reply Sun 1 Jan, 2012 07:52 pm
@Eorl,
Quote:
A current and very important example; SOPA

You do know that SOPA were stop dead in it track I would assume?
JTT

Reply Sun 1 Jan, 2012 08:05 pm
@cicerone imposter,
CI, do you know of any country that has escaped/escapes a real analysis of their war crimes/excesses, call them what you like, like the US has/does?

Consider the constant stream from US sources, chastising various and sundry for their abuse of human rights. This, when the record of the US both at home and abroad, is hardly a shining record.

Consider, if you will, the degree of denial exhibited by your fellow citizens. This, from a country that prides itself on its openness, that prides itself on its readiness to debate, that prides itself on its dedication to seek the truth.