Anyone here alive in the 195o's?

GracieGirl

Reply Mon 14 Nov, 2011 04:01 pm
@GracieGirl,
Oh! And the Cold War was NOT the Third World War. There was no fighting in the Cold War. There was arguments and tension between the US and the Soviet Union but there was no actual fighting! WWIII hasn't occurred yet.
fbaezer

Reply Mon 14 Nov, 2011 04:10 pm
@GracieGirl,
On Communism, I'd put this in blue:
-No private person should be allowed to profit from the work from other citizens

And these in red:
-A controlled economy... that didn't deliver true well-being
-Only one party of Government--no need for any more
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Mon 14 Nov, 2011 04:31 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
Finn dAbuzz wrote:
I was only 6 when the 50's came to close and while I remember "air raid" drills as they were called on Long Island NY,
the real anxiety didn't start until the 60's. [?????]
I must respectfully dissent.
I was pretty nervous in the 1940s and 50s.
I was thrilled when we electrocuted the communist spies,
Julius & Ethel Rosenberg in 1953 for stealing the atomic bomb. I cheered.
That was the least we coud have done. Thay caused the Korean War.
Stalin woud not have dared to start it, without any access to nuclear weaponry.
He knew what we did to the Japs.

Finn dAbuzz wrote:
The real anxiety developed, for me, during the Cuban Missile Crisis which, of course, was in 1963. At age 9 I had a fair understanding of what was going on (at least in terms of what the News of the day was telling us) and I could easily tell that my parents were very nervous. It was a scary time.
I felt no emotion at that time, other than HOPE that we 'd restore freedom in Cuba.
I deemed it a lot of political theater, engineered by Kennedy, qua the forthcoming Congressional elections.
Indiana's Senator Homer Capehart had warned of communist missiles in Cuba during the summer of 1962. Kennedy denounced him,
excoriated him, for being "an alarmist" falsely alleging that those commie missiles were in Cuba, until an OCTOBER SURPRIZE
just before the Congressional elections, making himself look like a hero immediately b4 those elections. It worked.
The Democrats did not lose as many seats in Congress as was expected.

Then Kennedy paid the communists for removing those missiles
by removing our own missiles from Turkey, rendering us less safe than we had been.

Note that Kennedy never apologized to Sen. Capehart for falsely denouncing him. Kennedy was shameless.

During the "crisis" Kennedy never admitted that Sen. Capehart had WARNED us of those missiles,
several months before Kennedy suddenly *found out* about them, just b4 those elections.
The Kennedys had no honor; that concept was alien to them.

Finn dAbuzz wrote:
I recall having nightmares from time to time about some country, Russia or China "dropping the bomb,"
and I specifically remember waking up in terror in the middle of the night shouting "Please don't drop the bomb!"
I had no nightmares,
but I had plenty of daymares of the communists WINNING
and enslaving the rest of the Earth, including us
because we were insufficiently aggressive & too timid in our defense.

Finn dAbuzz wrote:
I also recall when Khrushchev was ousted in 1964 and thinking we were in a lot of trouble.
Since the Cuban Missiled Crisis was defused under his regime I had
come to the conclusion that he was the only sane Russian leader,
and I was certain that the very grim looking Leonoid Brezhnev was a very dangerous man.
I had an odd experience concerning him:
I was in my bathroom, washing my hands, when an idea came into my mind,
a picture of Brezhnev giving a communist speech in Red Square
(as thay all used to do). In the picture in my mind, a big black bird
landed on Brezhnev 's head and he proceeded to evacuate his bowels on Brezhnev's head,
and on the papers from which he was reading his speech, thereby preventing Brezhnev from proceeding further.

The next day, the Kremlin announced that Brezhnev was dead.

The end of communism on Christmas Day of 1991 was almost the happiest day of my life.
When I wanna cheer myself up, I remember the death of communism. Freedom won.

The existence of Pink China, North Korea & Cuba r not too dangerous to our freedom.
Thay r not trying to take over the world. We r safe from communism and nazism.

