Anyone here alive in the 195o's?

Walter Hinteler

Reply Wed 16 Nov, 2011 10:54 am
re your teacher, Gracie, Set is correct.

And his small summary in reality is better than some paragraphs in history books (for your age group).
0 Replies

Sturgis

Reply Wed 16 Nov, 2011 11:05 am
@Finn dAbuzz,
Quote:
As you can tell, Setanta doesn't like me every much.

Heckems, he likes you a lot more than he likes me...he still reads your posts. After he told me to hurry up and drop dead (which was shortly after I nearly had from a health matter), I made the major error of calling him Sport. Poor old sap went nuclear. Days later, he indicated to someone...for I don't know to this day, what reason..that he had me on ignore. It was one of Sarcastica's many meaningless rants.

I wouldn't fret much over your spelling errors either, a quick check of Saracsatica's (Setanta's new name) postings, shows he ain't no spelling whiz either, or fact whiz. 80% of his writing here is googled and pasted in. Often his pompous asswipe posts are factually incorrect...just don't tell him that or he'll stomp his feet and suck his thumb.
Setanta

Reply Wed 16 Nov, 2011 11:27 am
As a matter of fact, clown, i don't have anyone on ignore. I sometimes read your posts, but as was the case with this one, i don't have to finish reading to know it's a waste of my time.
Sturgis

Reply Wed 16 Nov, 2011 11:31 am
@Setanta,
I feel so blessed, finally he has acknowledged me.

Sadly, I may feel compelled now to track down the posts where he indicates to various individuals that he has another on ignore.

Nah, he ain't worth the effort.
Setanta

Reply Wed 16 Nov, 2011 12:57 pm
@Sturgis,
Ah-hahahahahahahaha . . .

"It ain't worth the effort" because it ain't true, dipshit.
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Wed 16 Nov, 2011 01:02 pm
@Sturgis,
Normally I don't care whether or not I've misspelled a word, but if I'm suggesting Gracie google a word, I should spell it correctly.

I don't know Sturgis, if Setanta has you on ignore that you must deserve it, and if calls you clown, I hope you've stocked up on red noses and seltzer water. As we all know, he's never wrong.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Wed 16 Nov, 2011 01:12 pm
As a neutral outsider whose business it is not, I note that Set, when he ignores people, simply scrolls past their posts. He might tell people he is ignoring them, but does that without the aid of a button to click.

Many of the rest of us do that kind of ignoring too. It can be complicated - I sometimes read a person on general subjects and ignore him/her on others... and I assume I'm not the only person who goes back and forth like that.

So, back to being alive in the fifties -
I thought Set's description of World War II was extremely well done.
I strongly doubt he cuts and pastes from google.
0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Wed 16 Nov, 2011 01:38 pm
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v288/stevetheq/pedant_cartoon.jpg
Pemerson

Reply Wed 16 Nov, 2011 02:23 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
What were the words, exactly, that General George Patton announced during his participation in the rebuilding of Germany following WWII? Don't stop in East Berlin, just keep going into Russia and kill Stalin -- something like that.
farmerman

Reply Wed 16 Nov, 2011 02:38 pm
@blueveinedthrobber,
HAAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH. I glommed it.
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Wed 16 Nov, 2011 02:43 pm
@Pemerson,
Don't know of anything close to that but he did say or write the following

Quote:
"Let's keep our boots polished, bayonets sharpened, and present a picture of force and strength to the Red Army. This is the only language they understand and respect."

Quote:
"I understand the situation. Their (the Soviet) supply system is inadequate to maintain them in a serious action such as I could put to them. They have chickens in the coop and cattle on the hoof -- that's their supply system. They could probably maintain themselves in the type of fighting I could give them for rive days. After that it would make no difference how many million men they have, and if you wanted Moscow I could give it to you. They lived on the land coming down. There is insufficient left for them to maintain themselves going back. Let's not give them time to build up their supplies. If we do, then . . . we have had a victory over the Germans and disarmed them, but we have failed in the liberation of Europe; we have lost the war!'

Quote:
"In my opinion, the American Army as it now exists could beat the Russians with the greatest of ease, because, while the Russians have good infantry, they are lacking in artillery, air, tanks, and in the knowledge of the use of the combined arms, whereas we excel in all three of these. If it should be necessary to right the Russians, the sooner we do it the better."

