The NFL Superbowl Thread! Back Again With Big Prizes*

thack45

Reply Sat 14 Jan, 2012 10:10 pm
@Ragman,
Ragman wrote:

he has a date with a super-model (his wife)

True enough. But I imagined he was at the point of wondering if he'd have time to empty the dishwasher first
0 Replies

thack45

Reply Sat 14 Jan, 2012 10:18 pm
@Ragman,
Ragman wrote:

Well...there's no hurry on that 'cause he'll be playing QB in another city next year. You heard it here first. But...that's not to blame this loss on Tebow, however.

I think the safer bet would be that Tebow will be playing QB nowhere next year.
Ragman

Reply Sat 14 Jan, 2012 11:06 pm
@thack45,
You never know. My prediction (judging by the look-see trials that washed-up QBs got this last yr (Delhomme), I'd say he'll prob'ly be backing up somewhere...but not starting.
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Sat 14 Jan, 2012 11:24 pm

broncos busted...
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Sun 15 Jan, 2012 05:57 am
Is there a good reason why these play off games are not 2 leg affairs? It was a bit unfair on the Saints to have to play in such an intimidating atmosphere as they did without the chance of returning the compliment.

The second leg in the Mercedes-Benz Superdome would be a sell out I'm sure. And attract millions of TV viewers.
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Sun 15 Jan, 2012 06:01 am
@thack45,
Quote:
I like to pause the television so as to avoid suffering idiot commercials...

If we all did that the bloody games wouldn't be on TV and possibly not even played. You're the idiot thack. Too clever by half.
thack45

Reply Sun 15 Jan, 2012 07:16 am
@spendius,
Oh I never suggested we all use DVR... now go on back to your animated lizards, Mike Rowe selling you a piece of crap chevy, and the foray of junk food possibilities
spendius

Reply Sun 15 Jan, 2012 07:29 am
@thack45,
You promoted the idea as clever. And it's stupid. Do what you want but don't promote it.

What's your alternative to junk food? Or motor cars?

The ads define those who watch the games. And pretty classy works of art most of them are.
Ragman

Reply Sun 15 Jan, 2012 07:29 am
@thack45,
I'm a little slow sometimes but I didn't make the association so it took me awhile to figure that Mike Rowe was the same one is the one from the Discovery Channel's program "The Dirty Jobs".
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Sun 15 Jan, 2012 07:46 am
@thack45,
it's even better the way i do it, don't watch the game at all, just check the scores the next morning, no annoying commercials or game play to spoil my fun
spendius

Reply Sun 15 Jan, 2012 07:50 am
@djjd62,
You missed that great game the 49ers won. You poor sod.

I didn't see the other because it was late here when it started. I saw the first drive touchdown and then drifted off. I had been up since half past ten.
djjd62

Reply Sun 15 Jan, 2012 07:57 am
@spendius,
never watched an entire football game (of any kind) in my entire life

rarely watch any sports on tv, if i'm going to sit in front of the tv i'd rather watch something interesting, all the highlights show up on the news and endless blather from radio folks the next few days

i do enjoy the odd live sporting event
spendius

Reply Sun 15 Jan, 2012 08:14 am
@djjd62,
But an NFL game, especially one like that, is very interesting. Most of the other gear on TV is edited, scripted, rehearsed and wangled all to **** and hardly interesting because of that.

Nobody would watch NFL if it was edited, scripted, rehearsed and wangled all to ****. It is its not being that makes it interesting.

Try a $100 a point score difference bet and a six pack. You probably would use the ad breaks to restore blinking.
Ticomaya

Reply Sun 15 Jan, 2012 08:16 am
@realjohnboy,
realjohnboy wrote:
Tico gets a couple of points for being closest to the final score.

Woo hoo!
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Sun 15 Jan, 2012 08:21 am
@spendius,
truth be told, i've never had an interest in sports, not even as a kid, much prefer a book or some talk show on the radio
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Sun 15 Jan, 2012 08:45 am
Passing out snacks (breakfast-type) while awaiting the current standings.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sun 15 Jan, 2012 09:01 am
As most here know, I only watch the games on a small graphic field with arrows going back and forth and a game log underneath that, scoring details below that, and insult making dunderheads blogging in real time below that.

The good part is that I can click on to any of the games that are happening around the same time, so sometimes I watch, say, four more or less at once. No commercials since I half-mute the sound on my computer. I don't see the players playing, but I've watched enough football to visualize a lot of the plays described.

So, what? So I thought the Saints-49ers game was pretty well played by both, given the other team each of them was dealing with. It was absolutely not a dull game, in contrast to the game to follow, which ran on my screen like frozen taffy. It set me up for a good night's sleep, it did.

On commercials, I'm one who actually looks at websites that show all of the superbowl commercials, since I like good ones as a kind of art. But, on my computer, if I am watching my little game graphic on one window, and a2k or a news site, etc., on another, and some blog on another, I'll be reading along on one of those alternate windows and suddenly get shot, yes shot, by the sounds of a commercial on the sports window that sits behind the one I'm reading. Sudden intense volume, phooey on that.
Ragman

Reply Sun 15 Jan, 2012 09:23 am
@ossobuco,
The 49ers-Saints game had the most drama of any game I've watched this year. Perhaps the Broncos-Steelers last week was a fun game with lots of drama and that surprise ending - but this ganme was loaded 'til the end. I hope you get a chance to see the replay of this game in its entirety on cable (NFL channel or the like.) You will not be disappointed.

Seeing Vernon Davis interviewed afterwards was awesome - considering how far he had progressed maturity-wise and performing-wise ... after the problems he had last year with their previous coach.
ossobuco

Reply Sun 15 Jan, 2012 10:05 am
@Ragman,
No cable here..

On Vernon Davis, I remember reading that he was considered as maturing a lot before last year, probably written by a columnist or two in the Chronicle. Maybe acted up last year, I don't remember, but there was a lot going on there over the season to act up about so it's possible I'd be on his side.
Ragman

Reply Sun 15 Jan, 2012 10:15 am
@ossobuco,
When in the last season when Singletary was coach and they started off 0-5 Singletary had his infamous tantrum on-camera tirade and called out Davis with ..."can't win with him" and "not a winner"...etc. His work ethic and maturity was questioned.

This is why after the game they showed on camera Davis overflowing with the emotion of a man that had arrived. Harbaugh hugged him and whispered in his ear right after the game ended as he knew how much the achievement meant to him and his team after Singletary singling him out so publicly and harshly.