Really real

Laptoploon

Reply Sun 25 Jan, 2004 10:40 am
Here's a quote from Hobbes that absolutely must fit into this thread....

"Maybe we can eventually make language a complete impediment to understanding."

Perfect

LOL
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Sun 25 Jan, 2004 10:58 pm
Laptoploon wrote:
"Maybe we can eventually make language a complete impediment to understanding."

Laptop, I love this. And it's happening--as I type.
0 Replies

oristarA

Reply Mon 26 Jan, 2004 05:22 am
Hi Roberta,

I couldn't get this very well. Impediment = hindrance? But why do we want to make language Babelfish? We are not God after all... Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

caprice

Reply Mon 26 Jan, 2004 05:31 am
Personally I am rather dismayed over the Americanization of the English language. These words that "are spelt & pronounced differently in the USA" (as oldandknew put it) seem to me to be a reflection of poor education. How can anyone like the idea that the uneducated are the ones dictating change in language?

As an aside, one of my biggest peeves is the incorrect usage of "your". So often I see it in place of "you're". I can't believe the number of people who use your in that manner.
0 Replies

oristarA

Reply Mon 26 Jan, 2004 05:46 am
Maybe because American Culture is a multi-culture based on the spirit of freedom. So the nation cannot be dictated by whatever group of the society. That is why America is of the people, by the people, for the people.
But, no doubt, Standard English is master stream of American Culture. Informal English will fade away naturally with the advancement of the society.
0 Replies

caprice

Reply Mon 26 Jan, 2004 05:48 am
But oristarA, my point is that the US isn't advancing as an educated society.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Mon 26 Jan, 2004 05:49 am
Quote:
As an aside, one of my biggest peeves is the incorrect usage of "your". So often I see it in place of "you're". I can't believe the number of people who use your in that manner.

To add to that, I am appalled at the number of times that I type "was" for "were", (as in, If I was a king) and then hit the edit button.
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Mon 26 Jan, 2004 06:22 am
I couldn't get this very well. Impediment = hindrance? But why do we want to make language Babelfish?

Oristar the quotation was a joke, a bit of sarcasm.

Caprice, The Americanization of English is not a reflection of the uneducated. I learned how to spell in school. Color, labor, rationalize. I'd get a gold star for spelling those words. Or do I misunderstand you? Are you talking about something else? You said, "How can anyone like the idea that the uneducated are the ones dictating change in language?" I don't. I don't like that mistakes are becoming accepted. However, I don't see how that can be viewed as Americanization. Stupidization, maybe. As for you're/your. I'd like to add it's/its.

Oristar, Informality it one thing. Incorrectness is a whole other thing. And incorrect terms, usage, and phrases are winning. Makes me upset. This has nothing to do with the American spirit and far more to do with ignorance.

Phoenix, If you were a king!! You'd have to undergo some massive surgical procedures. Remain the queen that you are.
0 Replies

oristarA

Reply Mon 26 Jan, 2004 08:08 am
Roberta wrote:
However, I don't see how that can be viewed as Americanization. Stupidization, maybe. As for you're/your. I'd like to add it's/its. .

Very Happy Yeah, if informal English overran, that is just Stupidization, not Americanization. Although sometimes we, at least I, could accept an informal usage "as is", but finally Standard English will have the last laugh. And I'd share this laugh Very Happy
0 Replies

Laptoploon

Reply Mon 26 Jan, 2004 09:26 am
caprice wrote:
Personally I am rather dismayed over the Americanization of the English language. These words that "are spelt & pronounced differently in the USA" (as oldandknew put it) seem to me to be a reflection of poor education. How can anyone like the idea that the uneducated are the ones dictating change in language?

There, their, they're

Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
0 Replies

Wy

Reply Mon 26 Jan, 2004 02:48 pm
Quote:
These words that "are spelt & pronounced differently in the USA" (as oldandknew put it) seem to me to be a reflection of poor education.

Well, there's a reason. At least for the spelling (as far as variant pronunciation is concerned, I think England has a lock on that...). Noah Webster and Benjamin Franklin were both proponents of the idea that American English should be spelled as it was pronounced here on this side of the Atlantic. Webster wanted the language to be uniform and phonetic. He couldn't always accomplish this goal, but according to an article I found through Google,
Quote:
It is thanks to Webster that Americans have 'honor' instead of 'honour,' 'music' instead of 'musick' and 'plow' instead of 'plough.'
0 Replies

caprice

Reply Mon 26 Jan, 2004 04:26 pm
I was really referring more to current trends than historical changes. Guess I should make my stance better defined. (Pun intended! Very Happy)
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Mon 26 Jan, 2004 04:30 pm
Why did you have to axe this question?
0 Replies

caprice

Reply Mon 26 Jan, 2004 05:32 pm
cjhsa wrote:
Why did you have to axe this question?

Don't you start! Razz
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Mon 26 Jan, 2004 11:30 pm
I can only presume that Laptop axed the question because she was intrested. She really wanted to know weather "real" was becoming real popular. Its probably more popular then it should be.
0 Replies

caprice

Reply Tue 27 Jan, 2004 01:32 am
I give up.
0 Replies

margo

Reply Tue 27 Jan, 2004 05:47 am
caprice wrote:
I give up.

quitter! Twisted Evil
0 Replies

margo

Reply Tue 27 Jan, 2004 05:51 am
oristarA wrote:
But, no doubt, Standard English is master stream of American Culture. Informal English will fade away naturally with the advancement of the society.

Yikes - I thought standard English was just that - standard ENGLISH - not American!

And I've lost the thread of OristarA's posts! Confused
0 Replies

caprice

Reply Tue 27 Jan, 2004 04:50 pm
margo wrote:
caprice wrote:
I give up.

quitter! Twisted Evil

Razz

Very Happy
0 Replies

Rounin

Reply Tue 27 Jan, 2004 05:25 pm
What's your definition of "right"? If you mean "will it be right in 10 years", then that's a clear possibility.

Language fascists don't sem to realize that languages change, and some would even blame it on poor education. *Raises eyebrow*. Pay no attention to them, though. If something becomes a de facto standard, it usually becomes standard sooner or later.
0 Replies