An Apology

Heeven

Reply Thu 29 Jan, 2004 10:28 am
It's just so difficult to please everyone that I get tired of hearing complaints. I am not happy with everything that goes on around me but I find it such a waste of energy getting myself into a state about it. Since I cannot control it all, I just let it go. When I read your initial post here, what grabbed me was ...

Quote:
I must say that I have been disappointed by many discussions here. Someone voiced their opinion that a2k is more arid and intellectual than abuzz but I find the discussions more cursorary (sp?) and often undeveloped while I have actually had some interesting discussions with conservatives on abuzz recently.

My reaction was as if a child was being slapped and told his brother is better than he is. What's the use of that? Encouragement? I think not.

I understood all your other comments regarding the glass and the other thread being closed. It was the above statement that obviously niggled me.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 29 Jan, 2004 10:32 am
niggled?
0 Replies

Heeven

Reply Thu 29 Jan, 2004 10:55 am
Hmm, I used niggle in the sense that it irritated or bothered me, but I looked up the definition and got ...

Niggle
(v. i.) To move about restlessly or without result; to fidget.
(v. i.) To be finicky or excessively critical; to potter; esp., to work with excessive care for trifling details, as in painting.
(v. t.) To trifle with; to deceive; to mock.
(v. t.) To trifle or play.
(v. t.) To act or walk mincingly.
(v. t.) To fret and snarl about trifles.
(v. t.) To use, spend, or do in a petty or trifling manner.
(v. t.) To elaborate excessively, as in art.

So ... I could be guilty of being excessively critical of POM.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 29 Jan, 2004 11:37 am
Like your hair, though, Boss, it's you . . .
0 Replies

PegasusPatt

Reply Thu 29 Jan, 2004 12:44 pm
Anyone wanna continue the Glass bein' half-full or half-empty? lol Smile That is a question I've heard so very many people ask, & have always wondered why one doesn't just say, "Does it really matter"? But on the other hand, I guess I'm an enthusiast in the point of: If I'm runnin' too low in my Glass, by all means, fill it back up, wouldn't want to run out, just when I might need it most, & can't get to anywhere to fill it back up!!! Wink

Opinions are just that, opinions, but... I wouldn't go as far to say that I regretted turnin' others on to this Site! What a terrible source is the Human Race that is continuously tryin' to manipulate what they want others to think... And, on the comment of how you may act/behave when you're w/your friends, well, my money's on your friends & their responses to your attitude... Ok, I'm done now... lol Wink

Have a Good 'Un Y'all! Life's Too Short Not To! Smile
Patt
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Thu 29 Jan, 2004 12:58 pm
If the glass is only half-empty, clearly nobody is suffering from thirst, which is a good thing. No?
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Thu 29 Jan, 2004 01:34 pm
In theory, the whole glass and it's contents is a metaphor for optimism vs. pessimism.

I believe that the original idea was that conservatives tend to be optimists while liberals tend to be pessimists.

am I wrong in the belief that this was the original intent of the thread?
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Thu 29 Jan, 2004 01:38 pm
Thank you Heeven. I took it the same way. Boorish and rude.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Thu 29 Jan, 2004 01:45 pm
I should also add that I think it might not have been intended that way.
0 Replies

Heeven

Reply Thu 29 Jan, 2004 02:14 pm
You could be right Craven. Poor POM is probably reeling from my "niggle". Apologies plainoldme if I offended you.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 29 Jan, 2004 06:22 pm
I am guessing POM was taken aback by having a topic locked when trying to get a discussion going. Topics are locked when terms of service aren't being paid attention to by whomever, right? That is how it is here, and while it smarts if it happens on your own topic, I think the terms of service facilitate communication in the long run. I think people do actually learn from each other here.

On glasses (they are so much nicer, usually, than bottles) - half full ones make me think of time passed talking with friends, and of looking forward to some topping up...
0 Replies

PegasusPatt

Reply Fri 30 Jan, 2004 07:46 am
Niggles, a very interesting word indeeed!

No one being thirsty is a grand concept, but one never knows, you know? How many times have you woke up during the night & said to yourself: "I'm thirsty"? And, if you do, do you have a half-full/half-empty glass of water, (or whatever), by your bedside? If not, & you're really THAT thirsty, you're gonna get up & go get somethin' to wet your whistle, yes? If not, well good for you, that's a sure sign that your not thirsty, & as I said, no one bein' thirsty is a grand thing! Smile

Have a good 'un!
Patt

Call me a Conservative or a Liberal, only I know for sure! lol Wink
0 Replies

plainoldme

Reply Fri 30 Jan, 2004 09:27 am
Actually, when the person who wrote, probably in abuzz, that she ( I believe it was a woman) found a2k overly intellectual, I was surprised. I find it much more polite. I like polite. I worked very hard to make abuzz more polite but have sort of succumbed to being rude there. Not that I spam or steal identities. I do not hold back from calling a person a fool if I feel them a fool.

I saw glasses in two catalogs (Sur La Table and NapaStyle) that have a little equator line with the Italian word for optimist written above and the word for pessimist written below. When I get my tax return, I'll buy them for the joke on me.

I think you can only be motivated to do social active things if you are a pessimist. I think liberals tend to be pessimists because they are on the look out for the underdog and tend to see him everywhere.

There is a new book the says all three of our basic theories about human nature -- Locke's, Rousseau's and the blank slate -- are wrong in part and right in part. They probably are but where in the world this is leading, I don't know!

I was hugely disappointed when the other discussion was locked and felt responsible for it -- fie on the people who tell me I refuse to take responsibility. I am burdened with responsibility which I feel is sort of the pessimist's lot. I didn't think the contra temps that occurred there was so bad. Besides, it involved someone I like and I hated to feel I made this person a target.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Fri 30 Jan, 2004 04:08 pm
I am unsure what intellectual has to do with impoliteness?

However, POM, it is not reasonable, I think, to feel responsible for what threads turn into (though I know the feeling - however, in the thread of mine I am thinking of I had a hand in the downward turn).

Yours was an obviously likely to turn to conflict thread, by its nature - but the people concerned chose to turn that conflict into ridiculous name calling. It could have stayed at the level of civil discourse.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Fri 30 Jan, 2004 04:34 pm
dlowan wrote:
It could have stayed at the level of civil discourse.

heheheheheheheheheheheheheheheheeheeheeheeheeheeheeheeheeheeheeheeheeheeheeheeha
hahahahahahahahHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA . . .

(wiping tears from my eyes . . .)

Ya gotta quit that out, Bunny, yer killin' me here . . .
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Fri 30 Jan, 2004 04:42 pm
Blimey, Set - not ALL political threads here are closed!!!!! Not even hardly any of 'em.

Wot ya saying?
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Fri 30 Jan, 2004 04:48 pm
That civil discourse in political threads is a chimera.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Fri 30 Jan, 2004 04:52 pm
Not for everyone...
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Fri 30 Jan, 2004 05:13 pm
I know, Boss, just indulging in a little hyperbole. I have been trying mightily to clean up my act for several months now, having been shamed by what is saw as the consistent courtesy of CodeBorg in the face of scurrilous attacks. Now, when i go after someone in a thread, its because they've been picking on someone else. I can stand the heat, and i like it in the kitchen . . . it's where the food is, you know.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Fri 30 Jan, 2004 05:26 pm
Hmmmmm - I find it best t go away for a little while, if my blood pressure rises.

At least, I WOULD find it best - if I did it...
0 Replies