The NFL Superbowl Thread! Back Again With Big Prizes*

farmerman

Reply Mon 6 Feb, 2012 06:02 pm
@realjohnboy,
spendi was boasting how he made big bucks by betting the giants. He did pick them the day before on another thread. I also bet like 50 bucks which I shall be proud to donate to the Sicilian cultural association (SCA) get it georgeob?
farmerman

Reply Mon 6 Feb, 2012 06:04 pm
@farmerman,
I didnt watch the game I was busy painting my studio walls. Did anyone have any preferences with the commercials? I heard the radio this AM complain about how lame the commercials were. But I think theyre supposed to say that to get the phone lines working
Ragman

Reply Mon 6 Feb, 2012 06:27 pm
@farmerman,
Such a great game ... full of drama ... all the way to the end. Well worth it to see in replay as they replay it in enirety on cable.

Speaking of entertainment value, the avg cost of 60 sec ad commercials was $3.5 M for air time:

Hyundai, Coca-Cola, Skechers and M&M’s commercials score at the 2012
Super Bowl.

MY fave ad:
Skechers (footwear ad) was one of the best, I thought.

They brought back the Coca-Cola polar bear character and it was pretty cute.

"Hyundai came out on top with its simple, yet memorable Genesis commercial. To demonstrate speed, Hyundai chose a cheetah in this Super Bowl spot. A man pits the speedy animal against a Hyundai Genesis. However, humor comes into play when the cheetah turns on the man after it discovers that the car is faster. The ending was very funny and unexpected. "

0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 6 Feb, 2012 06:28 pm
@farmerman,
They were the worst I've seen - you can watch them on Huffington Post.com if you are feeling masochistic at the moment. I liked two or three of sixty six.

The Chevy Truck commercial (the apocalypse or some such idea), the polar bear thing (2 separate commercials) for Pepsi, and something with a dog and a VW that I liked the first part and didn't get the second part and didn't rerun it.

Hmmm, now they're only showing 21 -
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/02/06/best-super-commercials-2012-vote-beckham-mms_n_1256541.html?ref=media&ir=Media

I figure the commercials are shown on other websites too, just haven't looked that up.

edit, Rags, I remember liking the Sketchers thing, but forget the actual commercial. That's what happens if I watch 66 commercials in a row. Brain fuzz. The Budweiser commercial was elegant to watch but a tad unclear re what Bud Platinum is.
ossobuco

Reply Mon 6 Feb, 2012 06:36 pm
@ossobuco,
So, this site has them all..

http://mashable.com/2012/02/06/super-bowl-2012-commercials/
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Mon 6 Feb, 2012 08:17 pm
I thought the commercials were pretty lame. I did like the Chevrolet apocalypse one, and the Audi vampire one.
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Mon 6 Feb, 2012 09:01 pm
@realjohnboy,
Thanks JohnBoy for plowing this stony field of a game. Your hard work has been appreciated! Very Happy
ossobuco

Reply Mon 6 Feb, 2012 09:07 pm
@tsarstepan,
It's only stony once in a while.
0 Replies

gungasnake

Reply Tue 7 Feb, 2012 06:29 am
@farmerman,
NE gets a lot of mileage out of questionable officiating calls but it wasn't enough to save them this time. There was even one 14-point turnaround in which a G-men drive stalled after a bogus holding call on third and one and the spread could easily have been 14 points greater.
spendius

Reply Tue 7 Feb, 2012 06:53 am
@gungasnake,
That was daylight robbery gunga.
farmerman

Reply Tue 7 Feb, 2012 07:00 am
@spendius,
SO, did you play a spread? or just go even up?
spendius

Reply Tue 7 Feb, 2012 07:57 am
@farmerman,
I told you--I played the spread. I had 3 start. 3lbs extra a racehorse handicapper was giving the Pats.

We can't handicap football teams by putting lead in their boots. Think how long the weigh-in would take before the result was made official.

So the bookies step in to fill this gap in our scientific endeavours and sound men they all are. They handicap sports teams in the manner they used to handicap sprinters in the famous Powderhall Sprint which is The New Year Sprint, formerly known as the "Powderhall", and is a unique event in the annals of sporting history being the last of the old time pedestrian galas. It has been an annual New Year event since 1870, the heyday of pedestrianism (professional footracing) then the sport of the people. The format remains unchanged. All races are handicapped to ensure close finishes and betting adds to the enjoyment of the spectators. The days of huge betting coups and malpractice are long gone but the tradition, spirit and atmosphere remain. To win the "Big Sprint" remains the dream of all competitors no matter their age or ability.

You would probably be on the 94 metre mark fm. I wouldn't be that much nearer the tape; which is at 110 yards.

They give runners starts. It's common at the dogs but dogs can be handicapped by meat pies as well.

I had 3 stake points banked at the kick-off. After the safety I was winning 5. Then a leap then a trough like on the Big Dipper and by the end I was groaning about the idiotic plan to not to try to score a TD and then that lad Bradshaw said "nope" think of our spread betting fans. So he sat down trying to make it look like he had lost his balance probably thinking that that lot won't get past us in 57 secs. So Mr Bradshaw was my Man of the Match.

It was a pity about the attempt at the 2 point conversion. I expect they were getting a bit leg weary.
spendius

Reply Tue 7 Feb, 2012 08:38 am
@spendius,
"The days of huge betting coups and malpractice are long gone", is irony.

It is a scientific fact that if men and money in large amounts are brought together they react spontaneously at room temperature to produce malpractice and where possible huge betting coups. And it has the character of a chain reaction.

And it isn't "we" who choose it. It is those of us who have been identified, by an expensive investigation, as likely customers of the products advertised during Superbowl 46. The majority of the total "we" were doing other things. fm was letting us know he has a studio. Geddit?? He's an artist. Oh Aye. (fakes getting grit out of right eye).

Thus the lesser "we", that's us who watched the game, and Madonna's 1920s peekaboo show, were being given a professional opinion of what sort of people we are and of our standing in the general scheme of things.

We are not shown your ads. They either show their own ads up to the maximum time allowed by statute or they cut to Kevin Cable and a couple of ex-NFL players, one of whom doesn't fit on the screen, when your ads run longer, as they do. And judging by the blather Mr Cable's team regales us with, considerably longer.

We like cars. Or we tend to do. We have dough--that's for sure. We like colour and movement. Razzamattazz. Eating. Drinking. Reclining on luxurious sofas. Goofing off. Being cool. Doing our own thing.

It was a religious ceremonial in worship of Mammon.

They have us taped.
0 Replies

Ragman

Reply Tue 7 Feb, 2012 09:00 am
@realjohnboy,
Good contest and fun game. Sincere thanks for all your efforts.
0 Replies

Sandraer

Reply Mon 16 Apr, 2012 03:40 am
@realjohnboy,
Yes! I miss all 3 teams, though I miss the Nordiques the most, even though I hated them when they were a team here, I miss that rivalry between the Habs and the Nordiques, those were some of the best games.
CowDoc

Reply Mon 16 Apr, 2012 12:15 pm
@Sandraer,
Huh??
Ragman

Reply Mon 16 Apr, 2012 12:19 pm
@CowDoc,
I think it was a misfire. This apparently is someone who is young (14) and getting to know the site.
Rockhead

Reply Mon 16 Apr, 2012 12:19 pm
@Ragman,
and is canajun.
Ragman

Reply Mon 16 Apr, 2012 12:20 pm
@Rockhead,
Hoser, Eh?!
Rockhead

Reply Mon 16 Apr, 2012 12:47 pm
@Ragman,
I think that's Indiana...