Really real

Reply Sat 24 Jan, 2004 01:56 pm
Just summat I heard today that made me think.

This is a question for our American cousins.

Is it now acceptable to use "real" instead of "really"?

e.g. "I wouldn't have bothered but it was real important"

Now to my old git english ears it sounds wrong, but it's something I've heard quite often.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 2,248 • Replies: 41
No top replies

margo

Reply Sat 24 Jan, 2004 01:58 pm
LLL

Good name!

Just because people use it, doesn't mean it's right! (or rather-correct!)
0 Replies

rufio

Reply Sat 24 Jan, 2004 01:59 pm
I would use them interchangeably in colloquial speech. They're not really (real?) proper though.
0 Replies

oldandknew

Reply Sat 24 Jan, 2004 02:00 pm
maybe it's kinda ambidextorous in a back handed sorta way
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sat 24 Jan, 2004 03:35 pm
Yecccch - I hate it!

But I am a curmudgeon on such matters.....mutter, grumble, bah humbug....
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Sat 24 Jan, 2004 04:04 pm
It's just plain wrong. Doesn't matter how often you hear it. Wrong is wrong. WRONG. Feh, pooh.
0 Replies

oldandknew

Reply Sat 24 Jan, 2004 04:53 pm
roberta, whilst we may not approve of using the wrong word here & there, it must be said that english has an infinite ability to substitute, shorten, elongate it's words. The phun is finding alternatives to more common words. There are many cases were words are spelt & pronounced differently in the USA, as opposed to the UK. Does anyone take any real notice. I like the fact that the rules can be broken in English.
I will say that many words have been simplified in America. centre becomes center, colour becomes color & so on. Rules ? Schmools
0 Replies

Wy

Reply Sat 24 Jan, 2004 05:08 pm
I'm with Roberta (as usual)... it's wrong, it sounds wrong, and anyone who uses it ought to be taken out and ... corrected!
0 Replies

rufio

Reply Sat 24 Jan, 2004 05:29 pm
Maybe it's wrong the way you speak, but as long as a group of people can understand what they're saying to each other, they're speaking a mutaully intelligeable, functioning language.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Sat 24 Jan, 2004 06:53 pm
I will confess to using it at times. It seems to add emphasis, at least to my ear.
0 Replies

Wy

Reply Sat 24 Jan, 2004 07:43 pm
rufio, your argument seems to say that correct use of the language is not important. How about spelling? Punctuation? I know those who say that as long as the message is understood, the way it's written, or spelled, doesn't matter.

Is intelligibility the only criteria?
0 Replies

Laptoploon

Reply Sun 25 Jan, 2004 01:00 am
Let's hope not or these message boards could become overrun with "txtspeak"

ur my m8 u r.

Arrrggghhh!!!!

Laptop - running for the hills!
0 Replies

oristarA

Reply Sun 25 Jan, 2004 01:05 am
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Sun 25 Jan, 2004 01:18 am
I admit to being a lot looser with spoken English than I am with the written language. And looser still with very informal spoken English. However, there are some things that hit my ear like nails scratching their way down a blackboard. This is one of those things.

Rufio, I agree that being understood is the essence of language and communication. And I would certainly understand what someone was saying if he or she said, "That was real good." However, I would be distracted by the usage. And my attention, even for a split second, would be on how something was said rather than on what was said. Doesn't that interfere with communication? Doesn't that draw one's attention away from the meaning? If the same person said, "That was really good," my attention would remain focused. Communication would continue uninterrupted. Isn't that better communication?
0 Replies

oristarA

Reply Sun 25 Jan, 2004 02:03 am
Tastes differ, Roberta.
You have a good taste in linguistics, whilst there are as many as 60 million functionary illiteracies in America who used to speak informal English. Communication with them might hurt your ears. But, for them, speaking in the way of informal English is comfortable.
So you'd better communicate with "elite class in linguistics", and ignore what the illiteracies speak, unless they want you teach them.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Sun 25 Jan, 2004 02:12 am
That would mean that how you say something is only important if you want to be classified as an illiterate, and be ignored?
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Sun 25 Jan, 2004 05:38 am
Oristar, You misunderstand me. My entire family was ill-educated and spoke less than ideal English. I listened to each of them with the attention and respect they deserved. And my informal conversation is very "loose." I'm simply saying that mistakes are a distraction that detract from communication. I'm neither a snob nor an elitist. I have a healthy respect for the written and spoken word, and the power it wields.

BTW, "functional illiterates" is the term you should use.
0 Replies

oristarA

Reply Sun 25 Jan, 2004 06:26 am
Roberta, It is absolutely nice that you pay enough attention, and, with sincere respect, to listen to any ordinary person who deserves the dignity. But it just means you respectfully listen to what they say, not to how they say. That is, based on Human Rights and Love, listen to them with respectful manner, while in linguistics, ignore them.
0 Replies

Laptoploon

Reply Sun 25 Jan, 2004 10:24 am
Roberta wrote:
I admit to being a lot looser with spoken English than I am with the written language. And looser still with very informal spoken English. However, there are some things that hit my ear like nails scratching their way down a blackboard. This is one of those things.

Rufio, I agree that being understood is the essence of language and communication. And I would certainly understand what someone was saying if he or she said, "That was real good." However, I would be distracted by the usage. And my attention, even for a split second, would be on how something was said rather than on what was said. Doesn't that interfere with communication? Doesn't that draw one's attention away from the meaning? If the same person said, "That was really good," my attention would remain focused. Communication would continue uninterrupted. Isn't that better communication?

My feelings exactly.
0 Replies

Laptoploon

Reply Sun 25 Jan, 2004 10:29 am
OristarA

Who or what are "functionary illiteracies"?

Do you mean, as Roberta suggests "functional illiterates"

BTW, I'm fascinated by the notion that it's within someone's Human Rights(sic) to be listened to. It strikes me the great right is not to have to listen to.
0 Replies