How deep did coverup go in Penn State child sex abuse case?

hawkeye10

Thu 10 Nov, 2011 03:04 pm
@engineer,
Quote:
I doubt it. ESPN might show a few signs of students protesting at the next game but they are going to talk more about the board firing Pater
Do you really think that the official recording of the event can rub out the reality of the event? Not even the best propagandists have been able to master that, and now we have cell phones and the internet making every single person in the stands a potential reporter.
ehBeth

Thu 10 Nov, 2011 03:08 pm
@hawkeye10,
hawkeye10 wrote:
He did report it, to his boss, as the law directed him to do in the situation he found himself in.

even Paterno understands (now) that isn't enough

Quote:
But moral questions of why Paterno and others didn't go directly to police have dogged the case.

"I wish I had done more," Paterno said in a statement Wednesday.

http://www.omaha.com/article/20111110/NEWS01/711109875
hawkeye10

Thu 10 Nov, 2011 03:11 pm
@ehBeth,
Quote:
even Paterno understands (now) that isn't enough
as anyone disputed that Paterno did not do enough? I think this is what is called a Red Herring.
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Thu 10 Nov, 2011 03:14 pm
Quote:
STATE COLLEGE, Pa. (AP) -- Police in State College, Pa., say they have identified numerous suspects in a riot that followed the firing of Penn State football coach Joe Paterno.
The department said in a statement Thursday that the people are under investigation for crimes such as riot, attempted arson and other counts. Investigators are also reviewing video footage.
Police are not saying how many arrests were made following Wednesday night's riots, in which crowds toppled a television news van and at least one photographer was pelted with a rock.
Students flooded downtown State College for about three hours after Paterno and university president Graham Spanier were fired amid a growing furor linked to their handling of sex-abuse allegations against a former assistant football coach.

Read more: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2011/football/ncaa/11/10/penn-state-riot-suspects.ap/index.html#ixzz1dL5N5zsW

Lot of claims are floating around that the students of Penn State are a disgrace to Penn State, another reason why I expect that the cancellation of the rest of the season is imminent, as the Leadership which failed this university decides that the students can not be trusted to do as they are told by them.
0 Replies

engineer

Thu 10 Nov, 2011 03:16 pm
@hawkeye10,
If a student chants at a football game and ESPN doesn't put it on the camera, did they really make any noise?
hawkeye10

Thu 10 Nov, 2011 03:18 pm
@engineer,
engineer wrote:

If a student chants at a football game and ESPN doesn't put it on the camera, did they really make any noise?
Is this 1941 or 2011?
hawkeye10

Thu 10 Nov, 2011 03:20 pm
@hawkeye10,

Do you see my point Engineer?
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Thu 10 Nov, 2011 03:42 pm
@hawkeye10,
hawkeye10 wrote:

He did report it, to his boss, as the law directed him to do in the situation he found himself in.

I don't know if you're arguing this point just to be contrary (which is of course fine) or if you really believe that Paterno deserves special consideration when all he did was (apparently) follow the letter of the law.

In any case, why is Joe Paterno such a Penn State and College Football icon?
In part it is simply because of his longevity on the national stage, but I suspect that if you asked this question of Penn State Alumni, officials and students several days before this scandal broke, they would go on and on about how he cared for his players and was like a surrogate father (or grandfather) to them. They would wax eloquently about how he shaped the character of so many of the young men who played for him and how much he cared for all students and, of course, the instiution. Somewhere along the line there would be references to the winning seasons and the National and Big Ten championships he had led his teams to.

For all of this, you seem to think he deserves special consideration in the form of being allowed to remain the rest of the season and retire thereafter.

Surely if it is his character and contributions in guiding the lives of young men that warrants the reverence he seems to have enjoyed at Penn State and within the world of College Football, then we should judge him on the basis of what we have come to expect from the Great Man, and not on whether or not he met the law's minimum requirement. Surely the young boys that were being sodomized and abused within the confines of the realm over which he reigned should have expected more from the iconic Joe Pa.

If he's going to enjoy living the life of a legend he should have demonstrated behavior more becoming of a legend that simply notifying his boss that one of his coachs was anal raping a ten year old in the gym showers. Hell, I'd argue he should have tracked the SOB down, punched his lights out or broke his kneecap with a bat, and then reported him to the police.

If his meeting the minimum requirement of the law is all that should have been required of him then he certainly doesn't deserve his reputation and status, and he certainly doesn't deserve special consideration from the University Board.

hawkeye10

Thu 10 Nov, 2011 03:49 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
Quote:
For all of this, you seem to think he deserves special consideration in the form of being allowed to remain the rest of the season and retire thereafter.
taking into account all that he has done for Penn St would not have been special consideration, it would have been standard consideration. He was treated special, in the negative.
0 Replies

IRFRANK

Thu 10 Nov, 2011 09:14 pm
@hawkeye10,
You all better keep your comments to yourself until all of this shameful story comes to light. It is much worse than you think.

Anyone who has any concern for JoePa's situation should read the grand jury report first. Joe is not the victim here. He is at least a facilitator.

That this guy (Sandusky) was allowed to stay out of jail in 98 and then 02 and even given rights on campus is incomprehensible.

How could anyone put their concern for PSU and a football program ahead of these young boys?
mismi

Thu 10 Nov, 2011 09:43 pm
@IRFRANK,
Absolutely IRFRANK and Finn dAbuzz.

