What bought you to a2k?

Eorl

Reply Fri 30 Dec, 2011 07:58 pm
I first came stumbled on a thread called Atheist Discussion in Nov 2004, and never left. I've learned a hell of a lot since. I can talk about things here (especially religion) that people in RL are largely unable or unwilling to discuss with me in a satisfactory way.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Fri 30 Dec, 2011 08:05 pm
I am grateful I had Abuzz to practice on before a2k. I was more than a little rough around the edges. By the time I got here, I was slowly beginning to wise up. Now, I am essentially pretty happy with my forum experience here.
Lustig Andrei

Reply Fri 30 Dec, 2011 08:11 pm
@edgarblythe,
I was awfully difident about posting anything when I first joined Abuzz. Because it was a NYTimes site, I thought everybody there must be much smarter, more erudite than I. I learned quickly enough, though, that the number of idiots and the number of intelligent people is fairly consistent regardless of who sponsors the site.
Eorl

Reply Fri 30 Dec, 2011 08:14 pm
@edgarblythe,
My first post followed one by edgarblythe
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Fri 30 Dec, 2011 08:30 pm
@Lustig Andrei,
Ha!

Exactly the same with me, Andrew!

I thought I was mingling with the intellectual elite during my initial (very nervous) Abuzz posts.

But it didn't take too long ..... Wink

0 Replies

mars90000000

Reply Fri 30 Dec, 2011 09:12 pm
All men, Unite: http://able2know.org/topic/182113-1
FOUND SOUL

Reply Fri 30 Dec, 2011 09:17 pm
@mars90000000,
http://able2know.org/topic/182347-1

Smile
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Fri 30 Dec, 2011 09:51 pm
I was going through some relationship issues at the time and wanted some advise, I think that I put something into google and got here. I was on the relationship forum on old A2K for months before I even looked at other places in A2K, but I eventually took an interest in other topics. I stayed because I liked the straight shooting, the general temperament here to tell the truth rather than what someone wants to hear, which I have found hard to come by on internet forums.
0 Replies

margo

Reply Fri 30 Dec, 2011 10:21 pm
Yep -I blame da bunny as well!

I was ambling around on Abuzz - and ricocheting about Ravens Realm (loved the Sunday morning chats!), but somehow ended up here - summoned by her bunnyship and jespah!.

There's some good people here (and some pretty cool animals!)
CalamityJane

Reply Fri 30 Dec, 2011 10:27 pm
I was looking online for a comedian and it brought me to a2k as first google entry and there I read a post from gustavratzenhofer Laughing I started reading more and more in various threads and after about 5 weeks of reading I registered - that was in October 2004. I had chosen an avatar of an old lady in rollers and when gustav crossed my path again, he said to me: "If you look like this in person, I'll do you"..... I miss that old fart!!
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Fri 30 Dec, 2011 10:30 pm
Quote:
What bought you to a2k?
the collapse of Abuzz

0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Fri 30 Dec, 2011 10:34 pm
@margo,
Those chats were something!

If I told friends what I'd been up to that morning they'd look at me pityingly....but I knew I'd had more fun than they could have had with " real" people.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sat 31 Dec, 2011 04:47 am
As so many other people here have noted, i was lead here indirectly through Abuzz. (It was Jespah's "fault," too--she sent me an e-mail about this place.) What was alluring about this place was its general interrest. I visited and long patronized other sites, but their interests were narrower. There was an Irish site i visited for years, but it devolved into a sort of social networking site for young professionals in Ireland (and long before social networking was a concept for most of the world). There was also a site that i visited for years and at which i almost never posted, the focus and origin of which was a novel written in China almost seven hundred years ago. It would be hard to explain just what the allure there was, but despite a small membership it was a lively place. There was also a site, i guess you would call it a "skeptics" site which i eventually abandoned because too many of the people posting were preaching, and usually preaching to the choir. I became unpopular for pointing out to them both that they were preaching and that so much of their drivel was predicated on undemonstrated premises. I was even accused of being a christian saboteur!

The allure of this place is its general interest nature, just as was once the case with Abuzz.
OmSigDAVID

Reply Sat 31 Dec, 2011 09:21 am
@sozobe,
THANK U, very much for your efforts in support of Abuzz, Sozobe.
Until your posts in this thread, I had no idea of your efforts on our behalf!!!

HAPPY NEW YEAR!!!

David
0 Replies

PandaFan

Reply Sat 31 Dec, 2011 05:56 pm
it was all jespah fault..sent me an email.
With the two years of Abuzz ingrained in my life and soul and that going through so many changes and down the drain (I also applaud you soz I had no idea either) it was nice to have a new place to go with familiar faces.
I also got no dang pen or mug. Buggers.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Sun 1 Jan, 2012 07:03 am
In an episode of the Simpsons, Homer writes a song Everyone Hates Ned Flanders, in which Apu has the line 'he's so white bread.' This was an unfamiliar use of white bread, and when I googled the term I was directed to A2K. This told me that 'white bread' basically meant bland and inoffensive. I had originally thought it was an American variation of rhyming slang as in brown bread/dead.
0 Replies

MMarciano

Reply Tue 3 Jan, 2012 07:48 pm
I had to find out why my husband was spending so much time on the internet, I found him here.
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Wed 4 Jan, 2012 07:31 am
@FOUND SOUL,
Found Soul wrote:
What bought you to a2k?

What brought me to a2k was the community around abuzz.com, a social network run by the New York Times 10--15 years ago. Back in 2000, articles on nytimes.com were followed by links to Abuzz, much as they are followed by links to Facebook and Twitter today. I clicked on one of those links and found myself on Abuzz. A few years later, that forum degenerated into noise and I left. Various members of Abuzz's started up their own sites, one of which was A2K. In early 2003, one former Abuzzer, who was also one of the first A2K members, invited me here. I've been posting here ever since, on and off but mostly on.
0 Replies

softballstar 48

Reply Sat 7 Jan, 2012 11:12 am
@FOUND SOUL,
i really dont know how came to this website
CalamityJane

Reply Sat 7 Jan, 2012 01:12 pm
@softballstar 48,
Yes, and you shouldn't be here since you're only 11 years old. Smile