Oh well ya all answered ...

Shhhh dobber Smile
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Thu 29 Dec, 2011 04:41 pm
@Setanta,
Setanta wrote:

I blame Jespah . . .

(Mostly 'cause i don't think she'll hit me . . .)

Heh, I'll remember this for the next time you visit our fair city. Cool

I kept an address book of about 300 or so Abuzzers. Craven de Kere (this is Robert Gentel) owned an MSN (?) Groups site called The Ravens Realm, where there were around 900 or so registered users. Of course there was overlap. We estimated at the time that we had information on around 1,000 people. Keep in mind, this is all before Facebook.

I recall sending out email after email to people. Yahoo mail wouldn't let me send to more than 30 people at a time, and I think I couldn't send more than 5 or so of the big emails at once. Plus I wasn't working at the time but it was still a lot to do. I know it took a few weeks to send out invites. We also sent out a generalized note on the Realm and, after a while, sent out a few things via an emailing system on Abuzz.

We were careful not to send out invites on Abuzz topics themselves, as we figured that would be the kind of thing we would ding people for as spammers if they tried it here. Plus there were people who thought we were destroying Abuzz - er, sorry, folks, the NY Times just gave up on it! We had no money and no experience whatsoever, versus a huge media conglomerate. If they had been paying attention at all, they would have easily eaten us for lunch.
Lustig Andrei

Reply Thu 29 Dec, 2011 04:46 pm
@jespah,
You bring back memories, jes. At that time a lot us, including me, were 'pub-hopping' from one site to the other, Abuzz to A2k to Raven's Realm. As I think I've already said, I didn't much care for Raven's Realm but A2K seemed like a smaller, better-organized Abuzz with many of the same posters. It grows on ya.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 29 Dec, 2011 05:01 pm
@jespah,
I remember the backlash about somehow ruining the already totally dead in the water wreck that was abuzz. <waves hand while rolling eyes and stomping foot>
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 29 Dec, 2011 05:13 pm
@roger,
Right, I really liked her site, loved a lot of those photos, but then msn groups folded too. The Crones (how I didn't like that name when asked to join, she whines) also maintained a site for quite a while.
mars90000000

Reply Thu 29 Dec, 2011 05:17 pm
never been to any of those forums, don't even recognize the names.
ossobuco

Reply Thu 29 Dec, 2011 05:23 pm
@sozobe,
I didn't know most of that either, Soz - extending sympathy re the past for you and the lifeboaters.

Jes, you were (I think I remember) the one who put up with me with extraordinary patience when I was shut out of abuzz for months (at a personal horrendo time) for what I now presume was what people told me, something about cookies. Or not, as I tried to clean out the cookies as advised. (Clicking on abuzz was my first time online, got the http from the daily nyt paper.) I think others than you tried to help me too, but I was too dense.
0 Replies

Lustig Andrei

Reply Thu 29 Dec, 2011 05:28 pm
@ossobuco,
There were any number of Abuzz spinoffs in the early days (Seattlebuzz, for example,which I used to belong to). A2k is the only one that has survived, far as I know.
msolga

Reply Thu 29 Dec, 2011 05:31 pm
@Lustig Andrei,
Quote:
They ain't paying me! Smile

They're not?
Gosh. They're paying the rest of us.
I come here for the $$$$$. Smile
roger

Reply Thu 29 Dec, 2011 05:36 pm
@msolga,
There really are people not getting paid to post. I think Andy's problem goes back to being unable to log in as Merry Andrew. Otherwise, he would surely be there.
Lustig Andrei

Reply Thu 29 Dec, 2011 05:38 pm
@roger,
Tht's it! That's why those checks they sent me bounced. I have no id as Lustig, only as Merry.
msolga

Reply Thu 29 Dec, 2011 05:41 pm
@roger,
That must be it, roger.
Sorry, Andrew, changed usernames remove you from the A2K payroll. Smile
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Thu 29 Dec, 2011 05:42 pm
@Lustig Andrei,
Lustig Andrei wrote:

There were any number of Abuzz spinoffs in the early days (Seattlebuzz, for example,which I used to belong to). A2k is the only one that has survived, far as I know.

Seattlebuzz still exists, but it has few members and few posts.
ossobuco

Reply Thu 29 Dec, 2011 05:43 pm
@mars90000000,
Of the msn groups, Mars, I think Raven's Realm was started as a forum, as was Seattlebuzz, but sites like Littlek's were personal photo sites, and the crones thing was for a group of abuzz women invited for discussing stuff. I think that one died before msn groups did.

edited to say abuzz women instead of a2k women
0 Replies

Lustig Andrei

Reply Thu 29 Dec, 2011 05:43 pm
@edgarblythe,
Yeah, last time I checked in, maybe two or three years ago, there were two others on line besides me. Laughing
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 29 Dec, 2011 05:45 pm
@Lustig Andrei,
Andy, have you asked the mods? They maybe able to reconstitute you. Or not, dunno.
msolga

Reply Thu 29 Dec, 2011 05:47 pm
@Lustig Andrei,
I holidayed in Bali on my earnings.
Too bad you're missing out! Wink
0 Replies

roger

Reply Thu 29 Dec, 2011 05:47 pm
@ossobuco,
I doubt it. The passwords are hashed, and as far as name changes go, I requested on maybe six months ago. Nothing happened.
ossobuco

Reply Thu 29 Dec, 2011 05:51 pm
@roger,
Oh, well. I thought I'd seen it, but it might have been a right-away thing for someone, or poor memory on my part.
0 Replies