David
OmSigDAVID

Reply Mon 14 Nov, 2011 04:46 pm

An interesting by-product of Kennedy 's betrayal of the Cuban Freedom Fighters,
when thay tried to overthrow Castro to restore freedom in Cuba
was our Moon Landing. In an effort to divert attention from his treachery
against those Cuban Freedom Fighters to whom we'd promised support,
Kennedy began the Lunar Landing Project.

David
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Mon 14 Nov, 2011 04:50 pm
@GracieGirl,
GracieGirl wrote:

Oh! And the Cold War was NOT the Third World War. There was no fighting in the Cold War. There was arguments and tension between the US and the Soviet Union but there was no actual fighting! WWIII hasn't occurred yet.

There was fighting, in wars between the USA and other nations, as there was fighting between the Soviet Union and others. The USA fought the Soviets behind the scenes, by supplying arms and training to that nation's enemies and they did the same against us. So, in this way, we got their people killed and they got ours killed.
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Mon 14 Nov, 2011 04:51 pm
@GracieGirl,
GracieGirl wrote:
That is not true. A lot of guys got killed in Korea, Vietnam and other places,
as part of resistance to the communist effort to conquer the world. That WAS the 3rd World War. We won.

Now, we might be in the 4th World War, with the Moslems trying to do the same thing (again).

David
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Mon 14 Nov, 2011 05:07 pm
@GracieGirl,
Not officially, but the two nations were fighting one another around the world through proxies. There were also quite a number of covert actions during which Americans killed Russians and visa versa.
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Mon 14 Nov, 2011 05:12 pm
@GracieGirl,
In reality there was quite a disparity between the life styles of Party members and the average citizen, so fairness for all, in practice, never happened. There is a greater disparity of wealth in China then in the US.

You shouldn't look at it from a theoretical standpoint, because there has never been a communist country that abided by the theoretical tenets of communism.

Mao and his cronies lived a far grander life than any Chinese peasant.
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Mon 14 Nov, 2011 05:15 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
I was writing of my anxiety. I wasn't alive in the 40s
GracieGirl

Reply Mon 14 Nov, 2011 05:15 pm
Ossobucco wrote:
Quote:
Read Sebastian Faulks' Bird Song
http://www.amazon.com/Birdsong-Novel-Love-Sebastian-Faulks/dp/0679776818

if you want a clue of war.

Thanks! I'll see if its at the library or something. Smile

edgarblythe wrote:
Quote:
I recall when Sputnik was launched, in 1957, when I was fourteen. The whole nation got very nervous, because we had no satellite of our own and not much of a space program to speak of. We felt the Soviets maybe were going to dominate us and this was just a first step. That was the reason the government got behind the space program and decided to send people to the moon.

Really? They sent people to the moon because of the Soviets? Cool.

Quote:
I recall having a conversation with a teacher about it. I was interested in the propaganda effect of Sputnik, more so than the satellite itself, because fear is such a powerful weapon. A few times, I worried the Soviets might conquer us, but only for short times. Their people were much poorer than the Americans and their products were the butt of jokes. I decided that we had the edge on them, even if they did have Sputnik.

Why would you be afraid of Sputnik though? It was just something that they sent into outer space. It wasn't a weapon or anything.

Farmerman wrote:
Quote:
I was seven when they launched Sputnik. I think it was in late September cause we had meatloaf that night .

Hahaha!! You remember the meatloaf? Laughing Laughing

Rockhead wrote:
Quote:
smoky fought in Korea during the 50's.

Who's smoky?

OmSigDavid wrote:
Quote:
A hydrogen bomb IS an atomic bomb.
It comes from nuclear fusion of hydrogen atoms, the way that the sun burns.
The atomic bombs that we used on the Japs in 1945 were from nuclear fission,
splitting atoms of uranium (the first bomb) or splitting atoms of plutonium (second bomb).

Oh! But my textbook says that first there was an atom bomb that everyone was afraid of and then the US made a hydrogen bomb and it was more powerful than the atom bomb. So there must have been two different bombs. First the Atom bomb then the Hydrogen bomb. I know hydrogen's an atom but the two bombs were different.

Quote:
The Korean War, the Vietnamese War, the communist revolutions in China, Cuba & other places
were part of the "Cold War" which was the 3rd World War.
The commies were trying to conquer the world and to enslave it
under the political and economic ideas of Karl Marx.
That was the most thorough-going totalitarianism of anything that the world has ever known.

