What bought you to a2k?

rosborne979

Reply Thu 29 Dec, 2011 03:06 pm
@FOUND SOUL,
Like many others, I followed the crowd from Abuzz to A2K.

I found Abuzz originally because I wanted a place to ask questions and get answers, but I quickly discovered that when you ask questions all you really get are opinions, not answers. But I stayed because I wanted to practice my debating skills and because I enjoyed many of the opinions and many of the members. And I still do.

Now I stay because there's an actual community of people who I know. And there's a value in knowing people's past behavior through posts. So now I can actually get answers to things by virtue of recognizing the knowledge and history of the various members. Reputation carries value, and I think it's often under rated, or maybe not as recognized as it should be.
0 Replies

jcboy

Reply Thu 29 Dec, 2011 03:10 pm
Not sure, I think it was the medication I was on.
0 Replies

FOUND SOUL

Reply Thu 29 Dec, 2011 03:11 pm
@sozobe,
I just read a few threads back in 2008 about Abuzz...

I admire your attempt to keep it all going even if you weren't being paid in the end...and trying to hold the fort single handidly.

I also loved the Forum I spent 4 years on. Answered nearly every post, every day, tried to make people laugh as well as so many threads were "negative", tried to pick people us when down as well. An old Admin after 1 year came back and started playing God Smile There was such a power trip going on, most of the Mods left, haven't come back...And any decent poster also dwindled away as the ban hammer got too crazy, people baited by her.. Just because Smile

It's funny though, you never forget the good times and people, alot I have email correspondence with or they are on my facebook... So it's not as sad for me as it would have been for you...

I know what it's like to work un-paid to keep a place going... It's the love of what you are doing... for the members.

Thanks for sharing your story on it... There was such a sad tone to it all, heartfelt...

roger

Reply Thu 29 Dec, 2011 03:19 pm
@Ceili,
Someone? Someone!?

Sure, and I forget who started a Celtic music thread on Abuzz, dedicated to me, by Ceilityme, or something like that.
Ceili

Reply Thu 29 Dec, 2011 03:29 pm
@roger,
Sorry Roger... I thought it might be you, but I was so new to computers and the whole forum thing, and it's been a good long while, and I have the world most useless memory. I never seem to remember the most important things in life, just the stupid trivial stuff. My apologies..
0 Replies

Lustig Andrei

Reply Thu 29 Dec, 2011 03:31 pm
It's all the Bunny's fault. Abuzz was falling apart. That had become obvious even to someone as dense as I am. I had signed up at Craven de Kere's Raven's Realm thread (someone named Eurodiva was also an instigator there). I didn't care for the format; don't think I ever posted there. (Is that site still up, btw?) Then Craven started A2k and announced that Jespah would be the chief mod and would have a pretty free hand in how it was run. And THEN . . .

...Then I get his msg. from dlowan-down-under, virtually begging me to come on over to A2K. I succumbed. Been here forever, originally as Merry Andrew, now with this new nom because the hamsters won't let me in under my old designation.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Thu 29 Dec, 2011 03:38 pm
@FOUND SOUL,
Yeah, I definitely identify with your original post which is why I went into that now....

I overstate though with "single-handedly," it sure felt that way and I did take too much of it on my own shoulders but there was a crew of people who were helping out, regular members as well as former staff. We had a whole newsletter system that was not just me, there were various informal systems that sprung up. Things actually hummed along pretty well for a while. I just hated the feeling, as time went on, that if I walked away, the whole thing would collapse. At first that kept me going -- I can't let it collapse! -- and then that became oppressive.
FOUND SOUL

Reply Thu 29 Dec, 2011 03:49 pm
@sozobe,
lols

Get the last line so well, it's why I haven't resigned yet:) To make sure everyone is "okay" Posting is almost non-eventful a few VM's cheering the members along in spirit is still there, .... But, it's just too hard sometimes huh...

0 Replies

roger

Reply Thu 29 Dec, 2011 03:56 pm
@sozobe,
At the same time, Jespah was maintaining an address book of Abuzz members. LittleK had her own MSN site that included many member pictures, and some from the Boston gatherings.
mars90000000

Reply Thu 29 Dec, 2011 04:03 pm
somewhat similar story as yours Razz

came on this forum for no particular reason, registered, about 4 years ago, but didn't come on it much. Hardly post stuff. Was on another forum, as mod and eventually admin. Some 80 000 total forum replies to topics (of every member) later the forum kind of died out and so i started posting here more, lol.

ps: This is a diversion so i can count down further, before you, female, count up. >=)
Roberta

Reply Thu 29 Dec, 2011 04:06 pm
I was an abuzzer too. Didn't like Raven's Realm for some reason I can't remember. I think it was the bunny who told me about a2k. I had a look-see, and I stayed.
0 Replies

FOUND SOUL

Reply Thu 29 Dec, 2011 04:08 pm
@mars90000000,
lol's

Well mine also turned from some truly inspiring or intelligent threads, or heartaches, to predominately Gyno/or Am I pregnant, I used a Condom?
not that I have anything wrong with that, but you chace all the good people away and that's what happens Smile Kind of sick of answering NO all the time too lols
0 Replies

FOUND SOUL

Reply Thu 29 Dec, 2011 04:10 pm
@mars90000000,
Quote:
ps: This is a diversion so i can count down further, before you, female, count up. >=)

Pfttttttttttttttttttttttt Evil or Very Mad Twisted Evil Wink
mars90000000

Reply Thu 29 Dec, 2011 04:11 pm
@FOUND SOUL,
doesn't count unless its there Smile

we're down to 987 btw Smile

Diversion Successful.
FOUND SOUL

Reply Thu 29 Dec, 2011 04:13 pm
@mars90000000,
Smarty Pants Smile

999 lols ok FS stop hi-jacking your own thread Smile
0 Replies

mars90000000

Reply Thu 29 Dec, 2011 04:14 pm
Razz

and the forum i was on before, was more of a MMORPG "clan" forum but i stopped playing that game and didn't bother going on the forum anymore either

FOUND SOUL

Reply Thu 29 Dec, 2011 04:18 pm
@mars90000000,
MMORPG?

Please explain I am blonde:)
0 Replies

mars90000000

Reply Thu 29 Dec, 2011 04:19 pm
Massively Multiple Online Role Playing Game
FOUND SOUL

Reply Thu 29 Dec, 2011 04:26 pm
@mars90000000,
Well you're doing a good job at that now Smile lols
Lustig Andrei

Reply Thu 29 Dec, 2011 04:31 pm
@FOUND SOUL,
Just now noticed that your headline actually reads "What bought you to A2k?" Laughing They ain't paying me! Smile