An Apology

Reply Tue 27 Jan, 2004 06:28 pm
I started a thread based on the concept of glasses, and therefore, the point of view of the person observing the glasses, being half full or half empty.

I thought it was rather innocuous. Also, because the concept occupied my mind for some time as a person accused of seeing glasses as partially drained (or never really filled to start with) who sees this condition as positive and motivating, I thought it would be interesting to discuss it.

I chose to bring it up here rather than on abuzz because I thought this was the more civil environment.

I must say that I have been disappointed by many discussions here. Someone voiced their opinion that a2k is more arid and intellectual than abuzz but I find the discussions more cursorary (sp?) and often undeveloped while I have actually had some interesting discussions with conservatives on abuzz recently.

I behave better here myself: I confess I like to bait the right more than a little.

My discussion has been locked. I saw no reason for it. I am sorely disappointed and sorry that I invited rancour.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 3,447 • Replies: 61
No top replies

Brand X

Reply Tue 27 Jan, 2004 08:38 pm
I never liked the half full-half empty arguement, just fill the damn thing up.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Tue 27 Jan, 2004 08:55 pm
I always buy the full litre so the glass is always near full.
http://www.awa.dk/whisky/makemark/makersmark_label.jpg
0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Tue 27 Jan, 2004 09:00 pm
and who are you on abuzz? Just curious. I'm not quite as polite there either.
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Tue 27 Jan, 2004 09:06 pm
I missed that thread.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Tue 27 Jan, 2004 09:08 pm
Assuming it's a plastic glass, you slice it down the middle, making the full/empty argument moot. Better to swig straight from the bottle.
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Tue 27 Jan, 2004 09:10 pm
A plastic glass? What's next, glass plastics?
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Tue 27 Jan, 2004 09:12 pm
They got it, you know.
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Tue 27 Jan, 2004 09:14 pm
I'm always a step behind. Hopefully my vote for Goldwater won't go for ill...
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Tue 27 Jan, 2004 09:16 pm
I voted for Goldwater also.
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Tue 27 Jan, 2004 09:21 pm
Had I been alive, I prolly would have...
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Tue 27 Jan, 2004 09:34 pm
I was in the Navy - Slipped away to attend a rally. Speaking for Goldwater onstage were Ronald Reagan and John Wayne. I was thoroughly dazzled and convinced that "Extremism in pursuit of virute is not a vice." - or some such crap. We got creamed, but it was a fun year.
0 Replies

colorbook

Reply Tue 27 Jan, 2004 11:49 pm
It was election time and I was in line to shake Reagan's hand. His secret service suddenly spirited him away...I didn't vote for him that year either.
0 Replies

Heywood

Reply Wed 28 Jan, 2004 01:31 am
Well, not to beat a dead horse, but the answer was there all along....

Get a smaller glass.
0 Replies

plainoldme

Reply Wed 28 Jan, 2004 06:58 pm
Sigh! I must be overly sensitive.
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Wed 28 Jan, 2004 07:55 pm
I'm not really sure what you were apoligizing for here p_o_m. The thread you started (that you refer to in this thread) was fine. There wasn't anything wrong with it or the way you worded it. It was very innocuous.

The problem came from others that couldn't just address the thread without sniping and rancor. I don't see how that could be your fault. *shrugs*
0 Replies

PegasusPatt

Reply Wed 28 Jan, 2004 07:59 pm
THIS MESSAGE BOARD... Surprised)
textI thought the same of this particular Message Board, (but I don't regret referring anyone here whatsoever), & I do believe that in the days to come there will most definately be more debating on some very serious issues here... I surely hope so! I'd like to put my 2 cents worth in myself, but as of yet, my thoughts are still a bit scrambled, but I'm workin' on it! lol Smile Have a good 'un...
Cold Tonight In Kentucky,
Patt

P.S. This Site that you referring to as being more active, is it any more active than this one? Thanks... Smile
0 Replies

Heeven

Reply Thu 29 Jan, 2004 08:22 am
What's the point of your statement plainoldme? By insulting A2kers are you looking for an argument? Trying to stoke the fires and get some responses more to your liking or that you can sink your teeth into? While there are many message boards and chat sites and a whole multitude of various people out there mixing and chatting and discussing and politiking and sharing, what makes you think that you will find everything your heart desires on any one, or even two of those sites? Each of these sites are what the participants make it. If you're not happy (and believe me, no-one ever is) with interactions then move on. I'm not saying I don't want you here, I do. I happen to like you. I guess I just don't understand why some posters bitch and moan about others responsiveness to them or the lack of intellectual, humorous, savvy, whatever responses they receive. I wonder if you would do that in real life? If you were out with a bunch of friends and the conversation was not as stimulating as you would like, would you say "okay folks, you're conversation is not blowing my skirt up here so I'm gonna go over to that table in the corner and see if they're any better". POM your pals would pummel you and leave you with the bill. We onliners, on the other hand, are more forgiving.
To each their own!
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 29 Jan, 2004 08:54 am
I would like to observe that in the run-up to the Shrub's dirty little war, the temperature at this site was much hotter, and the rhetoric much more hostile and accusatory. If the place seems tame now, one would do well to consider that many of the "regulars" here have a sense of community, and people have backed-off the nastiness. I applaud the move. As for a contention that discussions here are cursory, i would point out that many here are refugees from the "flamer" boards, and that many of the discussions outside the political arena are very profound and imformative.

Personally, i've tried to clean up my act. Flaming others and trollish behavior are not evidence of profundity in the political threads--if anything, they are indicative of childishness.
0 Replies

plainoldme

Reply Thu 29 Jan, 2004 10:08 am
Gee Louise!

heeven -- First of all, I was angry that the discussion was closed.

Second, the whole idea that we commonly express as a glass being half full or empty is important to me.

Who was the wag that said, "Get a bigger glass"? I like that!

Third, I hate the notion that I started something that became unpleasant.

Fourth, I was astonished by whoever said this forum was too intellectual and was responding to that. There are many times when I prefer to with hold an answer for a period of time and think things over.
0 Replies