Worlds of English

OmSigDAVID

Reply Tue 10 Jan, 2012 12:59 am
@oristarA,
OmSigDAVID wrote:

How are thay referred to in China, Oristar ?

oristarA wrote:
Ri ben ren (日本人)。
Will u translate that for us, literally, Oristar?
Is it in any way a description of their nature or their quality, good or bad??

I remember maybe in the 1970s or 1980s, I went to Taiwan, for their Oct. 1Oth celebration.
At some point, we were required to wear large identity badges
bearing our names and our countries.

We were waiting in line for a long time, during which
(looking at the several Chinese characters on my id. badge),
I asked what thay meant.
I was told that it meant that I was from America.
I asked what each of the characters meant individually,
and it was represented to me that thay meant: "the Beautiful Country". I was surprized.

Can u tell us whether the consensus in China
is forgiveness for the atrocities of the 1930s, for the most part,
or is there a lot of residual resentment and ill will toward the Japanese now ?

David
oristarA

Reply Wed 11 Jan, 2012 01:12 am
@OmSigDAVID,
OmSigDAVID wrote:

OmSigDAVID wrote:

How are thay referred to in China, Oristar ?

oristarA wrote:
Ri ben ren (日本人)。
Will u translate that for us, literally, Oristar?
Is it in any way a description of their nature or their quality, good or bad??

I remember maybe in the 1970s or 1980s, I went to Taiwan, for their Oct. 1Oth celebration.
At some point, we were required to wear large identity badges
bearing our names and our countries.

We were waiting in line for a long time, during which
(looking at the several Chinese characters on my id. badge),
I asked what thay meant.
I was told that it meant that I was from America.
I asked what each of the characters meant individually,
and it was represented to me that thay meant: "the Beautiful Country". I was surprized.

Can u tell us whether the consensus in China
is forgiveness for the atrocities of the 1930s, for the most part,
or is there a lot of residual resentment and ill will toward the Japanese now ?

David

Indeed, America, in Chinese Pinyin it refers to Mei Guo (美国), which means "a beautiful country."

Ri ben ren (日本人): ri refers to "sun"; ben means "root, base or fundamental"; so ri ben (日本)means "a country where the sun is based or from where the sun rises. Ren, points to "people".

The anti-Japan sentiment in China has been rampant for decades. To show their contempt, the folks of China often refer to Japan as "xiao riben" (small Japan).The following poem is a typical example that was written in March this year when Japan was hit by earthquake and tsunami :

My Motherland, have you forgotten?

Weeping for you, my motherland.
Several days ago,
The Earth made her fury felt,
And gave a hard kick at small Japan's heart.
The fair blue sky roared,
And tore into pieces Japan's pride.
O, the judgment of God against the evil!
O, the justice punishing the devil!
But yet, Mother,
You reached out the hand of aid;
You sent out the first rescue squad!
You're the first to donate;
Ten thousand ton of gasoline,
Ten thousand ton of diesel oil,
All freely given,
To the demon!
I'm weeping for you, Mother.

(The original Chinese version:
祖国,我为您哭泣
几天以前,
大地震怒,
在小日本的心窝踹了一脚。
苍天咆哮,
把小日本的骄傲片片撕碎。
上帝在审判邪恶,
正义在严惩魔鬼。
可是,母亲,
你却伸出了援助之手。
您第一个派营救小队上岛,
您第一个向小日本捐款,
还无偿地送一万吨汽油,一万吨柴油……
祖国母亲啊,我为您哭泣……)

(The English is my translation for this thread in a hurry. Editing will
be appreciated. Of course, a good editing will also be dangerous and hurt the feeling of innocent Japanese people, for it may deliever wrong message.)

The poem was widespread on line then in China.

I ridiculed it:"What a rubbish! If Japan's quake was a kick at its heart, how many kicks has China got in Wenchuan earthquake? We've lost a hundred thousand while Japan only lost a thousand."

Some Chinese people, among them are the high educated, hold visceral hatred against "small Japan". A moderator (doctor most likely with PhD degree) of an important website in China, cried: the sino-Japanese relationship will never be harmonious, unless Japan agrees to give China a chance to destroy it once...bla bla bla. Such violence fanatics would smear all who said most of Japanese people were innocent as traitors of Han or SB (a derogatory term in pinyin refers to stupid asshole).
izzythepush

Reply Wed 11 Jan, 2012 03:46 am
@oristarA,
It's also important to note that whilst Germany has come to terms with its Nazi past, Japan seems to be in denial about its wartime record.
JTT

Reply Wed 11 Jan, 2012 08:50 pm
@izzythepush,
It's also important to note that neither the UK nor the US have come to terms with the massive war crimes they have committed, still commit.

And yet they both still have the gall to point fingers at others.
OmSigDAVID

Reply Wed 11 Jan, 2012 09:58 pm
@JTT,
I 'm going to tentatively consider u to be a troll, on this thread and others,
i.e., that u do not believe what u post,
but that merely out of malice, u offer provocative, foolish false assertions
in hope of causing annoyance among the members.

In retrospect, that explains your bizarre notions of correct grammar.

David
JTT

Reply Thu 12 Jan, 2012 06:55 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
Gee, another stupid post from OmSigDavid. What are the chances of that?
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Thu 12 Jan, 2012 07:32 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
Quote:

If you don't think what I wrote, below, is completely true, you are absolutely delusional, Om.

