jespah

Reply Fri 30 Jan, 2004 08:15 pm
Quite a week you've all been having, eh?
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Fri 30 Jan, 2004 08:26 pm
Yeah! Shocked

Hope it's past tense now... (fingers crossed.)
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Fri 30 Jan, 2004 08:32 pm
Past tense is good. And I'm sure the cookies will be nice - baked with remorse as it were.

<can you tell I'm avoiding studying?> :-D
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 30 Jan, 2004 08:36 pm
Oh, good, good, and good. Yah, we all process personally, even with privacy at three... or whatever. And clear emotional rewards for honest discussion seem to me worthwhile, but what do I know, huh.

and I din't mean to indict old young Jack, poor kid, positioned herein as Everyman......

I love them all, including the next guy, and who is that, the one they react to??? (not awful lens on new guy...)
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Fri 30 Jan, 2004 08:57 pm
<A2K is great in the avoiding-studying department! And the avoiding-writing-dissertations, and avoiding-doing-fundraising-drudgery, and...>

Osso, followed and agreed with first and second sentences, lost me at the third. I've not been around A2K much the last few days, though, prolly a reference I'm just missing.
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Fri 30 Jan, 2004 09:31 pm
Sounds like you and sozlet have some good friends. I'm happy to hear it! Wishing you peace and (relative) quiet this weekend....

(((((SOZ)))))
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Sat 31 Jan, 2004 02:38 am
Sozobe --

This thing about "broke the window with his head" made me cringe. Glad it's over. Enjoy the cookies! Smile

PS to Eva: Your post was the first time I heard about this razorblades-in-halloween-apples business, so I searched the web to see what it was all about. Turns out Snopes is very skeptical about these stories. They're calling it "undetermined", with just one more incident to check before they call it "false":

http://www.snopes.com/horrors/poison/hallowee.htm
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Sat 31 Jan, 2004 11:21 am
Yeah, I had to stop myself from going down the "what if..." path several times. No point. But eek.

Wow, the razor-blades-in-apples thing is harder to explan than I realized. Have started several sentences, all of them beginning with, "Not to speak for Eva..." I'm sure she will explain, herself. But it's more about the image of the anti-social, anti-kid troll exploring his dark side a little TOO thoroughly than anything factual, per se.
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Sat 31 Jan, 2004 06:27 pm
Exactly, soz. I was just teasing Thomas. I forgot he isn't in the U.S.

Thomas -- The razor-blades-in-apples thing is an oft-repeated horror story that seems to resurface every year at Halloween no matter how little truth there is to it. There are still a lot of gullible parents in the U.S. that believe it. And will not allow their children to have fun "trick or treating" because of it. They really believe there's a bunch of sickos in every town stuffing apples, etc. The hospitals here have even gone so far as to offer to x-ray children's goodie bags for free on Halloween. (They never find anything, though.) It's really gotten out of control.

My silly remark meant,"Exploring your dark side with the kiddies, huh? You must be the one that's stuffing all those apples with razor blades at Halloween!" I was just teasing you. Really.

I'm sorry. It was a good joke, just the wrong audience. Embarrassed
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Sun 1 Feb, 2004 03:20 pm
Eva wrote:
Exactly, soz. I was just teasing Thomas. I forgot he isn't in the U.S.

My silly remark meant,"Exploring your dark side with the kiddies, huh? You must be the one that's stuffing all those apples with razor blades at Halloween!" I was just teasing you. Really.

That's how I took your remark, don't worry Smile I was just under the mistaken impression that you believe this story yourself, so I succumbed to my reflexes, which told me to Snopes this belief to death. It was a good joke, whether or not you believed the razor-blade stoy. It's just that I never let a good joke keep me from being a know-it-all.

Greetings, and have a nice Sunday evening! Smile

-- Thomas
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Sun 1 Feb, 2004 04:11 pm
Thanks, and I will!

I use both snopes and urbanlegend.com. WAY too often, I might add. Guess I'm just cynical by nature.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Wed 25 Feb, 2004 10:21 pm
Quick update -- had signed up for two sessions of this class at once, and decided to cancel after the end of this session. I fulfilled the immediate goal, defusing the situation and not leaving it at the freak-out moment, but she persistently said she didn't want to go to class, which was new for her. So she's enrolled in a gymnastics class instead, also solo, and LOVING it.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Wed 25 Feb, 2004 11:34 pm
I couldn't figure out what I meant either, went back and think I was referring to Jack's new playmate, but never mind, I was rambling (sigh).

Gymnastics, well then! Better than tension any day..
0 Replies