How deep did coverup go in Penn State child sex abuse case?

hawkeye10

Fri 11 Nov, 2011 12:16 am
@Rockhead,
Quote:
I always kinda wondered where Sandusky went. he was rumored to be the next in line to the throne, then just retired
A sign that Paterno was not as inactive as some would have it, since it was assumed that he had earned the right to pick the next coach.
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Fri 11 Nov, 2011 12:19 am
@aidan,
Quote:
And that's Joe Paterno - first and foremost - because don't fool yourself. He was obviously the most powerful presence at that university and he was also the most closely aligned with the perpetrator.
Are you another one who does not pay attention in class? I have long argued that those with the greater power have more responsibility, that Paterno was wrong, that he needed to be called out, and that he needed to leave. It was the timing and the manor that I have a bitch about, he had earned better.
aidan

Fri 11 Nov, 2011 12:53 am
@hawkeye10,
He earned all that he's earned since 1998 on the backs of those little boys. He's forfeited anything else he's earned when he decided to keep on earning it at the cost of vulnerable human beings.

And by the way, if you say I haven't been paying attention in class - does that mean you're the teacher now?
If so - the word is 'manner' - not 'manor'. Just a word from one teacher to another so our profession won't keep being slagged off by the likes of you - someone I believe I've seen say in the past that the reason students these days aren't being educated because the teachers themselves are ignorant.
Yeah - he didn't bury his head in the sand so he could keep winning football games in the manor house.
But yeah - he WAS the lord of the manor and he allowed his second in command to use the lowly serfs to his liking so he could keep his wonderful defensive line.
DISGUSTING. I think he should be run out of town. And you still want to give him the gold watch? No way.
hawkeye10

Fri 11 Nov, 2011 01:59 am
@aidan,
Quote:
And you still want to give him the gold watch? No way

Yes, I do. Steve Jobs was a complete asshole to people (read abusive) yet because he did good work over 35 years we overlook all that, Paterno did good work over 45 years yet because he only did what the law requires re his friend abusing kids a lot of people want to nail his dick to a wall. It is a double standard.

Quote:
If so - the word is 'manner' - not 'manor'. Just a word from one teacher to another so our profession won't keep being slagged off by the likes of you -
Oh well, my first Job was at the Manor Restaurant at Cherry Vale Mall in Cherry Valley Il, never been able to shake spelling the word that way. But you knew what I meant didnt you? The communication was successful, so the snit is not required.
hawkeye10

Fri 11 Nov, 2011 02:37 am
@hawkeye10,
Quote:
Did Penn State make the right move in firing Joe Paterno, effective immediately?
Yes......74%......124332
No.....26%......42593

http://www.cnn.com/

This is by no means a slam dunk as some have asserted.
hawkeye10

Fri 11 Nov, 2011 03:08 am
@hawkeye10,
Quote:
The grand jury didn’t implicate him in any wrongdoing.

A graduate assistant told Paterno that he saw Sandusky sexually assaulting a young boy in a Penn State locker room back in 2002. Paterno immediately told athletics director Tim Curley what the G.A. had told him, and Curley failed to report this information to the authorities. Sandusky was no longer a part of the Penn State coaching staff during this time, so to me, the onus lies directly on Paterno’s superiors.

The problem with public opinion is that we form an opinion on a subject we know nothing about. We don’t know how involved Paterno actually was in the process. He could have done as much as he could have, but was simply ignored. Maybe he was told to keep quiet. Maybe he was promised that everything was being taken care of. Maybe Paterno believed that his boss Tim Curley would handle it with honor. Maybe he thought it was better to let the authorities handle it.

Whatever the case may have been in regards to the actions—or lack thereof– by Paterno, I don’t understand why he is the guy who is taking all the heat from the general public. Who cares if Paterno is the “star” of Penn State?

People should be crucifying guys like Tim Curley and Gary Schultz, instead. Those two men that had the power to help put Sandusky away years ago with the information presented to them by the former graduate assistant and Paterno, but they sat idly by. Two men charged with perjury and failure to report an incident of child molestation to authorities, directly involved in the apparent cover-up, and yet, ”Joe Pa” is getting the brunt of the public backlash?

