The NFL Superbowl Thread! Back Again With Big Prizes*

ossobuco

Reply Sun 15 Jan, 2012 11:02 am
@Ragman,
I think that was over Vernon Davis having a negative take on Michael Crabtree at the time. I think (not sure and don't want to chase it down) that Davis was a team leader around that time, and there were questions then re Crabtree and work ethic. But I also remember reading that Davis did later straighten up his behavior in any case. This is all vaporous since I started to look all this up and my computer did a flop (my imac wars with a flash plug in). Besides, time to go to the store.
Ragman

Reply Sun 15 Jan, 2012 11:09 am
@ossobuco,
being your a west-coaster and closer to the team's intricacies and the local media etc...I have to claim at least partial ignorance on the details. I just know Singletary was calling someone out..who I THOUGHT was Davis not being a winner.
0 Replies

realjohnboy

Reply Sun 15 Jan, 2012 11:10 am
Hi. I did see a bit of the video from the end of the SF game. The last 2 minutes of play was evidently awesome. I, like Osso, tend to follow the progress of games by watching the possession arrows on my computer.
McGentrix now has 12 points followed by 11 for LiontamerX. 9-9-9 shows up on my scorecard a lot. CoinToss is at 10.
McGentrix (+CT) was the only player picking San Francisco and Tico alone chose Denver.
Today, we are all over Baltimore and Green Bay. Jespah, JPB, Edgar and McGentrix pick the banged up Houston team and only AndyClubber and Coastalrat are going with the NY Giants.
0 Replies

realjohnboy

Reply Sun 15 Jan, 2012 11:27 am
@ossobuco,
ossobuco wrote:

... time to go to the store.

I went to Kroger this morning. I tend to do that on Sunday mornings. Very few people there at 8 am and some perishable stuff is marked down.
I noted that, at my Kroger, they have switched from plastic bags which hold about three items to large double hulled paper ones. Nice, although the bagger was mid-way up on the learning curve on making sure the bags didn't get too heavy for scrawny old people.
edgarblythe

Reply Sun 15 Jan, 2012 11:58 am
@realjohnboy,
realjohnboy wrote:

ossobuco wrote:

... time to go to the store.

I went to Kroger this morning. I tend to do that on Sunday mornings. Very few people there at 8 am and some perishable stuff is marked down.
I noted that, at my Kroger, they have switched from plastic bags which hold about three items to large double hulled paper ones. Nice, although the bagger was mid-way up on the learning curve on making sure the bags didn't get too heavy for scrawny old people.

An emplyee of the grocery store where I shop told me they are trained to overload the paper bags, unless requested to desist by the customer.
ossobuco

Reply Sun 15 Jan, 2012 01:05 pm
@edgarblythe,
So I'm baaaaak. The grocery store was fun. As I walked in I saw a bagger wearing a Brady shirt (or whatever you call them, big and baggy). As I left, a checker was wearing a Packers shirt. She was happy for me when I mentioned being glad about the 49'ers...

I went to autozone for some new windshield wipers, which the store fellow put on for me, and good thing too as they turned out to be hard to change. During all that we talked this and that, my asking about the store crew since they're so helpful, with him telling me about his baking cookies for the crew, and just before I left, he said he was going to two Packers parties later today.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 15 Jan, 2012 02:19 pm
I believe if the Texans had Schaub in the game, they might be winning. Still, I am proud of their efforts, mostly.
0 Replies

realjohnboy

Reply Sun 15 Jan, 2012 03:51 pm
McGentrix stumbles with his pick of Houston. LiontamerX is back in the lead with 14.
I have run into a bit of a problem with the awarding of a point or two for being closest to the final score in the Baltimore-Houston game. 20-13 was the final.
Thack predicted 20-16 while Coastalrat and Cowdoc said 20-10. They all had Baltimore to win. My rules for breaking ties do not go deep enough to solve this so I am giving each of them two points. That means that Thack is tied with LiontamerX at 14.
ehBeth

Reply Sun 15 Jan, 2012 04:25 pm
@realjohnboy,
Giants in the lead

Shocked
realjohnboy

Reply Sun 15 Jan, 2012 05:12 pm
@ehBeth,
20-10 Giants at the half.
Rockhead

Reply Sun 15 Jan, 2012 05:13 pm
@realjohnboy,
twenty where I live, two...
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sun 15 Jan, 2012 05:23 pm
I was going to post earlier that the bird was peeping again, but I decided to shut up, no chance for change of pick anyway.

C'mon, you guys..
0 Replies

thack45

Reply Sun 15 Jan, 2012 05:49 pm
@realjohnboy,
realjohnboy wrote:

That means that Thack is tied with LiontamerX at 14.

Woohoo! 14!

... wait...
spendius

Reply Sun 15 Jan, 2012 06:06 pm
@thack45,
Compared with running at full speed along the very edge of the out-of-bounds line with two burly grunts clawing at you and catching a too high, funny shaped, greasy ball, in the outstretched fingers of your fully extended arms and getting the damn thing into the last bit of the corner of the end zone taking a cameraman, the marker cone and a couple of cheerleaders along in a rolling mass of human flesh 14 is **** all thack.

thack45

Reply Sun 15 Jan, 2012 06:13 pm
@djjd62,
djjd62 wrote:

it's even better the way i do it, don't watch the game at all, just check the scores the next morning, no annoying commercials or game play to spoil my fun

djjd62 wrote:

never watched an entire football game (of any kind) in my entire life

rarely watch any sports on tv, if i'm going to sit in front of the tv i'd rather watch something interesting, all the highlights show up on the news and endless blather from radio folks the next few days

i do enjoy the odd live sporting event

djjd62 wrote:

truth be told, i've never had an interest in sports, not even as a kid, much prefer a book or some talk show on the radio

so you're saying you're a real sports nut...
thack45

Reply Sun 15 Jan, 2012 06:14 pm
@spendius,
spendius wrote:

Compared with running at full speed along the very edge of the out-of-bounds line with two burly grunts clawing at you and catching a too high, funny shaped, greasy ball, in the outstretched fingers of your fully extended arms and getting the damn thing into the last bit of the corner of the end zone taking a cameraman, the marker cone and a couple of cheerleaders along in a rolling mass of human flesh 14 is **** all thack.

whatever dude
0 Replies

Rockhead

Reply Sun 15 Jan, 2012 06:22 pm
holy shmoly, what is wrong with the cheese heads...?

the G-men didn't read the script, apparently...
ehBeth

Reply Sun 15 Jan, 2012 06:46 pm
@Rockhead,
holey kamoley

Quote:

Giants

-

Packers

‎-3:30 Q4
Rockhead

Reply Sun 15 Jan, 2012 06:55 pm
@ehBeth,
hmmmmm.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gb7nwoQVkQE
0 Replies

thack45

Reply Sun 15 Jan, 2012 06:58 pm
@spendius,
spendius wrote:

You promoted the idea as clever. And it's stupid. Do what you want but don't promote it.

What's your alternative to junk food? Or motor cars?

The ads define those who watch the games. And pretty classy works of art most of them are.

Thanks for the permission to do as I want. Very sweet of you

By the way - I would've replied earlier, but I had to go make the money I pay my cable provider in exchange for the opportunity they give me to record, skip and/or rewind the programming that they provide to me.

And so I'm guessing that television makes more money off me than you (unless you really are an idiot), so save your fallacious reasonings. Seems to me what you're really worried about is if most people were actually using - and consequently "promoting" paid DVR service, it would only be cheap ass wanks like you who wouldn't be watching these games.
0 Replies