FINALLY! The Protest movement is targeting our corrupt/incompetent Supreme Court

NotreDame05

Reply Tue 25 Oct, 2011 02:25 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
I need to qualify my statement and in doing so provide a better understanding of the holding in Citizens United v. FEC.

I begin with perhaps a very important phrase from Scalia's concurrence. "The dissent says that when the Framers “constitutionalized the right to free speech in the First Amendment , it was the free speech of individual Americans that they had in mind.” Post, at 37. That is no doubt true. All the provisions of the Bill of Rights set forth the rights of individual men and women—not, for example, of trees or polar bears."

In other words, animals cannot "speak" for purposes of the 1st Amendment, and neither can trees, exactly and precisely because the 1st Amendment Free Speech Clause was not conceived to protect them, not individually or collectively. 1st Amendment free speech rights can best be understood as protecting the individual speech of a person, and collective speech of people, irrespective of the fact the collective speech is done through the medium of a non-human entity, such as a corporation, school, college, university, church, etcetera. So there is a human component to it, when considering the 1st Amendment is not applicable to polar bears and trees.

However, as it pertains to people, to human beings, the text of the 1st Amendment makes no distinction between individual speech or collective speech of people, or the speech of people through and by a corporation, or the speech of a single person. When referring to speech, we are of course talking about some human component, but the 1st Amendment Speech Clause makes no distinction between this human component expressed individually, collectively, or collectively and/or through and by a human created entity.
RileyRampant

Reply Tue 25 Oct, 2011 02:28 pm
@NotreDame05,
hence, for reasons of constitutional as well as political feasibility, this issue needs to be addressed in the language of an amendment.
OmSigDAVID

Reply Tue 25 Oct, 2011 02:45 pm
@NotreDame05,
NotreDame05 wrote:
I need to qualify my statement and in doing so provide a better understanding of the holding in Citizens United v. FEC.

I begin with perhaps a very important phrase from Scalia's concurrence. "The dissent says that when the Framers “constitutionalized the right to free speech in the First Amendment , it was the free speech of individual Americans that they had in mind.” Post, at 37. That is no doubt true. All the provisions of the Bill of Rights set forth the rights of individual men and women—not, for example, of trees or polar bears."

In other words, animals cannot "speak" for purposes of the 1st Amendment, and neither can trees, exactly and precisely because the 1st Amendment Free Speech Clause was not conceived to protect them, not individually or collectively. 1st Amendment free speech rights can best be understood as protecting the individual speech of a person, and collective speech of people, irrespective of the fact the collective speech is done through the medium of a non-human entity, such as a corporation, school, college, university, church, etcetera. So there is a human component to it, when considering the 1st Amendment is not applicable to polar bears and trees.

However, as it pertains to people, to human beings, the text of the 1st Amendment makes no distinction between individual speech or collective speech of people, or the speech of people through and by a corporation, or the speech of a single person. When referring to speech, we are of course talking about some human component, but the 1st Amendment Speech Clause makes no distinction between this human component expressed individually, collectively, or collectively and/or through and by a human created entity.
I AGREE. Institutions have the right to free speech.
The Sierra Club, the AFL CIO, the Catholic Church,
the NRA, the Democratic Party all have the right to free speech and to freedom of the press.
America is the Home of the Brave & the Land of the Free.

David
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Tue 25 Oct, 2011 02:47 pm
@RileyRampant,
RileyRampant wrote:
hence, for reasons of constitutional as well as political feasibility, this issue needs to be addressed in the language of an amendment.
I will fight against amendment
and in favor of continued free speech and free press for everyone.

David
BillRM

Reply Wed 26 Oct, 2011 03:04 am
@OmSigDAVID,
Yes free press where a small group own the presses and the networks.
NotreDame05

Reply Wed 26 Oct, 2011 06:42 am
@BillRM,
How is it any less free because of it?
BillRM

Reply Wed 26 Oct, 2011 08:14 am
@NotreDame05,
Quote:

You got to be kidding me a few small groups being the gatekeepers for most of the sources of informations and opinions in the society.
parados

Reply Wed 26 Oct, 2011 08:25 am
@OmSigDAVID,
So it isn't bribery if you pay him for a position he claims to have before you pay him. It is bribery if he changes his position after you pay him.

That doesn't make much legal sense David.
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Wed 26 Oct, 2011 08:29 am
@NotreDame05,
NotreDame05 wrote:

I begin with perhaps a very important phrase from Scalia's concurrence.

How are you going to provide a better understanding of the holding in Citizens United by quoting from Scalia's concurrence? Scalia's concurrence represents a minority position, not the court's. The concurrence didn't get five votes -- that's why it's a concurrence.
NotreDame05

Reply Thu 27 Oct, 2011 06:48 am
@BillRM,
BillRM wrote:

Quote:

You got to be kidding me a few small groups being the gatekeepers for most of the sources of informations and opinions in the society.

Did my question appear to be a joke to you? I didn't detect, when writing my question, any element of humor in my query, so no, I am not "kidding you."

You have yet to answer my question and merely repeating what you said before, actually merely repeating a statement which prompted my question in the first place, is not an answer to my query.

So, how is this situation you describe above "less free"?
NotreDame05

Reply Thu 27 Oct, 2011 06:53 am
@joefromchicago,
joefromchicago wrote:

NotreDame05 wrote:

I begin with perhaps a very important phrase from Scalia's concurrence.

How are you going to provide a better understanding of the holding in Citizens United by quoting from Scalia's concurrence? Scalia's concurrence represents a minority position, not the court's. The concurrence didn't get five votes -- that's why it's a concurrence.