Noo David! The Cold War was NOT the Third World War. That's historically incorrect. There hasn't yet been a Third World War. And lets hope there wont be. When havent learned about Karl Marx yet so thanks for that info. Smile
I dont know about the 'conquer the world and enslave it part'. That sounds like your own personal interpretations of it. Which is totally fine but It'd be nice if, for me, you put, like, in my opinion or something. I dont wanna confuse your opinions with facts. Thanks though! Smile

Quote:
Schools ofen have very large windows facing outdoors. If a bomb detonated such that
the school was on the fringe, the edge of that bomb's power of destruction,
those windows woud become many 1,OOOs of fragments of flying glass.
It was a good idea to get under our desks
to avoid the trajectories of those glass fragments.

Dude, if a bomb went off, the whole school would blow up. Hiding under a freaking desk wont save you. You'd still die.

Quote:
I believed that because of the cowardice, faint heartedness and disloyalty of the liberals,
we were going lose the Cold War. It was the 3rd World War.

I dont know what liberals are. I'll google it later. I dont feel like it right now. The Cold War was not the 3rd WW.

Quote:
For years and decades, I believed that because of liberal weakness
and disloyalty, the commies woud win, and eventually,
communist battle tanks woud come rolling down my street,
such that [bI 'd have to take a gun and kill my mother][/b]
and then be killed myself while trying to kill as many communist troops as possible,
always remembering that, when running out of ammunition,
the last round had to be for ME.

Shocked

Quote:
The second happiest day in my life was Christmas Day of 1991,
when the USSR went out of business and ended.Freedom won. Slavery lost.

Great! I love dates! So that was when the Cold War ended? You sure?

Setanta wrote:
Quote:
In school in the 50s, we had these "air raid" drills, where we'd crawl under our desks and "duck and cover"--which meant we'd curl up in a little ball and cover our heads with our hands. By about 1956, i was asking myself what earthly good that would do if anyone dropped the atom bomb on us. I also asked myself why anyone with a brain cell would be dropping an atom bomb on the totally insignificant little town i lived in.

Yea! That drill is what the video I watched in class was about. I agree, it looked totally ridiculous. You'd all still be roasted in the fire of a bomb went off. But I guess it was just to give you a sense of safety or something.

Quote:
From time to time we were told that our generation was being warped by "living in the shadow of the bomb." I'd say, though, that the ones who were freaked out were the grown ups. When you grow up with something, it becomes a commonplace, something you don't think about much. I don't recall being worried about the bomb--after all, it they dropped one on us, we were toast, game over.

Thats intresting. I never thought of it like that. I could never imagine living during a time when a war was going on or everyone was freaked out about it.
Thanks Setanta! Smile

edgarblythe wrote:
Quote:
I attended more than one school, in California, in the fifties. None of them made us do the duck and cover stuff. I moved to Texas in Jan of 57. Until the Sputnik scare, nobody there mentioned the Soviets much at all.

Why? They werent afraid?

farmerman wrote:
Quote:
We would have to "duck and say a rosary" Sr ATtila (the Nun) would always do a rosary check before we got our chocky milk break in the morning.
If they were so worried about us getting cut up from the bomb blast, why the hell did they put in those big walls'o windows?.

OH YEAH, I remember that me and several other boys (this was second grade) would have to pull the shades down. Sr Attila didnt want us to be frightened by the flash That was something we found strange.
You aparently saw through the idiocy at an early age. I, on the other hand was scared shitless and the only thing that kept me from years of therapy was because our next door neighbor was a psychiatrist and My Dad always said he was nuttier than a Snickers.

Haha! Laughing

Quote:
I would dream about atomic bomb blasts and hydrogen bomb blasts, always in school .
SR Attila assured us that, should we all die from the blast we would get a free pass into heaven without any Purgatory time. I was afraid of heaven cause lightning came from heaven. SO there I was, 6 years old and really fucked up . I was afraid of lightning, clowns, Thad Zstchynsky,Polio, the hydrogen bomb,mosquitoes carryiing Equine Meningitis and the ghost of Johnie Hannahoe. I had a very full plate of things to be afraid of.
There on top of it, I was enrolled in a school wherein the nuns were pushing this crap that dying for "The Faith" was a really big deal. Its amazing that I never delved into being a cereal killer

Aww! Thats sad! Id be scared too! Poor farmerman/boy.
Its amazing that your not a cereal killer? Haha!
Im a cereal killer! I step on my Coco Puffs every morning. I enjoy the crunchy sound it makes. Laughing No serial killer on the other hand.... Laughing

OmSigDavid wrote:
Quote:
Commie lovers were welcome to stand and look out the window to admire the communist bombs.