It just doesn’t seem right to me.

http://chicago.cbslocal.com/2011/11/10/muller-did-joe-paterno-deserve-to-be-fired-i%E2%80%99m-not-so-sure/

Quote:
“It was obvious that the witness was distraught over what he saw, but he at no time related to me the very specific actions contained in the grand jury report,” Paterno said in the statement. “Regardless, it was clear that the witness saw something inappropriate involving Mr. Sandusky. As coach Sandusky was retired from our coaching staff at that time, I referred the matter to university administrators.”

In a phone interview, Scott Paterno, serving as his father’s spokesman, said the first and only incident reported about Sandusky to Paterno was in 2002. Scott Paterno, a former lawyer, is a Harrisburg-based political operative

http://chicago.cbslocal.com/2011/11/07/paterno-we-were-all-fooled/

that is going to be the clincher for Paterno's legacy......did her really not know about the 98 report?
0 Replies

wmwcjr

Fri 11 Nov, 2011 07:38 am
Quote:
Andy Staples>INSIDE COLLEGE FOOTBALL

Penn State making progress, but two personnel moves still remain

STATE COLLEGE, Pa. -- The letter boasted, but any college football program that could make such a claim would be expected to shout it from the rooftops. Such information would be very important to the recruit to whom the letter was addressed.

"Penn State is 1 of 2 Division I institutions who have never been investigated or sanctioned for any major NCAA infractions," said the letter, obtained and revealed on Twitter by ESPN.com Michigan recruiting editor Tom VanHaaren. "Think about this as you make your college decision. Coach Paterno's saying 'Success with Honor' has value here."

The author ended with "Think Penn State," and then he signed the letter.

Coach McQueary.

As in Mike McQueary, the redheaded former Penn State quarterback who led the Nittany Lions to the Citrus Bowl as a senior in 1997. As in Mike McQueary, the current wide receivers coach/ace recruiter. As in Mike McQueary, the graduate assistant who saw something he wasn't supposed to see in 2002.

As in Mike McQueary, the guy who still has a job. Interim coach Tom Bradley said on Thursday afternoon that McQueary would coach on Saturday when the Nittany Lions face Nebraska. Thursday night, Penn State announced that McQueary would not coach Saturday because of threats against him.

That McQueary remains on the staff is shocking. Penn State fired legendary coach Joe Paterno and president Graham Spanier on Wednesday for their failure to follow up on a 2002 report from a subordinate that former defensive coordinator Jerry Sandusky had molested a 10-year-old boy in a shower in Penn State's football building. That report came from McQueary, who told a grand jury earlier this year that he saw everything.

In fact, it was McQueary's testimony that ensnared the other person who still stunningly appears on Penn State's employment rolls. Athletic director Tim Curley is on administrative leave while he fights a perjury charge. This may be semantics to avoid a lawsuit and a prelude to a firing. But the point is Curley is still officially employed by a hemorrhaging university even though he allegedly helped cover up child molestation and then allegedly lied about it to a grand jury. Curley maintains his innocence, but the 23-page grand jury presentment paints Curley in a harsh light. The other school official charged with perjury, vice president Gary Schultz, has retired.

Penn State's Board of Trustees made the correct decision in firing Paterno and Spanier for their roles in this case. But if Paterno and Spanier had to go, so do McQueary and Curley. They all share in the blame for failing to contact the police to start an investigation that might have caught Sandusky before, as several young people alleged to the grand jury, he struck again. Trustees should not allow either man to remain on the books another day.

McQueary's situation is the most curious. The next paragraph comes directly from the grand jury presentment, which was prepared using McQueary's under-oath testimony. Be warned; the account is graphic.

"As the graduate assistant entered the locker doors, he was surprised to find the lights and showers on. He then heard, rhythmic, slapping sounds. He believed the sounds to be those of sexual activity. As the graduate assistant put his sneakers into his locker, he looked into the shower. He saw a naked boy, Victim 2, whose age he estimated to be 10 years old, with his hands up against the wall, being subjected to anal intercourse by a naked Sandusky. The graduate assistant was shocked but noticed that Victim 2 and Sandusky saw him. The graduate assistant left immediately, distraught."

In other words, McQueary told the grand jury he saw a boy being raped, and he ran away. McQueary told the grand jury that he next told his father, who told McQueary to report what he saw to Paterno. McQueary made his report at Paterno's home.

What happened next has been parsed endlessly this week. Bottom line, nothing happened. No one followed up. No one tried to identify the boy.

