Dr. Conrad Murray Found Guilty

spendius

Reply Tue 8 Nov, 2011 01:10 pm
@Arella Mae,
I'm not defending a man who compromised his ethics. I don't know what Mr Murray's ethics are.
Arella Mae

Reply Tue 8 Nov, 2011 01:12 pm
@spendius,
Look up medical ethics. He compromised those ethics, the ones doctors swear to uphold.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Tue 8 Nov, 2011 01:16 pm
Murray broke the law, period. He gets off lightly, in my view. And it's not because the dead man was Michael Jackson. Jackson was, to me, reprehensible, but it is not about which person was a victim, but about a careless, unprofessional doctor.
spendius

Reply Tue 8 Nov, 2011 01:20 pm
@Arella Mae,
Are you denying that some anaesthetists use the drug recreationally and that it might have been talked about a bit casually in medical circles? Drugs are strange things.
Linkat

Reply Tue 8 Nov, 2011 01:23 pm
@spendius,
Of course this could be the case .... which by the way is illegal.
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Tue 8 Nov, 2011 01:25 pm
@spendius,
spendius wrote:

Are you denying that some anaesthetists use the drug recreationally and that it might have been talked about a bit casually in medical circles? Drugs are strange things.
Even if that is the case that doesn't make what Conrad Murray did right. You can't negate his guilt by pointing out other people are guilty of doing it also.
Arella Mae

Reply Tue 8 Nov, 2011 01:25 pm
@edgarblythe,
edgarblythe wrote:

Murray broke the law, period. He gets off lightly, in my view. And it's not because the dead man was Michael Jackson. Jackson was, to me, reprehensible, but it is not about which person was a victim, but about a careless, unprofessional doctor.

Amen and amen edgar! That is exactly what it is about.
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Tue 8 Nov, 2011 01:27 pm
@edgarblythe,
Quote:
The man practiced here for many years. The local TV news is running nothing but outrage over the conviction. Not one word in favor of it. The local ABC channel featured a legal expert who derided the trial, calling it a travesty, making doctors afraid to treat patients and so forth. He seems to think a "proper" court would have let Murray go free.

Any chance of some quotes ed?
spendius

Reply Tue 8 Nov, 2011 01:32 pm
@Arella Mae,
I didn't say it made it right Arella. I'm simply arguing that there is a doubt.
firefly

Reply Tue 8 Nov, 2011 01:33 pm
@spendius,
Quote:
never the slightest chance of the benefit of the doubt.

I watched this trial, from beginning to end, and you did not. I think I have a much better understanding of the testimony and evidence than you do.
'
The prosecution presented a very tight case that pretty well erased all reasonable doubt about Dr Murray's role in causing MJ's death. And that's the way the jurors apparently saw it as well.
Quote:
Maybe MJ was searching for the Holy Grail of Soma.

What MJ was searching for is irrelevant in this case. The trial was about the actions of his doctor which were found to be so criminally negligent that they caused the death of his patient.

This trial was about medical malpractice when it is so egregious it rises to a criminal level.

Dr. Murray violated all acceptable medical standards of care in his treatment of MJ with Propofol. He didn't just violate a Hyppocratic Oath, he violated the ethical standards of conduct that are proscribed by his state medical license. And his reckless criminal negligence killed his patient.
spendius

Reply Tue 8 Nov, 2011 01:38 pm
@firefly,
Like in the DSK case ff you just keep ploughing backwards and forwards through what we already know.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Tue 8 Nov, 2011 01:38 pm
@spendius,
But every trial has doubt. Have you ever served on a jury? They all have some amount of doubt. The idea is - is it reasonable doubt.
OmSigDAVID

Reply Tue 8 Nov, 2011 01:42 pm
@Rockhead,
Rockhead wrote:
dave...

do you understand ethics?

they teach courses on it at university.

I think even lawyers have to take it...
Do u have a specific point about ethics ?
Do u wish to QUOTE an ethic ?

Can u find one that says its OK to torture your patient
by withholding relief from pain??

Please cite whichever ethic
u want us to consider so that we will know what u r talking about.

David
spendius

Reply Tue 8 Nov, 2011 01:42 pm
@Linkat,
There's a reasonable doubt to me that Dr Murray was not evil and thus doesn't belong in jail. The NASCAR organisers must know that somebody is going to get killed in their money-spinning spectacular. So must the fans.

