Anyone here alive in the 195o's?

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Thu 17 Nov, 2011 10:35 pm
@farmerman,
I'm certainly not ashamed to agree with David.

I really don't care whether it met some narrow definition of the term, it was a war that was fought across the wide world. To me that is a world war.

Because the Cold War doesn't meet the definition you accept for World War, apparently we can't discuss the substance of what a world wide war might entail.

If you guys are comfortable arguing such a "pedantic" point, go for it.
Finn dAbuzz

Reply Thu 17 Nov, 2011 10:36 pm
@Setanta,
That's quite an assumption, but typical.

0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Fri 18 Nov, 2011 01:05 am
@Finn dAbuzz,
Finn dAbuzz wrote:
If you guys are comfortable arguing such a "pedantic" point, go for it.

I don't think that at has anythimg with 'our' "pedantic" view but with Clary's question/thread here.

On the other hand, if you Finn. don't mind at what satndards subjects at high schools are taught, go for it.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Fri 18 Nov, 2011 04:43 am
Just for the record, Patton was nothing special militarily. Sure, he was aggressive, but officers who weren't aggressive got winnowed out pretty quickly. He showed no particular military brilliance, just competency. His fame comes from the fact that he was always so likely to say something stupid, so the press crowded around him. By contrast, almost nobody recalls Courtney Hodges, yet his First Army advanced across France just as fast as Patton's Third Army, and his Ninth Armored Division crossed the Rhine before anyone else. The main difference was PR--Hodges wasn't interested in it and Patton lived for it. Patton's ideas were bullshit, and it's a good thing nobody paid him any heed.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Fri 18 Nov, 2011 04:48 am
@Finn dAbuzz,
Finn dAbuzz wrote:
Because the Cold War doesn't meet the definition you accept for World War, apparently we can't discuss the substance of what a world wide war might entail.

Typical. Now you're starting to sound like Chicken Little. Nobody's stopping you from discussing what a world war might entail. If you get ridiculed because you can't distinguish proxy wars and brush fire wars from a world war, that's your problem, not ours. It is not pedantic to point out that you're wrong, it's just entertaining. I've already discussed in detail the proxy wars of the Cold War, and how they differ from a real world war.
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Fri 18 Nov, 2011 09:38 am
Does anyone remember the rest of the words to First Day of Peacetime?

There's an updated version floating around on the web, but I used to sing this version:

On the first day of peacetime, my government said to me,
"There won't be a World War III."

On the second day of peacetime, my government said to me,
"Save your uniforms,
But, there won't be a World War III."

On the third day of peacetime, my government said to me,
Build a fallout shelter,
Save your uniforms,
But there won't be a World War III."

And that is all I remember....

Joe(anybody?)Nation
0 Replies