Child Support

ossobuco

Reply Sun 4 Jul, 2004 12:33 am
Well, now, that was a worthwhile trip, if only for the judicial backing for your point of view.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Sun 4 Jul, 2004 05:21 am
Montana- I am thrilled to pieces for you. All your hard work paid off. How wonderful! Very Happy
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Sun 4 Jul, 2004 08:50 am
Montana wrote:
I live in Canada, but my sons father lives in Massachusettes where I'll be heading to go to court on the 30th. I left my ex alone all these years when it came to the child support because when I so much as mentioned child support, he used the system to make my life a living hell along with our sons life. At the time I was living in Mass, had my own business and was more than able to provide for my son on my own and it wasn't worth what the man would put me through to push the issue. Now that my son is 17, he no longer has the ability manipulate my life as he did in the past for more years than I care to remember, so I'm finally going to get what I'm entitled too. I just wish I hadn't let him off on all the back support I was owed the last time I was in court with him, because all these years of back support I could have gotten would have come in hand now that it's getting close to the time where my son will be going to college.
[/b]

I think that the rule in Massachusetts is that the divorced father must pay for his child's 4 year college education. I'd check that out, if I were you.
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Sun 4 Jul, 2004 08:54 am
Montana wrote:
I'm so happy. I just got back and I won double what I was getting before :-D

The judge was awesome and even set it up so my ex has to go into court every so often to report his wages, so my support will increase if his wages increase and I don't have to be there. The judge said they would call me on the phone on the court date just to get an agreement from me and I am thrilled. My ex also has to send me a copy of his pay stubs monthly, lol. This worked out even better than I thought :-D

How can the judge double your support, when your husbands earnings have decreased dramatically? If your husband earns close to nothing, where does his support for his son come from?
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Sun 4 Jul, 2004 09:03 am
Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Cool
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Sun 4 Jul, 2004 10:50 am
Thanks so much Osso, Phoenix, and Letty :-)
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Sun 4 Jul, 2004 10:53 am
Miller wrote:
Montana wrote:
I live in Canada, but my sons father lives in Massachusettes where I'll be heading to go to court on the 30th. I left my ex alone all these years when it came to the child support because when I so much as mentioned child support, he used the system to make my life a living hell along with our sons life. At the time I was living in Mass, had my own business and was more than able to provide for my son on my own and it wasn't worth what the man would put me through to push the issue. Now that my son is 17, he no longer has the ability manipulate my life as he did in the past for more years than I care to remember, so I'm finally going to get what I'm entitled too. I just wish I hadn't let him off on all the back support I was owed the last time I was in court with him, because all these years of back support I could have gotten would have come in hand now that it's getting close to the time where my son will be going to college.
[/b]

I think that the rule in Massachusetts is that the divorced father must pay for his child's 4 year college education. I'd check that out, if I were you.

I actually did check that out and there is no law pertaining to college. The law is that support is to be paid until the child is out of high school.
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Sun 4 Jul, 2004 11:00 am
Miller wrote:
Montana wrote:

The judge was awesome and even set it up so my ex has to go into court every so often to report his wages, so my support will increase if his wages increase and I don't have to be there. The judge said they would call me on the phone on the court date just to get an agreement from me and I am thrilled. My ex also has to send me a copy of his pay stubs monthly, lol. This worked out even better than I thought :-D

How can the judge double your support, when your husbands earnings have decreased dramatically? If your husband earns close to nothing, where does his support for his son come from?

My support was very small because I settled for the little I was getting the last time I was in court with him on the custody issue, when I was in fact entitled to double what I agreed too. That's a long story as well. My ex ended up unemployed by his own choice and is able to go back to his previous employer at any time, so since he admitted this in court, the judge gave him one month to get back to work expecting him to make the wages he was making before, since he is able and my support will increase then. Even with his unemployment checks, I am still getting $40 more a week until the judge increases it again at the end of July when my ex goes back to court.
0 Replies

Debra Law

Reply Sun 4 Jul, 2004 02:25 pm
Welcome Back
Montana:

Welcome back from your trip! I'm so glad that it worked out and that you were able to obtain an increase in support for your son.

I'm amazed that your ex-husband actually admitted in court that he could go back to work at his former job anytime he wanted. This admission demonstrates that his unemployed status was cooked up as an attempt to minimize his support obligation. He should be ashamed of himself (as should his employer).
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Mon 5 Jul, 2004 02:25 am
Thanks Debra. I was pretty amazed that he admitted it as well. He claimed that he and his boss were not getting along and his boss agreed to lay him off for awhile until they had time to cool off, but I know better than that. Either way, he made my case for me ;-)

It was a very happy day :-D
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Mon 5 Jul, 2004 07:32 am
Montana wrote:
Miller wrote:
Montana wrote:
[/b]

I actually did check that out and there is no law pertaining to college. The law is that support is to be paid until the child is out of high school.

I think the law was changed to include college. I heard this on a lawyer program on the radio.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Mon 5 Jul, 2004 11:13 am
Miller--

I'm not sure about MA, but in PA the logic is that a child in an intact home is not entitled to automatic college tuition paid by his parents. Therefore neither is a child of divorce.
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Mon 5 Jul, 2004 12:05 pm
Miller
I wish it was the case, but I brought the subject up in mediation after I already did research on it and he only has to pay support for our son until he finishes high school.

Noddy
I believe it's the same for MA.
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Mon 5 Jul, 2004 07:34 pm
Montana wrote:
I was pretty amazed that he admitted it as well.

So, on top of being a worthless, deadbeat S.O.B., he's stupid as well. And he's lost his wallet! Let the party begin!!!
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Mon 5 Jul, 2004 08:20 pm
http://www.able2know.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=776441#776441

PARTY FOR MONTANA!!! EVERYBODY COME!!!
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Tue 6 Jul, 2004 11:06 am
Eva wrote:
Montana wrote:
I was pretty amazed that he admitted it as well.

So, on top of being a worthless, deadbeat S.O.B., he's stupid as well. And he's lost his wallet! Let the party begin!!!

Actually, I think he played it smart since I had lots of things in my folder that he certainly didn't want me to break out. He knew I had been preparing for this for a long time and knew that I could put him in very tight spot. Before we went into mediation, I told him that it would be wise for him to do the right thing for once and if he didn't, I wasn't going to hold anything back. He knew that things would get ugly for him if he decided to fight me on this, so he certainly made things much easier on himself ;-)

Thanks for the party you sweet thing :-D
0 Replies

zacksmom

Reply Tue 6 Jul, 2004 03:14 pm
Montana wrote:

That's wonderful Montana!!!!! Glad things went so well for you!
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Tue 6 Jul, 2004 03:26 pm
Thaks very much Zacksmom and I wish the very same for you as well :-D
0 Replies

zacksmom

Reply Tue 6 Jul, 2004 03:38 pm
thanks!!!! I am hoping everything goes well tomorrow for me. :-) I will let you know!
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Tue 6 Jul, 2004 03:41 pm
Yes, please do. I'm sitting at the edge of my seat waiting to hear what happens.
0 Replies