Do MJ's fans have a role in his death with their high expectations of his performances?
Rockhead

Reply Tue 8 Nov, 2011 01:43 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
not one you can grasp, apparently...
edgarblythe

Reply Tue 8 Nov, 2011 01:44 pm
@spendius,
spendius wrote:

Quote:
The man practiced here for many years. The local TV news is running nothing but outrage over the conviction. Not one word in favor of it. The local ABC channel featured a legal expert who derided the trial, calling it a travesty, making doctors afraid to treat patients and so forth. He seems to think a "proper" court would have let Murray go free.

Any chance of some quotes ed?

What I heard was on local TV, but it went very much like this:

HOUSTON —Patients and supporters of Conrad Murray in Houston were in disbelief Monday after the doctor was convicted of involuntary manslaughter in the death of Michael Jackson.

“Somebody who was against him made a mistake,” said former patient Elease Lewis. “They didn’t judge him correctly.”

Lewis credits Murray for keeping her heart healthy at his clinic in Houston’s Acres Homes area. That was the same clinic raided after authorities started investigating him for the death of Michael Jackson in 2009.

Murray’s former pastor and patient, Reverend Floyd Williams, doesn’t believe anyone in the courtroom won on Monday.

“This is not a victory for the prosecutors,” Williams said. “This is a victory for the news media.”

Williams said Murray saved his life by operating on his heart a decade ago. He suggested that race played a role in Murray's conviction.

"If Dr. Murray had been white, what do you think the verdict would be?" he asked reporters Monday minutes after the verdict at the Antioch Missionary Baptist Church in Acres Homes.

Ruby Mosley, another patient, even went to testify during the trial.

Back from L.A., she still supports her favorite doctor.

“Our arms are open and our prayers have already gone up,” said Mosley. “We’re still praying for Conrad Murray.”

The trial painted Murray as a reckless caregiver who administered a lethal dose of a powerful anesthetic that killed the pop star.

Murray sat stone-faced during the verdict and was handcuffed and taken into custody without bail until sentencing on Nov. 29. He appeared calm as officials led him out of the courtroom.

“Dr. Murray’s reckless conduct in this case poses a demonstrable risk to the safety of the public” if he remains free on bond, Judge Michael E. Pastor said.

District Attorney Steve Cooley said it will be difficult to achieve an appropriate sentence for Murray because of a new state prison alignment law that allows early release for people convicted of nonviolent felonies.

It was unclear whether the jury determined that Murray had administered the fatal dose of propofol while deciding he was responsible for the death of Jackson.

His former patients are wondering whether Murray will ever be able to practice medicine in Texas again. KHOU 11 News Legal Analyst Gerald Treece said that question could take years to answer.

"I anticipate his lawyers in Texas will appeal to our medical licensing agencies saying 'Don't do anything to (Murray) until all the appeals in California are exhausted,'" Treece said.

spendius

Reply Tue 8 Nov, 2011 01:44 pm
@Rockhead,
That's not an answer Rockie. It's an evasion.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Tue 8 Nov, 2011 01:46 pm
@spendius,
But the jury is not determining whether he is evil or not, the jury is determining whether within reasonable doubt he is guilty of involuntarily manslaughter.

He is because as a doctor, he administered and/or made available a drug inappropriately which resulted in his death.

Whether he belongs in jail or not is up to the judge to follow according to the rules of the law when you break the law of involuntary manslaughter.
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Tue 8 Nov, 2011 01:51 pm
@edgarblythe,
Thanks ed. That was kind of you.

Quote:
“Dr. Murray’s reckless conduct in this case poses a demonstrable risk to the safety of the public” if he remains free on bond, Judge Michael E. Pastor said.

He was kidding--right? What risk does Dr Murray pose to the public? He might have saved a lot of lives by drawing attention to the recreational use of the drug.
firefly

Reply Tue 8 Nov, 2011 01:55 pm
@spendius,
Quote:
He was kidding--right? What risk does Dr Murray pose to the public?

That judge wasn't kidding at all. And it suggests he will definitely sentence Murray to some hard jail time.

Someone who has been found guilty of recklessly causing the death of another human can legitimately be regarded as a threat to public safety.

Being found guilty of involuntary manslaughter isn't a slap on the wrist.