The NFL Superbowl Thread! Back Again With Big Prizes*

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 15 Jan, 2012 07:10 pm
The Giants picked a peck of pickled Packers.
0 Replies

realjohnboy

Reply Sun 15 Jan, 2012 07:10 pm
Moving right along...
there is blood on the highway as the Packers fall to the Giants. Only AndyClubber and Coastalrat saw that happening.
Eight of us had Green Bay winning the Super Bowl, but now join the six on the bench who picked the Saints. Seven of us have the Patriots while Tico alone has the Baltimore Ravens.
realjohnboy

Reply Sun 15 Jan, 2012 07:34 pm
Edgar got a point in the NYG-Green Bay scoring thing.
I have AndyClubber leading with 15 points followed by Thack and LiontamerX at 14. Coastalrat and Ragman are at 13.
ossobuco

Reply Sun 15 Jan, 2012 07:41 pm
@realjohnboy,
Drama ensues.
0 Replies

Ragman

Reply Sun 15 Jan, 2012 09:31 pm
@realjohnboy,
hey I actually scored a point or two, albeit in a losing cause:
Houst Texans @ Balt Ravens
21 - 14

Pretty close. Not that it matters a lot now - especially with GB Packers getting knocked out.
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Sun 15 Jan, 2012 11:13 pm
@realjohnboy,
realjohnboy wrote:
Seven of us have the Patriots while Tico alone has the Baltimore Ravens.

I like my chances.
jespah

Reply Mon 16 Jan, 2012 06:44 am
@jespah,
Eek - just putting this here for my own amusement.

jespah wrote:

Saturday, Jan 14th-
GAME #1 (4:30 pm ET)- New Orleans @ San Francisco NO Eek
GAME #2 (8:00)- Denver @ New England NE Yay!
Sunday, Jan 15th-
GAME #3 (1:30)- Houston @ Baltimore HOU Eek
GAME #4 (4:30)- New York Giants @ Green Bay GB Eek

Sunday, Jan 21st-
GAME #5- Pick between your choice to win GAMES #1 and #4 GB No longer possible
GAME #6- Pick between your choice to win GAMES #2 and #3 NE Could happen
SuperBowl Sunday-
GAME #7- Pick between your choice to win GAME # 5 and GAME #6 NECould happen

There only possible score is 17-10. Could happen

Thank you.

I'm guessing I'm not the only one out there with a set of predictions that looks kinda like this. How many people (if any) still have all of the 4 (Patriots, Giants, Niners and Ravens) of the last teams in contention for their last 4? How many have 3? 2? Or does everybody just have 1 team left, like I do?
spendius

Reply Mon 16 Jan, 2012 07:31 am
@Ticomaya,
What's your explanation Tico of why these play-offs are not home and away games. It would be fairer and it would make a lot of money surely.
0 Replies

George

Reply Mon 16 Jan, 2012 07:55 am
@jespah,
I have 2 eeks (Saints and Packers) and 2 yays (Patriots and Ravens).
djjd62

Reply Mon 16 Jan, 2012 08:03 am
@thack45,
i actually enjoy sports talk, one of my fave radio shows has quite a bit of football talk, their friday broadcast had a guy on making perdictions for the weekend games, he did pretty good, but he said that denver would win on the weekend but not go to the superbowl (he did get that part right Wink )

i end up knowing a little bit about it without having to watch (it's the same for 99% of tv shows, don't watch them, but if you listen to talk radio you're gonna know about them)
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Mon 16 Jan, 2012 08:17 am
@George,
RP has the same eek to yay ratio as you, and regarding the same teams.
0 Replies

realjohnboy

Reply Mon 16 Jan, 2012 02:22 pm
Well, we made it through the weekend. A bit the worse for wear. We had 22 players who picked through to the end. 7 players chose New England to win the Super Bowl: George, Rhys, Jespah, Region (all from Boston), McGentrix, Tsarstephen and Thack. CoinToss, also. Only Tico picked Baltimore.
The rest of us selected Green Bay or New Orleans, so we will be watching from the bench.
Thus far the maximum number of points a player could get is 32 by my reckoning.* The points is the goal in this game and there are a maximum of 20 points still available.*
I have AndyClubber at 15 points. He is out of the hunt for the Super Bowl but has Baltimore next weekend. LiontamerX and Thack are at 14 and have New England vs the Ravens on Sunday @ 3 ET. Ragman and Coastalrat have 13 points and the Patriots and Ravens, respectively. Tsarstephen, Mis Cowdoc, Cowdoc, Ehbeth, McGentrix have 12 points followed by JohnBoy @ 11. Osso, Spendius, Region, and Fbaezer are at 10. George and Edgar have 9 while Jespah and Parados have 8. JPB is at 7 along with Jespah. Tico, who joined after the Wild Card games, has 5. CoinToss has 10 points.
I am reasonably confident about the scores but let me know if you think I have gotten something wrong.
*2 points for each correct pick in the 4 Wild Card games + 1 point for being closest to a winning team's score.
3 points for a correct pick in the 4 Divisional games + 1 point for being closest to a winning team's score + 1 bonus point for being closest to the winning team's score and having picked that team to win.
CowDoc

Reply Mon 16 Jan, 2012 03:03 pm
@realjohnboy,
I could be totally wrong, but I think you said you gave CoastalRat and me each two points from the Baltimore game. Are they included?
realjohnboy

Reply Mon 16 Jan, 2012 03:26 pm
@CowDoc,
The score card keeping is complex. I have you as getting 4 points in the wild card games (2 correct picks) + 3 points for picking Baltimore and New England + 2 points for being closest in choosing Baltimore = 12. Am I wrong?
CowDoc

Reply Mon 16 Jan, 2012 03:46 pm
@realjohnboy,
Sounds right. I was confused because I thought the Miz and I picked the same way, which meant the totals should have been different due to the Ravens score. As I said, I could be totally wrong.
realjohnboy

Reply Mon 16 Jan, 2012 03:56 pm
@CowDoc,
I have Mis C going 3 for 4 in the Wild Card games.

The best ESPN is doing well with 16 points while the worst has 7.
CowDoc

Reply Mon 16 Jan, 2012 04:16 pm
@realjohnboy,
Okay, rjb - that makes more sense now. Thanks again!
0 Replies

realjohnboy

Reply Tue 17 Jan, 2012 05:42 pm
The early weather forecasts look good.
Baltimore @ New England...3 pm ET 1/22: Mostly cloudy and 36 degrees
NY Giants @ San Francisco...3:30 PT 1/22: Chance of rain and 52 degrees
ossobuco

Reply Tue 17 Jan, 2012 07:33 pm
Ragman, on the Vernon Davis history of behavior, we were both right but you were more right - Singletary's rant was earlier in the course of events than the Davis/Crabtree stuff. Singletary not being exemplary himself, of course.
You may have seen this writeup -
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2012/writers/ann_killion/01/16/vernon.davis/index.html?sct=nfl_bf3_a4
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Sun 22 Jan, 2012 07:52 am

game day -- FINALLY!
this has been the longest week in the History of Weeks...