I really really wish you'd stop saying stuff like that, at least on my threads. Its not funny and I really hope that was a joke. Jeez.... Rolling Eyes

saab wrote:
Quote:
Travelling to Berlin from any place in Western Europe was a difficult thing.
It was really bad for the West Germans as they were the great animies of the East Germans and the sowiet Union behind them.
If I wanted to go to Berlin(the western part) during the cold war I first had to get a visa and permission to go through East Germany. Coming from Scandinavia via boat getting off in Sassnitz boarding a train in which soldiers with machinguns were walking back and forth. Passport control made you shake all over. One person to control the passport, two to control the passport controller.
You should not talk to anyone in the train who was not a Scandinavian. If you said something bad about the East part it might be reported to someone. If the German talked to you it might be reported.
Crossing the border to any East country was horror.

The link here
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Uprising_of_1953_in_East_Germany

was one of the things in the 50. which made people believe in a third world war, but was part of the cold war.

Here is another one
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hungarian_Revolution_of_1956

Life was a bit different than just to cover your head. Especially in the communistic countries. These people suffered and we in western were afraid of the communists, but not the way you Americans were and are.
Germany was nothing but ruins 1945 and was rebuildt during the 50

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wirtschaftswunder

Wow! Thats terrible. Sad

Roberta wrote:
Quote:
So I'd be sitting in class trying to pay attention, and all of a sudden the teacher would yell, "Take cover." The students had to crawl under our desks with our heads faced away from the window. I didn't think much of this from a Cold War perspective. I just liked the change of pace.

The Cold War seems to have been a war of fear. Once the US was not the only country with the bomb, we got noivous. It was also a war of mistrust. Maybe paranoia. It wasn't a real war in the fighting sense.

How old were you, if you don't mind me asking. It seems like you were pretty young and you weren't afraid or affected by it. Do you think that if you were my age during that time, you would've been more afraid Roberta? Is there anything else that you remember? TV shows about the war or commercials? Was life pretty normal besides the fear of war or did the Cold War change things?

Lustig Andrei wrote:
Quote:
You ask about what kind of war is it where no actual fighting takesplace, Gracie. Well, the 'cold war' is really a metaphorical expression for what actually went on from the 1950s into the 1980s until the Soviet Union (aka the USSR) just fell apart in 1991. It was not a 'war' in the usual sense of the word. There were several actual shooting wars that went on during this time -- Korea, Vietnam, the Communist revolution in Cuba which brought Fidel Castro to power. But the expression 'cold war' just refers to the fact that we -- i.e. the USA, the United Kingdom, NATO and the rest of the Western world were lined up against the Soviet Union (Russia), China and all their so-called satellite puppets in Eastern Europe and elsewhere. Russia and Chine in particular were our sworn enemies and we made no bones about that. We didn't trust them and they didn't trust us. We spied on each other shamelessly.

Thanks for that!! Now I really get why it was called the Cold War when there wasnt any fighting. Awesome job explaining! I totally get it.

Thanks! Why did they even invent those bombs anyway? Seems like that's when things started to get worse.

Sturgis wrote:
Quote:
It was the best of times, it was the worst of times. We rode the subways and enjoyed the nonworking fans and the straw seats. While waiting for the train, my father often took a penny or two from his pocket and bought a few little packages (2 pieces each) of Chiclets gum from the vending box attached to the support column by the platform edge. My biggest fear was the moving platforms at a few stations which occasionally jammed or other ways malfunctioned.