McQueary's handling of the situation has prompted outrage, and with good reason. He was a graduate assistant, a low man on Penn State's totem pole, but he was 28 years old. What kind of human being would watch a boy being raped and do nothing to stop it? A scared one, sure. Sandusky was a pillar of the Penn State football community. But human decency should trump loyalty to a football program or to a coach. And how could McQueary stand the sight of Sandusky, a frequent visitor to the football complex for years who was spotted there as recently as last week?

There are a few possible explanations for why McQueary remains employed. As the Penn State football employee who was the most forthcoming to the grand jury, he could present a different kind of PR nightmare for the university if fired. If McQueary got canned and decided to spill his guts to the media, who knows what revelations might pour forth? An already nasty situation could get even nastier.

The other possibility is that McQueary's job is protected by Pennsylvania's Whistleblower Law, which prohibits public employees from having their jobs threatened following a "good-faith report" of wrongdoing. McQueary did go to his supervisor, after all. Asked if the Whistleblower Law was the reason for McQueary's continued employment, Penn State spokesman Jeff Nelson said "I honestly can't answer that question."

Meanwhile, Curley's continued employment can only be explained by a fear of a lawsuit from a man who might say he was fired for being accused of a crime. It was Curley who told the grand jury McQueary told him that he saw Sandusky "horsing around" with the boy. According to the presentment, McQueary told the grand jury that he told Curley he had seen what he believed to be anal sex. The grand jury believed McQueary.

McQueary has remained silent. His father, citing the ongoing investigation, has stayed quiet. A lot of people want to know how McQueary could simply leave the locker room. That includes the mother of one of Sandusky's alleged victims. "I don't even have words to talk about the betrayal that I feel," the mother of Victim Six told the Harrisburg Patriot-News this week. "[McQueary] was a grown man, and he saw a boy being sodomized ... He ran and called his daddy?"

Inaction cost Paterno and Spanier their jobs, yet McQueary still draws a check from Penn State. Meanwhile, Curley remains officially employed as he prepares to face a perjury charge.

This situation has exposed Penn State to a ton of lawsuits already. What's the harm in a couple more?

If the school's Board of Trustees truly wants to clean house, it needs to make two more personnel moves.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2011/writers/andy_staples/11/10/penn-state-mike-mcqueary/
0 Replies

engineer

Fri 11 Nov, 2011 07:53 am
@hawkeye10,
You don't think 74%/26% is a slam dunk? Usually a poll that one sided is considered to be a pretty bold declaration of public opinion.
farmerman

Fri 11 Nov, 2011 12:10 pm
@engineer,
Gov Corbett was State Atty General when he convened the Grand Jury re Sandusky. In todays Lancaster Newspaper Corbett came out and stated that he had lost confidence in PAterno and the U president as a result of the facts that came out during the testimony. It appeared that neither the U nor PAterno were even remotely interested in getting to the bottom of the scandal. All the time prior to last weeks news bomb, the U president and Paterno kept trying to "make it go away" by doing nothing. As a board member, Corbett votee to remove both immediately .

Now there is even bigger talk that Sandusky was "pimping" the little boys for others,"big donors" to the U.

I think the NCAA oughta make a decision about Penn State even having a fooball program for several years.
hawkeye10

Fri 11 Nov, 2011 12:15 pm
@farmerman,
Quote:
All the time prior to last weeks news bomb, the U president and Paterno kept trying to "make it go away" by doing nothing
What exactly were they supposed to be doing? Sandusky has not been around Penn St Football since 2008, correct? They had already done something,,, they had cut him off.

This looks like a weak attempt to support the board action, and given that the GOV is on the board and appoints some of the board this does not surprise.

Quote:
MEMBERS EX OFFICIO
THOMAS W. CORBETT, JR. *Governor, Commonwealth of Pennsylvania
GRAHAM B. SPANIER President, The Pennsylvania State University (Secretary of the Board of Trustees)
GEORGE D. GREIG Secretary, Pennsylvania Department of Agriculture
RICHARD J. ALLAN Secretary, Pennsylvania Department of Conservation and Natural Resources
RONALD J. TOMALIS Secretary, Pennsylvania Department of Education
Note: The date in parantheses following each name indicates the year in which the term will expire. Trustees appointed by the Governor serve until their successors have been appointed and confirmed.
APPOINTED BY THE GOVERNOR
ALVIN H. CLEMENS (2012) Past Chairman and Chief Executive Officer, The Provident
MARK H. DAMBLY (2014) President, Pennrose Properties, LLC
MICHAEL F. DiBERARDINIS (2012) Deputy Mayor for Environmental and Community Resources, City of Philadelphia; Commissioner, Department of Parks and Recreation
PETER A. KHOURY (2014) Undergraduate Student, The Pennsylvania State University
IRA M. LUBERT (2013) Chairman and Co-founder, Independence Capital Partners and Lubert Adler Partners L.P.
PAUL H. SILVIS (2013) Head Coach, SilcoTe
[more]