Quote:
It's also important to note that neither the UK nor the US have come to terms with the massive war crimes they have committed, still commit.

The facts supporting this statement are voluminous.
OmSigDAVID

Reply Fri 13 Jan, 2012 12:41 am
@JTT,
JTT wrote:

Quote:

If you don't think what I wrote, below, is completely true, you are absolutely delusional, Om.

Quote:

The facts supporting this statement are voluminous.
I think that u probably do not believe what u post, including the personal insults.
I suspect that u merely post them to cause disturbances for your entertainment,
not because u believe anything that u post. That is trolling behavior.

Does JTT stand for: "J The Troll" ????

David
JTT

Reply Fri 13 Jan, 2012 07:10 am
@OmSigDAVID,
Quote:
I think that u probably do not believe what u post, including the personal insults.
I suspect that u merely post them to cause disturbances for your entertainment,
not because u believe anything that u post. That is trolling behavior.

Next try the off topic bullshit, Om. You can't address the facts so you go to this crap.

Remember, Om, you are so patently dishonest that you continually refuse to address those issues that you have promised time and again to address.

Anytime you do attempt to discuss any grammar/language issues you are right out to lunch. On US terrorism/war crimes, you are delusional.

Quote:
The Indonesian Massacres and the CIA

by Ralph McGehee

Covert Action Quarterly, Fall 1990

In my original article ( The Nation, April 11, 1981) I tried to explain, through the constraints of the secrecy agreement and the deletions by the CIA's review board, one aspect of the Agency's successful effort to manipulate events in Indonesia in late 1965 and early 1966. The article was based on a classified CIA study of which I was custodian while working in the International Communism Branch of the CIA's Counterintelligence Staff. The Nation joined with me in an unsuccessful lawsuit by the ACLU to gain release of the deleted portions of the article. The Agency claims it cannot delete unclassified lies or speculations. By heavily censoring my article, it effectively admitted to an Agency role in the peration.

In a recent story in the San Francisco Examiner, researcher Kathy Kadane quotes CIA and State department officials who admit compiling lists of names of the Communist Party of Indonesia (PKI), making those lists available to the Indonesian military, and checking names off as people were "eliminated.'' The killings were part of a massive bloodletting after an abortive coup attempt taking, according to various estimates, between 250,000 and 1,000,000 lives and ultimately led to the overthrow of President Sukarno's government.

Since then a debate has simmered over what happened. A recent study based on information from former Johnson ad ministration officials, asserted that for months the U.S. "did their damnedest" through public pressure and more discreet methods, to prod the Indonesian army to move against Sukarno without success.

Debate continues over the origins of the coup attempt called Gestapu. Was it the result of CIA machinations, a takeover maneuver by General Suharto, a revolt by leftist officers under the control of the PKI, a power play by the People's Republic of China, a pre-emptive strike by Sukarno loyalists to prevent a move by officers friendly to the CIA, some combination of these factors, or others as yet unknown? I confess to no inside knowledge of the Gestapu.

Historical Background

It is well known that the CIA had long sought to unseat Sukarno: by funding an opposition political party in the mid-1950s, sponsoring a massive military overthrow attempt in the mid-1958, planning his assassination in 1961, and by rigging intelligence to inflame official U.S. concerns in order to win approval for planned covert actions.

Before attempting to describe one aspect of the CIA's role, it is essential to provide background on the scope and nature of its worldwide operations. Between 1961 and 1975 the Agency conducted 900 major or sensitive operations, and thousands of lesser covert actions. The majority of its operations were propaganda, election or paramilitary. Countries of major concern, such as Indonesia in the early 1960s, were usually subjected to the CIA's most concerted attention.

Critics of the CIA have aptly described the mainstays of such attention: "discrediting political groups... by forged documents that may be attributed to them. . . ," faking "communist weapon shipments,'' capturing communist documents and then inserting forgeries prepared by the Agency's Technical Services Division. The CIA's "Mighty Wurlitzer" then emblazoned and disseminated the details of such "discoveries."

The Mighty Wurlitzer was a worldwide propaganda mechanism consisting of hundreds or even thousands of media representatives and officials including, over a period of years, approximately 400 members of the American media. The CIA has used the Wurlitzer and its successors to plant stories and to suppress expository or critical reporting in order to manipulate domestic and international perceptions. From the early 1980s, many media operations formerly the responsibility of the CIA have been funded somewhat overtly by the National Endowment for Democracy (NED).

From the earliest days, the Agency's International Organizations Division (IOD) implemented and coordinated its extensive covert operations. The division's activities created or assisted international organizations for youth, students, teachers, workers, veterans, journalists, and jurists. The CIA used, and continues to use, the various labor, student, and other suborned organizations not only for intelligence and propaganda purposes, but also to participate in elections and paramilitary operations and to assist in overthrowing governments. At the same time, the CIA manipulates their organizational publications for covert propaganda goals.

The labor unions the CIA creates and subsidizes, in their more virulent stages, provide strong-arm goon squads who burn buildings, threaten and beat up opponents, pose as groups of the opposition to discredit them, terrorize and control labor meetings, and participate in coups.

http://www.thirdworldtraveler.com/CIA/McGehee_CIA_Indo.html
0 Replies