In New York City, when there, we had comical air raid drills where we heard the 2 or 3 clanging bells, lined up, headed into the hallway and stood there until there was 1 clang to indicate the drill was over. In the 4th grade, we were on the top floor and the drill changed to lining up, heading into the hall and then down a flight to the next floor where we stood in the hallway with the students from that floor. Much like fire drills, I figured if anything real ever happened we'd all be dead. In the 8th grade I was proven wrong as we had a fire at the school during school hours and we all escaped unharmed. The fire was in the library which is probably why nobody got hurt...until then we hadn't even known the school had a library.

Never once did we hide under our desks. If bombs had come in, we would have been roasted rather quickly so it was silly to go anywhere.

In Vermont, I can't recall us ever having these ludicrous air raid drills. It was Vermont after all and we probably didn't merit such a luxury.

The Cold War was all about the terrible Commies and how they were going to destroy us. Mainly the Russians were the big bad guys. There were other Commies, but the Russians were our biggest worry since they had a zillion missiles aimed at us and they hated us for being such a great country.

It wasn't discussed at home, any of the places I lived and it wasn't really discussed in school other than a 10 minute sermon each year by a teacher and even worse, by the principal and most years some mucky muck in the auditorium. The mucky muck was usually a military sort telling us how grand the military was and why when we were older we should all do our part and enlist. About then, Vietnam got going and the idea of enlisting seemed rather absurd. It made more sense to wait and get drafted and then hide in Canada.

In any event, I had no desire to get shot and killed. Mercifully, I was never drafted (at least not legitimately). I admired those who did serve and was grateful for their service, whether draftee or enlistee or a military school sort.

The Cold War continued along in through the 1980s in some form, until the Soviet Union fell apart. I never really had any fear of it. Essentially, the Cold War was just like any other time. Some people were a-scared and some were not

Thanks! That was an awesome post! Smile

Walter Hinteler
Quote:

In 1970, we had to look at all ships from the "Eastern Bloc" leaving the Baltic Sea.
Due to some stupid reason, I'd got a rather high security clearance ... and thus got some "secret" documents, which helped me to identify those ships - I had to photograph them, decode all the infos on a paper tape ...

Our boat was going with a speed of less than 4 knots north of the island of Fehmarn .... 6 miles eastward, then back again, then eastwards again, then ...
The East did the same - during those four weeks I've done that, the East german navy was "on duty".
However, they just anchored most of the time.

We changed boats any 24 hours, they did the same.

In one foggy night, I noticed on the radar that they seemed to change earlier than usually.
So we had to approach them ... quite close, to read their ID-number.
Officially, in such a case, the guns had to be manned, everyone on the bridge had to carry a weapon ...
But after a short discussion with the officers, our captain accepted my information that on that other boat the crew mainly was conscripted (they had to do three years instead of our 18 months, though), that they were as nervous as we were ... and since we didn't want to start the 3rd world war, I wrote in the log that we the guns were ready to fire and weapons were ready.

I sweated a lot to calculate that we didn't enter the 3-mile-zone ("by hand", there was no GPS in those days) and that I found the number with th searchlight at once (because they had searchlights which were a lot stronger [natural gas powered] than ours and they 'liked' to blind us ...

But all went well. Even the other week, when we had to catch "some persons" directly on the 3-mile-border, who seemed to have come from the GDR-territory, didn't have a name or nationally, weren't mentioned as passengers in the log ...

Super intresting! Thanks! Smile

Finn dAbuzz wrote:
Quote:
I was only 6 when the 50's came to close and while I remember "air raid" drills as they were called on Long Island NY, the real anxiety didn't start until the 60's.

Perhaps I wasn't quite as sophisticated, as a first grader, as some of the other posters on this thread, but I took the air raid drills seriously, and they were very creepy.

First of all they were announced by a siren rather than a bell, as was the case for Fire Drills, and the sound was chilling.

Secondly, we all moved out into the halls, put our noses up against the brick walls and locked our hands, behind us and on our necks. We were told this would save us from broken necks when the ceiling and walls collapsed. We had to be silent and still, and for a bunch of little kids this was torture. Everyone fidgeted and everyone got yelled at by teachers.

Contrast this with a fire drill when everyone marched out of the building into the sunlight. We still weren't supposed to talk, but we did and we could release any nervous energy by moving around. It was easy to tell, even as a little kid, that the teachers took the air raid drills more seriously than the fire drills.