Quote:
"Berlin gave me the blues. We have destroyed what could have been a good race, and we are about to replace them with Mongolian savages. And all Europe will be communist. It's said that for the first week after they took it (Berlin), all women who ran were shot and those who did not were raped. I could have taken it (instead of the Soviets) had I been allowed."

Quote:
"I will probably be in the headlines before you get this, as the press is trying to quote me as being more interested in restoring order in Germany than in catching Nazis. I can't tell them the truth that unless we restore Germany we will insure that communism takes America."

Quote:
"I would have you tell the Red Army where their border is, and give them a limited time to get back across. Warn them that if they fail to do so, we will push them back across it."

Interesting to consider how history would have turned out if Patton was heeded.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 16 Nov, 2011 02:46 pm
Certainly a lot more Americans would have died needlessly.
Finn dAbuzz

Reply Wed 16 Nov, 2011 09:44 pm
@Setanta,
Undoubtedly a lot more of Americans would have died, but it's by no means certain that it would have been "needlessly"

Clearly if a US attempt to put the Soviets down was unsuccessful the American who died in the effort would have done so needlessly, but I tend to agree with Patton, that if we had moved on them post WWII we would have neutered them.

Approx 34,000 young Americans died in Korea and about 50,000 died in Vietnam.

There's no certainty that a neutered Russia would have prevented Korea or Vietnam. but it's a reasonable assumption that it would have.

Without a Soviet Union engaged in a World War with us there might very possibly have been less dead Cambodians, Laotians, Angolans, Afghanis et al

Not American lives of course but worth something.

Obviously this sort of "what if" conjecture can't be settled with certainty, but it's interesting.
Walter Hinteler

Reply Thu 17 Nov, 2011 01:11 am
@Finn dAbuzz,
Interesting idea.

I'm glad, it is just an idea.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 17 Nov, 2011 03:24 am
Leaving aside that the Soviet Union was our ally at the time, it is useful to consider that we had gone into Europe with fewer divisions than the Germans had, and that our air power had sustained us in the field. Russian production facilities would have been beyond the reach of our bombers (even if the Brits had been stupid enough to join us, we would not have had the ability to use the air bombardment capacity which made a shambles of Germany). Unlike the Germans, the Russians would have had no lack of petroleum. Although the Pershing tank had begun to reach Europe, we still relied heavily on the Sherman tank, which was inferior to Soviet armor. We were vastly outnumbered by the Soviets. Europe itself could not have sustained us with the resources we would have needed for such an offensive.

Finally, it would have done nothing to prevent the Soviets from getting nuclear weapons. They were already being fed crucial data by American and English agents of the Soviet Union working on the periphery of the Manhattan Project. Quite apart from that, the Soviets did not lack the intellectual or technical expertise to have developed it themselves. The only way to have prevented that event would have been to completely crush the Red Army, and then successfully invade and occupy the Soviet Union, which stretched from central Eurpe to the Pacific Ocean north of Japan. Hmmm . . . let's see, invade and occupy Russia . . . hmmm . . . that didn't work out too well for Charles XII in 1708-09, nor for Napoleon in 1812, nor for Hitler in 1941. Why would anyone be so lame-brained as to think that we could have pulled it off, all while still fighting the Japanese in the Pacific? It sure beats the hell out of me . . .
Setanta

Reply Thu 17 Nov, 2011 03:27 am
We were not, of course, engaged in a "world war" with the Soviet Union after 1945, when we were engaged with them as our ally. I'm sure Finn thought he'd be pretty damned slick by slipping that bullshit into the conversation.
farmerman

Reply Thu 17 Nov, 2011 05:17 am
@Setanta,
Dave has finally gotten to the Finnster. Dave , in his unique writing style, has claimed in many feet of bold letters that we won the 3rd world war with the Tommies.
Setanta

Reply Thu 17 Nov, 2011 05:30 am
Here's a good one for Gracie, a slice of late 50s culture . . .

World War III Marching Song by Tom Lehrer

0 Replies

Lustig Andrei

Reply Thu 17 Nov, 2011 02:11 pm
@Setanta,
Excellent summary of the state of affairs in the Summer of 1945, Set!
Setanta

Reply Thu 17 Nov, 2011 03:01 pm
@Lustig Andrei,
Thanks, Boss. Not that i think it will sink in. People who make a great hero out of Patton are the same kind of people who believe the Pearl Harbor conspiracy ****. They're more dedicated to their dreams than to reality.