Is 25 too old to start dating?

Reply Wed 28 Dec, 2011 12:16 pm
I'm going to turn 25 next month, and I'm faced with this very significant question. Give your honest replies.

For the record, I'm not unattractive or even unfriendly - just been a bit too much into career building. And sometimes backed out of a relationship-in-the-making because I wasn't too sure.

chai2

Reply Wed 28 Dec, 2011 12:50 pm
@spidergal,
Well, if you don't start dating now, what's the alternative?

Start dating when you're 30?

There's no expiration date on meeting someone.

No, you definately NOT unattractive!
CoastalRat

Reply Wed 28 Dec, 2011 12:55 pm
@spidergal,
You are definately not unattractive. And one is never too old to start dating.

Good luck to you.
chai2

Reply Wed 28 Dec, 2011 01:38 pm
@CoastalRat,
I didn't start dating my first husband until I was 30
roger

Reply Wed 28 Dec, 2011 01:44 pm
@spidergal,
Well, where the heck have you been? Missed ya'.

Anyhow, I'm sorely tempted to say "Yes, you are too old. Wait a few more years.", but seriously, never too old. I've never been much on the dating concept. More like getting to better know someone you're somewhat acquainted with.
tsarstepan

Reply Wed 28 Dec, 2011 03:21 pm
@spidergal,
Clearly you have your priorities and if dating isn't one of them so what?!

Date when you feel like dating. Start dating when you find someone datable. Getting married before a particular set age is just too obsolete a concept so why would the age of dating be any different?
chai2

Reply Wed 28 Dec, 2011 03:35 pm
Wondering, is this a cultural thing?

Is 25 considered old to date where you live in India?
0 Replies

chai2

Reply Wed 28 Dec, 2011 03:36 pm
@roger,
roger wrote:

Anyhow, I'm sorely tempted to say "Yes, you are too old.

Laughing

I had been tempted to say "you're too old, you will now never meet anyone and marry, or have a significant relationship"

hey, there's always that guy at work who used to stare at you.
Linkat

Reply Wed 28 Dec, 2011 06:49 pm
@chai2,
Yeah I was in my 30s when I dated who was to become my husband. So I was old and I dated. 25 is still very young - many women do not get married now until their 30s - many due to like you say - starting their careers.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Wed 28 Dec, 2011 07:30 pm
@spidergal,
Quote:
I'm going to turn 25 next month, and I'm faced with this very significant question. Give your honest replies.

For the record, I'm not unattractive or even unfriendly - just been a bit too much into career building. And sometimes backed out of a relationship-in-the-making because I wasn't too sure.

Good to see you again, spider! Smile
Long time since your last posts.

Is 25 too old to start dating?
I don't think so, if that's what you feel inclined to do.
It sounds like you weren't too inclined or motivated before, choosing to put your time & energy into other things ...

I was wondering:
Would 25 be considered "too old" where you live?
Is it difficult to meet men you might be potentially interested in spending time with?
Is there any family or other pressure to begin dating "before it's too late"?
Or is the motivation solely yours?
If it is, I'd say go for it & treat your first dating ventures as "acclimatizing" experiences, nothing too serious or binding .... just getting the hang of this dating thing. Smile
Just see what happens & take it from there .... whichever way "there" may lead.

And keep in mind: you're an attractive, intelligent young woman, who knows her own mind, has her own means & who's fun to be with. Who wouldn't want to spend time which such a person? Smile

0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Wed 28 Dec, 2011 07:35 pm
@chai2,
That sounds promising.........not seriously
0 Replies

roger

Reply Wed 28 Dec, 2011 09:08 pm
@tsarstepan,
Good point. If you're not interested, it makes no sense to push yourself.
0 Replies

George

Reply Wed 28 Dec, 2011 09:16 pm
If I were forty years younger, you'd have to fend me off with a stick.

Hell, I didn't date until I was twenty-seven. That's the truth --I had been in
a religious community up till then. Dating was scary as hell and I made a
complete fool of myself, but so what? I had fun, met some interesting
people and found out I wasn't as hopeless as I'd thought.

GO FOR IT!!!
0 Replies

markhuy

Reply Thu 29 Dec, 2011 10:44 am
I actually started dating when I was 28. Smile
firefly

Reply Thu 29 Dec, 2011 11:36 am
@spidergal,
How can anyone be too old to date? My grandmother was dating in her 80's.
0 Replies

George

Reply Thu 29 Dec, 2011 02:20 pm
@markhuy,
markhuy wrote:
I actually started dating when I was 28. Smile
Dang. There goes my record.
0 Replies

spidergal

Reply Fri 30 Dec, 2011 11:57 am
@chai2,
Hi, Chai -

You are right.

Dating is not generally perceived as a great practice in India. A good proportion never get to give it a shot because

1) Their family doesn't encourage it
2) Their early adulthood is squandered in earning money (It's tough out here in India
3) They don't believe in it

So you see, there can't really be an age bar on dating here. However, yes, there's an unwritten rule that requires to get married in your early to mid-20s. I'm sure you're familiar with this.

I'm, of course, a different kind of beast, and don't subscribe to the many of these ideas. I have a more Western outlook towards marriage and love, which puts me in trouble a lot of times.
0 Replies

spidergal

Reply Fri 30 Dec, 2011 11:58 am
@CoastalRat,
Thanks, CoastalRat, for your reassurance.
0 Replies

spidergal

Reply Fri 30 Dec, 2011 11:59 am
@chai2,
So had you never dated before you met your first husband?
chai2

Reply Fri 30 Dec, 2011 04:00 pm
@spidergal,
No, I dated before him. I had one serious relationship that started while I was in college, and lasted until I was maybe 27. Even then we didn't completely break up, but continued to see each other once in a while. We were both comfortable with each other.

In the period between 27 and and oh, maybe 29 or 30, I casually dated a few different men. While I can't say it was the happiest time in my life, I remember it as being a time when I felt the most free, in that I didn't need to consider anyone else when making important decisions, i.e. boyfriend, husband. It was also a lot of fun. Good for my ego (I was surprised at how many different men wanted to go out with me, although I didn't say yes to every one)

So, in India, I guess you are expected to be introduced to a young man via family or friends, see each other exclusively, and make a decision to marry based on that?

What would happen if a young man your family approved of asked you out to the movies, and you did this maybe 3 times, and then someone else asked you out?
Would you be expected to say no after only seeing the first man 3 times?
Can you date 2 men at the same time?
Do 2 people go out with the understanding this is probably not headed for marriage, but just because you enjoy each others company?

I'm trying to get a handle on what is expected of you.

I remember this guy Will. Really nice person. We would go to dinner, or the movies. He was interesting to talk to, good sense of humor, had a good job, attractive, etc. He seemed to think I was interesting too, as we continued to go out together.
However, he never even kissed me, and I don't remember really having the desire to kiss him. The chemistry just wasn't there. However, it wasn't just like 2 friends going out. It was like we were both trying to figure out why nothing was happening.

0 Replies