Years later I came to the same conclusion as has been expressed here: The air raid drills were pointless since we would all be vaporized by a bomb that fell anywhere near our school, however David is right, the air raid drill weren't intended to save us from a direct or near direct hit, they were intended to help protect us if a nuke was dropped on New York City (as it almost certainly would have been) and the resulting hurricane force winds made it as far as my town out on the Eastern half of Long Island.

Thank God we never had to find out if the procedure would have made any difference in terms of casualties. The radiation probably would have killed most of that survived the first hit, but I believe that in addition to the procedure having some potential utility, it was meant to, in some way, placate the adults, by showing them a) the government was on the job and b) a nuclear attack was surrvivable.

The real anxiety developed, for me, during the Cuban Missile Crisis which, of course, was in 1963. At age 9 I had a fair understanding of what was going on (at least in terms of what the News of the day was telling us) and I could easily tell that my parents were very nervous. It was a scary time.

I recall having nightmares from time to time about some country, Russia or China "dropping the bomb," and I specifically remember waking up in terror in the middle of the night shouting "Please don't drop the bomb!"

I also recall when Khrushchev was ousted in 1964 and thinking we were in a lot of trouble. Since the Cuban Missiled Crisis was defused under his regime I had come to the conclusion that he was the only sane Russian leader, and I was certain that the very grim looking Leonoid Brezhnev was a very dangerous man.

At the time, Alexei Kosygin was sharing power with Brezhnev, but he reminded me of Stan Laurel and so I didn't see him as a threat. It turns out I was right, because Brezhnev made short work of him and assumed full power.

There is reason to consider the Cold War, to have been WWIII, because while the primary antagonists never faced off against one another in a Hot War (except during covert operations instigated by one side or the other) there were proxy wars occurring all over the world.

See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Proxy_War

In 7th grade I wrote a "term paper" entitled "The Spread of Communism in Southeast Asia" Actually got an "A+" on it but maybe the teacher was a right-wing Hawk. The Vietnam War was underway and I was a supporter. We had to stop the Communists from overrunning Asia

The Soviet Union was as intent upon global domination as any previous would-be world conquerer. Obviously there came a time when they realized it wasn't going to happen and the USSR eventually fell apart, but they, along with Red China, were very much our determined foes during this period.

I wouldn't call either of them our friends now.

Thanks! I would've been scared too! Especially if I was 6 years old and they were telling me I would get my neck broken if I didn't do it. I haven't learned about the Cuban missile yet. I wanna wait for my teacher to lecture about it. I learn more when people explain stuff to me in laymen's terms. Plus, I like they way my teacher explains things. She's not old enough to have been alive during those times though. Im not interested in Googling it. I'll wait for someone here to tell me about it or for my teacher to. Thanks Finn! That sounded scary. I would've took it seriously too. You and David are wrong though. It wasn't the 3rd World War. But Thanks for sharing. Smile

Setanta wrote:
Quote:
Gracie, what a surprise and a pleasure this thread has been. I'm glad you asked the question.

Thanks! Yeah, Im glad I asked too! Its really really intresting to hear what you guys have to say. Its different from reading stuff in a textbook or googling or research because its stuff that you guys really experienced and remember. I like reading all your stories and stuff. Its awesome and Im learning a lot! THANKS GUYS! Mr. Green I really really appreciate it.

OK! Thats's alot! Im trying to reply to everyone but I need a break because I've got tons of other homework to do for my other classes. Im gonna finish replying tonight though! Smile Thanks again! Smile
neko nomad

Reply Mon 14 Nov, 2011 05:17 pm
The brand new I35 was the perfect place to check out dad's
new car, with my new drivers license (thanks, Coach Smith,
Drivers Ed): *
http://vked.com/hosted/y2v_nekonomad1000.jpg
A way of life & a period of time, gone with the wind. In my hometown cold war wasn't a lunch period topic in the cafeteria.
No fear at school. Or home, either.

Dutifully reported to the draft board that summer. Twelve months later I was defending democracy in Korea. Pulling shiftwork at
a carrier-repeater station.

Did cold war duty in the sixties, though; but that's a totally different topic: civilian tech work, etc.

