What is the cooking term (verb) for making this dish?

fansy

Reply Tue 1 Nov, 2011 12:50 am
http://a1.att.hudong.com/27/96/01300000220758121902961869050.jpg

The pig feet is cooked by heating with vapor in air-tight vessel.
Can you offer me a verb for this kind of cooking?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 8 • Views: 3,101 • Replies: 31

contrex

Reply Tue 1 Nov, 2011 12:57 am
Verb: pressure cooking

A pressure cooker:

http://toolskitchen.net/wp-content/uploads/2011/05/pressure-cooker.jpg

0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Tue 1 Nov, 2011 07:05 am
@fansy,
Sous vide.
0 Replies

PUNKEY

Reply Tue 1 Nov, 2011 11:06 am
Crock pot, Slow cooker; French oven, or Le Creuset.

(But most likely, they were probably browned before.)
DrewDad

Reply Tue 1 Nov, 2011 11:19 am
@PUNKEY,
Thank you for playing, but those answers are incorrect.
contrex

Reply Tue 1 Nov, 2011 11:19 am
@PUNKEY,
PUNKEY wrote:
Crock pot, Slow cooker; French oven, or Le Creuset.

Those are not airtight and do not cook using water avpour (steam, actually). See original question.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Tue 1 Nov, 2011 11:24 am
@DrewDad,
Punkey's response works with boomer's sous vide, as sous vide is a slow approach to vacuum-sealed cooking. Pressure cooking is a fast vacuum seal type of cooking.
DrewDad

Reply Tue 1 Nov, 2011 12:00 pm
@ehBeth,
I'm not familiar with sous vide, but crock pots are definitely not airtight, which is why I responded.
0 Replies

InfraBlue

Reply Tue 1 Nov, 2011 12:10 pm
@fansy,
mmm, pig's feet. . .
0 Replies

contrex

Reply Tue 1 Nov, 2011 01:23 pm
Sous-vide, French for "under vacuum", is a method of cooking food sealed in airtight plastic bags in a water bath for a long time—72 hours is not unusual—at an accurately determined temperature much lower than normally used for cooking, typically around 60 °C. The intention is to cook the item evenly, not overcook the outside while still keeping the inside at the same 'doneness' and to keep the food juicier.

This is not cooking with "vapour" and it is not done in an airtight vessel.
ossobuco

Reply Tue 1 Nov, 2011 02:07 pm
@contrex,
Agreeing with contrex. I have heard of sou vide, can't seem to get myself interested yet... am doubting that is what fansy means since I don't think steaming (vaporing) is happening.

I first thought fansy was just talking about steaming, but reading more closely, I think the word would be "pressure cooking".

I'll be glad to be shown to be wrong - I haven't used a pressure cooker myself - I've long been afraid of them, though they have new, presumably safer, ones devised since my mother's cooking days of long ago.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Tue 1 Nov, 2011 02:17 pm
@contrex,
I just asked my Vietnamese and Chinese-descended co-workers. They tell me they'd prepare this dish in a rice cooker or "a slow cooker if you don't have a rice cooker". Their assumption seems to be that the rice cooker and slow cooker are air-tight. I'm sceptical about that.

My initial thought was a pressure cooker, but they (all 3 of them, not a huge sample) tell me there are no pressure cookers in their kitchens.
ossobuco

Reply Tue 1 Nov, 2011 02:50 pm
@ehBeth,
Yeh, they're on purpose not airtight. The proof can be found on the surrounding counter, depending on how full the pot is.

Confusing things more, when I make things in either a slow cooker or used to with a rice cooker, it wasn't about vapor (vapour), except that with rice in rice cooker (or my le crueset), it was a no no to lift the lid - so that vapor did have some participation in the cooking.

I have tended to not obey not ever opening the lid, being a cooking brat.
0 Replies

contrex

Reply Tue 1 Nov, 2011 02:50 pm
Pig's trotters (we don't call them "feet") are usually just steamed, but the ordinary way involves a vessel which is not airtight.

A bamboo steamer is not airtight

http://www.khiewchanta.com/images/chinese-steamer.jpg

Neither is a steel one

http://www.libertywareusa.com/media/446551/aluminum%20chinese%20steamer.jpg?thumbnail=jpg&maxwidth=250&maxheight=200

DrewDad

Reply Tue 1 Nov, 2011 03:50 pm
@ehBeth,
Aren't rice cookers basically steamers?
ehBeth

Reply Tue 1 Nov, 2011 04:01 pm
@contrex,
google suggests that the pig feet are usually steamed (not in a air-tight container)

here's a decent ehow example

http://www.ehow.com/video_4458849_precooking-chinese-pigs-feet.html

another recipe shows them as being boiled before frying and them stewing (again, no air-tight container)

http://friedtigerfrozendragon.wordpress.com/2010/03/07/chinese-red-cooked-pigs-feet/
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Tue 1 Nov, 2011 04:02 pm
@DrewDad,
Yeah, I think this is about steaming, not pressure-cooking.

When I spoke to my colleagues, they thought it could be done in pretty much anything with a lid.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Tue 1 Nov, 2011 04:10 pm
@DrewDad,
oops.
ehBeth

Reply Tue 1 Nov, 2011 04:17 pm
@DrewDad,
I keep looking at the original picture and thinking we're all heading the wrong way in terms of terminology. Could those be pickled pigs feet? in which case steaming/boiling would come into play but we'd call it pickling due to the herbs/spices/vinegar used.

Where's George?
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 1 Nov, 2011 04:36 pm
Mulling - given a lid, steam happens, and slowly disperses since the lid isn't air tight. There is a heat source, mechanical or gas, etc.
When I think of steaming, though, I'm thinking of a level of heated water with a level above it of a cooking item sitting in a perforated 'pan' above the steam, not being cooked in the water itself (as liquid water).

Which explains my bias/confusion.
0 Replies