http://www.psu.edu/trustees/membership.html
farmerman

Fri 11 Nov, 2011 12:21 pm
@hawkeye10,
Kind of a lame response Hawkee. Are you kidding??
Rockhead

Fri 11 Nov, 2011 12:23 pm
@farmerman,
Sandusky was an emeritus professor with privileges until last week.
hawkeye10

Fri 11 Nov, 2011 12:23 pm
@farmerman,
farmerman wrote:

Kind of a lame response Hawkee. Are you kidding??

I am not kidding...now would you care to answer the question??
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Fri 11 Nov, 2011 12:26 pm
@Rockhead,
Rockhead wrote:

Sandusky was an emeritus professor with privileges until last week.
Having not been found guilty, and having been under investigation for years with out arrest, should the university have done more? There is an expectation of due process in this country, and the process was running. I am fairly certain however that he was several years ago cut off from Penn St Football.
0 Replies

farmerman

Fri 11 Nov, 2011 12:30 pm
@hawkeye10,
Quote:
they had cut him off
Quote:
They only disallowed his presence with little kids at Penn State games. Thats a really hardball action.

Quote:
This looks like a weak attempt to support the board action, and given that the GOV is on the board and appoints some of the board this does not surprise.

THE GOV ALSO APPOINTED THE GRAND JURY, so the point, (which apperently flew over yer head at a few thousand feet). He couldnt discuss it with anyone when he became Gov AND MEMEBR OF THE BOARD.
Now that the vote had been taken, he can speak freely.
If he is found out to have been influencing a board vote based upon the Grand Jury (meaning that he would be leaking Grand Jury testimony), then Corbett would be suborning a felony. Get it?

hawkeye10

Fri 11 Nov, 2011 12:37 pm
@farmerman,
Quote:
Now that the vote had been taken, he can speak freely.
If he is found out to have been influencing a board vote based upon the Grand Jury (meaning that he would be leaking Grand Jury testimony), then Corbett would be suborning a felony. Get it?
I never said anything about that he should have spoke earlier, I said that his words were nearly meaningless, so that is a red herring.

I see that Second Mile cut him off in 2008, but that he still was allowed to use the FootBall facilites up till arrest, which was a bad call. I think that we need to know who made it.
farmerman

Fri 11 Nov, 2011 03:11 pm
@hawkeye10,
Quote:

This is what you actually said. I cut and pasted it so let there be no doubt. The GOV could say nothing. (Neither support weakly or influence negatively) That would be in violation of his oath re: the Grand Jury while he was the Atty Gen .

Youre all screwed up about the GOvernor, unless you know something more, which I highly doubt .
farmerman

Fri 11 Nov, 2011 03:21 pm
@farmerman,
I see that Joe PAterno has retained a criminal defense attorney.
This is probably a good idea so he doesnt get railroaded now that the talk of Sandusky pimping his kids has started.

Paterno is just making sure his rights dont get squashed underfoot, you cant be too trusting that the "System" would protect him.
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Fri 11 Nov, 2011 03:30 pm
@farmerman,
Quote:
This is what you actually said. I cut and pasted it so let there be no doubt. The GOV could say nothing. (Neither support weakly or influence negatively) That would be in violation of his oath re: the Grand Jury while he was the Atty Gen
The way I see it the GOV is in a box, he is tied to this board which runs a University which is totally fucked in the head. The more he raises his profile the more people are going to wonder about his own priorities....the multiple claims that he has for awhile advocated for board action does not do away with the down-side for him.
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Fri 11 Nov, 2011 03:48 pm

I 'm pretty sure that we will see Mr. Sandusky die in prison,
most deservedly so (in the absence of his suicide),
judging from the posted grand jury testimony. Does sex = insanity ?
0 Replies