* A lookalike. Not my photo; Ours was light green.
0 Replies

Pemerson

Reply Mon 14 Nov, 2011 05:18 pm
The Cold War during the 1950s? We were having too much fun sippin' soda thru a straw together to notice what's going on over there.

My brother was home on leave from the Korean War, he wrote an English paper for me, "The U.S.'s chances of winning a 3rd world war. I got an A.

The Cold War? In Cleveland, Ohio we all went out to a huge arena, watched Nekita Kruschev ride around in a Troika. I also heard that the 60's kids would surely be warped, being constantly warned about Russians bombing us, the parents building bomb shelters in basements. Kruschev said to President John Kennedy, "Oh, we will bury you!" But, nothing really happened. It was all just very cool, having nothing hot happen except hot air.

The other part of the 50's can be summed up by these movies:

Splendor in the Grass
The Wild One
Rebel Without a Cause (the 50's kids couldn't find a cause, so they just
rebelled for no reason, ushered in the 1960s when kids found plenty of
reason to rebel.
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Mon 14 Nov, 2011 05:19 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
Finn dAbuzz wrote:
I was writing of my anxiety. I wasn't alive in the 40s
I wrote of mine. I was.

David
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Mon 14 Nov, 2011 06:41 pm
I'm surprised that no one's mentioned the test of nuclear weapons which went on throughout the 1950's. In Connecticut, we were advised in 1955, 1958 and, if I am remembering it correctly, 1959, not to drink milk for a number of months following particularly large nuclear tests by the USSR.

A test by the USA in Nevada in 1954 caused high enough levels of radiation in Rochester, New York that Kodak reported entire stocks of film had become fogged. (No telling what the effects have been on the citizens in nearby Albany.)

I started throwing a paper route (the Manchester [CT] Herald and the Hartford [CT] Times) in early 1957 and read both papers every day. The tension between "the Soviet Bloc and the Free World" was the subject of one or more articles every day. Here are some I remember, in no particular order:
The face-offs by well-armed troops from both sides all long the Iron Curtain borders and within Germany (in Berlin) and on the borders of the various sectors in that country,

The crushing of the revolution in Hungary,

The spy-flights by the U-2 (and you thought it was just the name of a band!) over the USSR. (Look up - Gary Powers. I wanted to be just like him except for the getting shot-down part.)

The launching of the first nuclear submarine, the Nautilus.

The launching of the first Russian ICBM (1957? I'm pretty sure.) We were all pretty sure that we no longer had to worry about USSR Bear Bombers flying in over the pole to drop nukes on Boston, New York and Washington, DC but that we would (in Connecticut) get to see the bright contrails of the Russian missiles heading Southward.
[Note: my sister M. was a member of the the Connecticut Sky-Watchers Associating from 1954-1960. They were supposed to spot any suspicious aircraft aloft. They had their own observation platform on the top of the Police Headquarters on East Middle Turnpike. They never spotted any Bears.)

Sputnik, of course. We were all told the next day by our parents that we had to become engineers. (I wanted to be a writer and actor, I sulked.)

Fallout shelters and their construction under backyards in many neighborhoods in Connecticut lead to a fairly heated debate about whether you would be obligated to allow your neighbors entry into your fall-out shelter if the bombs (or missiles) were falling.

We had the Soviets surrounded. Huge numbers of troops stationed in Europe, the Middle East (Turkey) and Asia (Japan, Korea, the Philippines). We flew spy flights out of Japan, Turkey and Alaska. We had listening posts to monitor all of the military frequencies in England, Turkey, Italy, Iran (no kidding, they were an ally.) and Okinawa. (and we wondered why the Soviet seemed to be a little paranoid.)

They, on the other hand, floated "fishing vessels" off our Eastern and Western coasts for months at a time.

~~
I've only talked here about the 1950's. The Cold War didn't end until the fall of the Soviet Union in 1991.
Leaving out the 60's leaves out the entire Viet Nam War (we had advisers on the ground and getting killed as early as 1958.) and so much, much more.

Tell your teacher I said the Vietnam Conflict was a direct result on the ongoing Cold War with Ho Chi Minh and the North Vietnamese supported fully by Soviet armament and supplies. For this, and many other instances, the Cold War was neither bloodless nor particular unlike any other war.