Did I use Scalia's concurrence exclusively? No, you were remissed to ignore the post in which I quoted exclusively language from the majority opinion and then in a separate post relied upon Scalia's concurrence as an amplification of what they were asserting, since I believe them to be making the same point.

Which, I might add, a concurring opinion amplifying what the majority is asserting is not an unknown phenomenon, it happens with some regularity. It is not uncommon for the Court, in a subsequent opinion, to even refer to and cite a concurring opinion's amplification of a prior decision and adopt it. Furthermore, looking to the concurring opinion for a better understanding of the majority opinion is a practice done by, well, many people in the legal field, such as law professors, judges, Justices, and yes, everyday lawyers.

Now, unless one wants to take the position the majority decision was asserting the 1st Amendment protects polar bears and trees, which they very much were not stating at all, I fail to see what point you hope to make here with this exchange. In carefully reading Scalia's concurrence, and the majority decision, the two are, in many areas, making identical assertions, I merely referred to Scalia's concurrence because he did a better job of actually articulating a specific point the majority was making.
NotreDame05

Reply Thu 27 Oct, 2011 07:05 am
@RileyRampant,
RileyRampant wrote:

So, you are suggesting certain groups of people should not have free speech?
parados

Reply Thu 27 Oct, 2011 07:24 am
@NotreDame05,
I don't think that the founders expected groups of people to be able to speak louder than others and to have courts declare that right to speak louder is protected by "free speech". At that point the government is intruding into the free speech issue when it gives some more speech than others. It is granting certain groups more speech than others simply because they have a greater ability to pay for that speech on mediums controlled and regulated by the government.
BillRM

Reply Thu 27 Oct, 2011 07:33 am
@NotreDame05,
And the answer is direct and simple if the information you are receiving is base on what benefit small sub-groups you are not free.
NotreDame05

Reply Thu 27 Oct, 2011 07:40 am
@parados,
parados wrote:

I don't think that the founders expected groups of people to be able to speak louder than others and to have courts declare that right to speak louder is protected by "free speech". At that point the government is intruding into the free speech issue when it gives some more speech than others. It is granting certain groups more speech than others simply because they have a greater ability to pay for that speech on mediums controlled and regulated by the government.

I am mystified by the phrase "speak louder than others." What exactly does this phrase mean? I have a suspicious as to what it means, and if my instinct is correct, then I can tell you the founding generation was not in agreement with your assessment above.

However, regardless of what the founding generation, or the framers of the 1st Amendment intended or desired, the plain text of the 1st Amendment does not make any distinction on the based on volume, quantity, or amount of speech.
NotreDame05

Reply Thu 27 Oct, 2011 07:41 am
@BillRM,
BillRM wrote:

And the answer is direct and simple if the information you are receiving is base on what benefit small sub-groups you are not free.

So direct and simple you refuse to express it. Thanks.
0 Replies

parados

Reply Thu 27 Oct, 2011 07:48 am
@NotreDame05,
NotreDame05 wrote:

I am mystified by the phrase "speak louder than others." What exactly does this phrase mean?
I thought I made it pretty clear. Paying for mediums that others don't have access to.
Quote:

I have a suspicious as to what it means, and if my instinct is correct, then I can tell you the founding generation was not in agreement with your assessment above.
I don't think the founders agreed that a medium auctioned off and controlled by the government to prevent others from using it was part of the free speech process. I can't broadcast on a wavelength owned by radio or television without being in violation of the law.

Quote:

However, regardless of what the founding generation, or the framers of the 1st Amendment intended or desired, the plain text of the 1st Amendment does not make any distinction on the based on volume, quantity, or amount of speech.

No, it states NO law can be made concerning it. When the government auctions off the radio waves for use it IS making laws. When they allow only those with the most money to use those waves they are clearly making laws that allow people with more money to speak more than those without money.
NotreDame05

Reply Thu 27 Oct, 2011 07:54 am
@parados,
parados wrote:

NotreDame05 wrote:

I am mystified by the phrase "speak louder than others." What exactly does this phrase mean?

I thought I made it pretty clear. Paying for mediums that others don't have access to.
Quote:

I have a suspicious as to what it means, and if my instinct is correct, then I can tell you the founding generation was not in agreement with your assessment above.

I don't think the founders agreed that a medium auctioned off and controlled by the government to to prevent others from using it was part of the free speech process.

Quote:

No, it states NO law can be made concerning it. When the government auctions off the radio waves for use it IS making laws. When they allow only those with the most money to use those waves they are clearly making laws that allow people with more money to speak more than those without money.

I have no idea what you are talking about with the use of the word "mediums" and phrases such as "paying for mediums others don't have access to...medium auctioned off and controlled by the government to prevent others from using it...auctions off radio waves..."

You need to be more specific as to what you are talking about, what specifically you have in mind, and the use of examples, real or fictional, to illustrate what you are stating.
parados

Reply Thu 27 Oct, 2011 07:55 am
@NotreDame05,
Quote:
When the government auctions off the radio waves for use it IS making laws
0 Replies

parados

Reply Thu 27 Oct, 2011 08:00 am
@NotreDame05,
Radio waves are not free for me to use. I can't broadcast on a frequency without paying money to the Federal government. That is Federal law. If radio and television are free speech issues then the government has made laws restricting who can use them. Essentially, they have sold free speech to the highest bidder. That used to not be an issue because radio and television were required to host opposing viewpoints as part of their license. Now, free speech is sold to the highest bidder and everyone else that can't pay doesn't have the same "free" speech.