A constitutional amendment barring gay marriage!!

Lightwizard

Reply Sun 1 Feb, 2004 06:27 pm
They're such Moors.
0 Replies

hobitbob

Reply Sun 1 Feb, 2004 06:28 pm
as Fred told his wife, whilst in the garden, "Get the compost, ella..."
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sun 1 Feb, 2004 06:32 pm
That really stunk, HB . . .

heeheeheeheeheeheeheeheeheehee . . .

what a ma-roon . . .
0 Replies

hobitbob

Reply Sun 1 Feb, 2004 06:34 pm
Always good to converso-ate with you! Very Happy
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Sun 1 Feb, 2004 08:43 pm
Setanta wrote:
Sadly, Eva, most fundamentalists and charismatics eschew eduation--all they ever want to read is in the bible, and its in the vernacular translation approved by those who fleece their particular flock . . .

(sigh)...I know. And I have to put up with a few of them regularly. Takes a strong stomach to be a practicing Christian/social liberal in these parts, Set. But there are a few churches that encourage thinking for yourself. Just takes a while to find 'em.
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Sun 1 Feb, 2004 08:53 pm
The Latin Vulgate is online:

In principio erat Verbum et Verbum erat apud Deum et Deus erat Verbum

not locked up.

And neither is the Septuagint, the earliest complete text in Greek.
http://students.cua.edu/16kalvesmaki/lxx/

Have fun J.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Sun 1 Feb, 2004 09:01 pm
the latin vulgate is sooo common.
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Mon 2 Feb, 2004 11:19 am
The word on the street has it that Shakespeare was gay, and if he did indeed translate the King James version of the Bible, then.........

Ah, but the King James version of the Bible is so beautiful, "...a poet could not but be gay in such a jocund company..."
0 Replies

Fedral

Reply Mon 2 Feb, 2004 02:26 pm
Hey, all I have to say is that if homosexuals want to be as miserable as the rest of us married heterosexuals, more power to them. Laughing

But seriously, marriage is a bond of both love(a) and law(b) setting forth a couples commitment to each other.

(a) The day they are allowed to restrict my rights on who I can love is the day Orwell's vision of the future is here.

(b) Once they are allowed to restrict fair and EQUAL access to the law of this country based on ANY criteria is the day that ALL of us loose the protection of those laws.

For those of you out there who feel that gay couples shouldn't be allowed to marry, ask your selves just two simple questions.

1) What kind of effect will this have on you and your life?

2) What freaking business is it of yours what two people who love each other do with their lives?

Remember also two important lessons that 'ole Fedral tries to live his life by:

Judge not, lest ye be judged.[/i]

My freedom to swing my arm ends at your nose.[/i]

Just my 2 cents (pre tax)
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Mon 2 Feb, 2004 02:29 pm
Good post, Fedral.

Good thinking.
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Mon 2 Feb, 2004 02:31 pm
Bravo Fedral!
0 Replies

Fedral

Reply Mon 2 Feb, 2004 02:45 pm
Thank you both. I have had this argument SO many times during Republican committee meetings that I always bring throat lozenges (just in case this topic comes up)

I have ended up in screaming matches with some of my fellow Conservatives trying to pound some sense into their head (The fun ones to mess with are the Moral Majority whackos)

I tried to explain it to them that this was one of those slippery slopes that we all have to watch out for.

I mean once they allow part of the law of the land to NOT cover certain people based upon their sexual orientation, whats next?

Next thing they will disallow the legal right to vote based upon the sex of the voter.

Or maybe the right to life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness based upon someones skin color.

Hey look, we fell right back into the 1700's and we all know just how great things were back then. Rolling Eyes (As long as you were a free white male landowner)

I still stand firmly on the Conservative Right, but there are some issues that are just too important to walk in rank with your political brethren.
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Mon 2 Feb, 2004 02:52 pm
Agreed ;-)
0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Mon 2 Feb, 2004 03:27 pm
Bravo kjvtrue!

You sure know how to unite people.

To get Fedral and Frank and I to all be in perfect agreement is quite an accomplishment. I don't think anyone else has ever done this.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Mon 2 Feb, 2004 03:34 pm
ebrown_p wrote:
Bravo kjvtrue!

You sure know how to unite people.

To get Fedral and Frank and I to all be in perfect agreement is quite an accomplishment. I don't think anyone else has ever done this.

:wink: :wink:
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Mon 2 Feb, 2004 03:45 pm
And soooooooo. It is the consensus of the Congress of A2K that the amendment is defeated.

Can't say that we are the do-nothing capitol gang.
0 Replies

kjvtrue

Reply Mon 2 Feb, 2004 04:44 pm
hobitbob wrote:
Did anyone see "Opus" today? I think it neatly summed up why some heterosexuals are intimidated by the consept of gay marriage. Wink
What dose that movie have to do with that?
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Mon 2 Feb, 2004 04:50 pm
Shel Silverstein sang, "Don't give a dose to the one you love most." And you shouldn't give one to a movie, anyway.

Berke Breathed's "Opus," on the other hand, is a comic strip, and Mr. Breathed probably wouldn't mind being dosed in the least. Unless, of course, it was in the way that Mr. Silverstein meant it, may he rest in peace.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 2 Feb, 2004 04:51 pm
You do know, don't ya, PD, that absolutely none of that will sink in?
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Mon 2 Feb, 2004 04:59 pm
Of course I know that. That's how I reassure myself that I'm not being mean. (Though I've been insulted enough in languages I don't understand to know that this isn't true, especially that toothless Dutch bastard at the end of the bar back in '94.)
0 Replies