What is the cooking term (verb) for making this dish?

fansy

Reply Tue 1 Nov, 2011 09:41 pm
@fansy,
Quote:
The pig feet is cooked by heating with vapor in air-tight vessel.

Don't be misled by "air-tight vessel." The pig's trotters are just boiled and then simmered, and the gravy thickens. Is 'braised" okay?
Ceili

Reply Tue 1 Nov, 2011 10:07 pm
@fansy,
Stewed?
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Wed 2 Nov, 2011 08:53 am
@fansy,
pressure cooking
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Wed 2 Nov, 2011 08:56 am
@ehBeth,
My Japanese roommate (directly from Japan - not american) used pressure cooking all the time. That was my initial introduction of pressure cooking.
0 Replies

fansy

Reply Thu 3 Nov, 2011 09:39 pm
@fansy,
In the following I give you a rough translation of a recipe for cooking Pig's Trotters with Black Pepper (黑椒猪手). In this recipe, nothing is mentioned about the utensil for cooking this kind of dish. I hope this will help you understand how this dish is made in a Chinese kitchen. The difficulty is how to translate the verb "焗", a kind of cooking method. It usually means to cook meat dish over a "small fire" and cook for 2 or more hours, with the wok (or any other ustensil) tightly covered with a lid.

Quote:
1. Use oyster oil, black pepper and a spoonful of cooking wine to make the “black pepper sauce”; Cut the cleaned pig’s trotter into several pieces.

2. Put a little cooking oil into the wok; when heated, put the trotter pieces into the wok for frying.

3. Fry the trotter chops until they change color; put the “black pepper sauce” into the wok, so that the trotter chops become browner.

4. Put wine into the wok.

5. Add lukewarm water to submerge the trotter chops, use “medium fire” to boil the chops, then use “small fire” to “slow stew” the chops for about 2 hours.

6. Cut onions into small pieces while trotter is being cooked.

7. Get the trotter chops out from the wok, keep the sauce in a bowl.

8. Then we make the sauce by melting a piece of butter, then adding onion.

9. Add some grounded black pepper to bring out the flavor.

10. Put the sauce in the bowl back into the wok, and mix it with whipped cream.

11. Put the sauce over the trotter chops.
contrex

Reply Fri 4 Nov, 2011 01:00 am
@fansy,
fansy wrote:
Add lukewarm water to submerge the trotter chops, use “medium fire” to boil the chops, then use “small fire” to “slow stew” the chops for about 2 hours.

You wrote it yourself. This method is called is stewing.
fansy

Reply Fri 4 Nov, 2011 01:38 am
@contrex,
Quote:
Add lukewarm water to submerge the trotter chops, use “medium fire” to boil the chops, then use “small fire” to “slow stew” the chops for about 2 hours

Contrex says that I wrote the word "stew," but the Chinese word for this kind of cooking is "ju", done with the utensil covered to allow the content to be "steamed" for 2 hours also.
contrex

Reply Fri 4 Nov, 2011 12:13 pm
@fansy,
fansy wrote:

Quote:
Add lukewarm water to submerge the trotter chops, use “medium fire” to boil the chops, then use “small fire” to “slow stew” the chops for about 2 hours

Contrex says that I wrote the word "stew," but the Chinese word for this kind of cooking is "ju", done with the utensil covered to allow the content to be "steamed" for 2 hours also.

If the food is submerged, as you yourself wrote, then it is not being steamed, whether there is a close fitting lid or not. Notwithstanding what the Chinese word is.

fansy

Reply Fri 4 Nov, 2011 08:19 pm
@contrex,
Can we say "stew-steamed" pig's trotters with black pepper?
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 4 Nov, 2011 08:24 pm
@contrex,
Agreeing with contrex.

Seems to me that fansy and maybe others who are chinese do not understand the word 'steaming', besides not understanding 'air tight'.

Thus the goose chase that this thread has become.
contrex

Reply Sat 5 Nov, 2011 03:14 am
@ossobuco,
1. Steaming

Steam is the technical term for water vapour, the gaseous phase of water, which is formed when water boils. Steam rises. When food is steamed, it is placed in a separate perforated vessel above a pan containing boiling water. When the water boils it turns to steam which rises through the perforations and contacts the food which is thus cooked. Usually there is a lid above the steaming vessel so that the steam condenses and falls back into the lower vessel, so that the water does not evaporate ("boil away") quickly. The whole combination of lower vessel, upper vessel, and lid is often called a "steamer", although this word is also used for the perforated vessel alone.

2. Stewing.

When food is stewed it is immersed in very hot or gently boiling water for a long time. Usually the stewing vessel has a close fitting (not "airtight") lid so that the water does not boil away as explained above. The maximum temperature that the water can attain is 100 degrees C.

3. Pressure cooking

If a specially strong vessel with a mechanically secured airtight lid is used, then you have a pressure cooker. Because the pressure inside is allowed to rise, the water does not all boil, and reaches a higher temperature than is possible with stewing, and the food is cooked more quickly.
fansy

Reply Sun 6 Nov, 2011 01:32 am
@contrex,
Then I guess, the Chinese method of cooking is something between "stewing" and "pressure cooking." The trotter is cooked in a close-fitting ustensil by "stewing" until water is almost gone, leaving a very thick stew, maybe sometimes the "fire" is turned off for sometime.
0 Replies