Nixon's Secret Plan to end the war was to get the Chinese to get involved and step on the toes of the Soviets.

Joe(good thinking, Kissinger.....not)Nation
Lustig Andrei

Reply Mon 14 Nov, 2011 07:09 pm
@Joe Nation,
Great post, Joe!

Yeah, the nuclear testing. How could we forget that? Words like Strontium-90 and 'acid rain' entered our vocabularies and became part of everyday speech. The Soviets didn't need to drop a bomb on us; they were polluting our atmosphere with radioactive fallout (another new phrase in our vocabularies). And we were helping them out by turning most of Nevada and parts of New Mexico into huge test zones. (Not to even mention the Pacific Ocean atolls.)

It's hard for me to think of the conflicts in Korea and Vietnam as part of the'cold war' because these fracases were anything but 'cold.' They were real shootin' wars. I lost some friends and family members in both of them. Later, in the '60s, I helped train troops,some of which were eventually deployed to 'Nam. I was never sent to any Asian theater myself but for some career soldiers it was a quick way to a promotion. One of my oldest friends, a high school buddy, was seemingly a career NCO in the Army. He'd been stationed with the 7th Army in Germany when he suddenly turned up back home, wearing lieutenant's bars on his uniform.

"How in hell did you get a commission?" I asked. "OCS?"

"Direct commision," he told me, laughing.

"How? You don't even have a bachelor's degree, just a public high school diploma."

"That's true," he said. "But I completed the 7th Army NCO training course and then I volunteered for Vietnam. My CO recommended me for a direct commission."

He was in the Signal Corps and, thank God, came back from 'Nam physically unhurt. Emotionally -- well, hard to tell. He's alive and well and happily married now to an Aussie girl he met while on R&R from his duties in SE Asia.

(more to come if I think of anything.)
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Mon 14 Nov, 2011 09:42 pm
@GracieGirl,
I'm afraid you are considering WWIII too literarly.

The whole world wasn't at war during the Cold War, but neither was it in WWI and WWII

During the Cold War however there were separate Hot Wars, bloody revolutions and covert battles in just about every region in Asia, South America, Central America, Africa, and even Europe.

All of this fighting was connected to the overarching Cold War between the US and the Soviets, with participation by Western Europe and China.

Because it is not referred to as WWIII in history books does not deny the scope of a worldwide war.

You need not accept my word on it, but I would suggest you raise the issue in your class. It should lead to a lively discussion.
saab

Reply Tue 15 Nov, 2011 02:00 am
For me the cold war ended with two pair of socks in Amsterdam..
I was in Amsterdam with a friend and we stayed in a hotel. In the evening I took off the daycover and out fell a pair of socks. Never happpened before in my life to find a strangerĀ“s socks in my bed.
Turned on the TV and they showed the first steps of the fall of the Wall.
Later I went to Amsterdam with my husband, stayed in the same hotel, took off the daycover, out fell a pair of socks turned on the TV and saw that the Sowiet Union had fallen apart.
Sometimes I wonder what would happen if I went back for the third time...
0 Replies

Lustig Andrei

Reply Tue 15 Nov, 2011 02:04 am
@Finn dAbuzz,
Finn dAbuzz wrote:
. . . I would suggest you raise the issue in your class. It should lead to a lively discussion.

I strongly second that motion.
0 Replies

saab

Reply Tue 15 Nov, 2011 02:38 am
This is a very interesting thread.
The cold war lasted 45 years with a certain amount of fear, not trusting one another in different countries, an awful amount of suffering in the east block countries, also not trusting your own friends and family, being afraid of being arrested. The list is long and this morning I saw what Merkel has said regarding the Euro.
"Europe's toughest hour since World War II'
Has all the suffering been forgotten? For me it is one of the saddest comments I have seen in a long time.
How can you even compare the Euro and the Cold War with all its sufferings.
Walter Hinteler

Reply Tue 15 Nov, 2011 03:22 am
@saab,
Well, Merkel certainly has a different perspective ... since she lived and viewed that period "from the other side". (Besides that, she made that remark at a party conference - her intentions were not to be historically correct ... Wink )
0 Replies