I don't give a rats petoot about Penn State football or Joe Paterno. Someone should have put those children before that crap. It is beyond my comprehension how anyone could continue living their lives like that was not going on. If Joe didn't step up when he found out - he deserves exactly what he gets. He is not a great man. He should not be remembered as such.
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Thu 10 Nov, 2011 10:13 pm
@IRFRANK,
Quote:
You all better keep your comments to yourself until all of this shameful story comes to light. It is much worse than you think
As you say the grand jury report is on the web, so how is it that the real story is "much worse than we think?" This investigation has been going for a couple of years right? Are you making an allegation that the prosecutors did their jobs poorly?
Ragman

Thu 10 Nov, 2011 10:21 pm
@hawkeye10,
Mark my words in the next week or so there'll be double-digit indictments.
There have been so many more people who kept this story supressed and prevented this story from leaking out. THAT is why it's much worse than you think!

McReary (assistant coach) will be fired and hopefully prosecuted. He reported the story of that assault he saw in the shower to his father. Why no one reported this to police directly is agonizing. Is there no one that can think on behalf of the underage innocent victim?
hawkeye10

Thu 10 Nov, 2011 10:33 pm
@Ragman,
Quote:
Why no one repotrted tyhis police directly is agonizing.
But not criminal...the state intends to change the law but they are not going to be able to charge this much of crew for directly. I have every expectation though that prosecutors will do their best to invent new law to go after university officials, and note that JoePa went out and got himself a top shelf criminal defense attorney today. Keep in mind that the foundation has even more responsibility to these kids than the university does, was made aware of the situation, and did not report. Strangely we hear very little about charges against those officials. How many people knew about this and did nothing 10? 20? 50? ...I have a feeling it is at the upper end of this range, there are a lot of people who did wrong here.
Ragman

Thu 10 Nov, 2011 10:36 pm
@hawkeye10,
Sadly, I couldn't agree with you more. In the more than 9 yrs, there's undoubtedly dozens of people that knew about these acts and didn't carry this to the proper authorities...authorities outside the college.
hawkeye10

Thu 10 Nov, 2011 11:00 pm
@Ragman,
All of this yelling "no one called the cops...shame on them!" gets a little old considering

Quote:
In 1998, a boy who was 12 at the time told police that Sandusky had showered with him in the Penn State football locker room during a tour. The boy claimed Sandusky assaulted him during the shower.
During our own investigation, years later, the mother told us that she had been specifically instructed by state police not to speak with reporters.

http://www.pennlive.com/midstate/index.ssf/2011/11/penn_state_child_sex-abuse_sca.html

Law enforcement looked the other way, like everyone else.

and then there is this

Quote:
We confirmed their statements in other ways, as well. Sara tracked down a second victim, witnesses and other sources who could talk not only about the Clinton County victim but about what had happened back in 1998.
With enough evidence that we were confident of its accuracy, we published the story on March 31.
The national media ignored it. Locally, we mainly received anger from some readers

Now in November the country is in shock while screaming " how could this happen!"

...the sanctimony is chest deep I tell ya.
0 Replies

Rockhead

Thu 10 Nov, 2011 11:46 pm
PSU: McQueary won’t coach Saturday due to threats

STATE COLLEGE, Pa. (AP)—Penn State says assistant coach Mike McQueary won’t coach the Nittany Lions on Saturday because “multiple threats” have been made against him.

The university released a statement Thursday night saying it would be “in the best interest of all” if the receivers coach didn’t attend the game against Nebraska at Beaver Stadium.

The football program is in turmoil following the firing of longtime coach Joe Paterno, brought down in a scandal involving child sex-abuse allegations against former defensive coordinator Jerry Sandusky.

McQueary testified to a grand jury that he encountered Sandusky in the Penn State showers with a 10-year-old boy in 2002. He later told Paterno of the incident.

Sandusky was arrested and charged last Saturday. His lawyer maintains his client is innocent.

http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/football/news?slug=ap-pennstate-mcqueary
hawkeye10

Thu 10 Nov, 2011 11:58 pm
@Rockhead,
Quote:
STATE COLLEGE, Pa. (AP)—Penn State says assistant coach Mike McQueary won’t coach the Nittany Lions on Saturday because “multiple threats” have been made against him.
Are the threats due to people being pissed off that he is the only major university employed person whom we know at the moment knew of the abuse but who has not yet been fired, or is it because he is blamed for bringing down PATERNO? Strangely the university does not say *sarcasm*. The University never said why Paterno was fired, and never has said why Mc Queary has not, though if Paterno had to go then one would think McQueary has to go for the same reasons.
0 Replies

aidan

Fri 11 Nov, 2011 12:07 am
@Rockhead,
Are the threats against him because he didn't do more to expose the situation or are the threats against him because he is the one who did the most to expose the situation?
In other words are the threats being made by pro-Paterno-Penn State football at any cost fans or are they being made by normal people who are disgusted by a group of grown men allowing another grown man to rape boys so they could continue to win football games?

This whole thing is DISGUSTING!!! Those people should stew and rot in their own evil putridness.

I keep wondering about the wife too. At first I thought to myself, 'Wow - that poor lady must be devastated. Somebody should keep her under suicide watch.'
But the more that came out - especially the prior investigation brought me to the point of thinking - 'What the hell is she doing still with this pervert?' And didn't it get a little disturbing to her after adopting SIX boys when they started and stopped several investigations of her husband for sexual abuse of boys?

They're all a cowardly, sickening lot. Protecting what they got and keeping this guy in his perverted business. Sickening. That's all I have to say.

And Hawkeye - yeah hundreds of people might have known. But the people who could have stopped it with one word - DIDN'T.
And that's Joe Paterno - first and foremost - because don't fool yourself. He was obviously the most powerful presence at that university and he was also the most closely aligned with the perpetrator.
Rockhead

Fri 11 Nov, 2011 12:11 am
@aidan,
farmerman would be better with the real sides of this.

I always kinda wondered where Sandusky went. he was rumored to be the next in line to the throne, then just retired...

there is a lot more ugliness that they will never let out of the offices of the university, I'm certain.