roger

Thu 16 Feb, 2012 01:51 pm
@izzythepush,
You put gravey on your cookies!!!!?
0 Replies

roger

Thu 16 Feb, 2012 01:52 pm
@Ragman,
And here, muffin has come to mean something like an unfrosted cupcake.
mismi

Thu 16 Feb, 2012 02:24 pm
@Lustig Andrei,
I love McDonald's coffee. And their fries. But I like their hamburgers too. But I'm no food snob. We only eat there when we are traveling - so it's not very often. Well - maybe baseball season when we have had a late game and haven't had supper. Would I rather go somewhere else? Sure - maybe - but other places aren't always so readily available. So MickeyD's is fine with me.

The boys would recognize the McDonald's sign at a very young age when we were travelling to Mobile. They would see the sign in the backseat and start pointing and having a fit - just about every 2 or 3 exits.
izzythepush

Thu 16 Feb, 2012 02:38 pm
@roger,
Actually over here a muffin tends to be an American muffin, blueberry, choc chip etc.
Ragman

Thu 16 Feb, 2012 02:47 pm
@roger,
I'm actually referring to what in America is called an english muffin ..which is not a cake. In UK, they're not called that..just to confuse matters.
roger

Thu 16 Feb, 2012 02:49 pm
@Ragman,
I know, but go to a bakery and you'll mostly find what izzy describes.
0 Replies

Green Witch

Thu 16 Feb, 2012 02:51 pm
@mismi,
Your kids are not the only ones, Mismi. Marketer's know this ability of children to learn logos even before they can read and refer to it as "Pester Power". Companies target the young because they want to "brand them" (their term not mine) with life time recognition and loyalty. This article explains it well:
http://www.media-awareness.ca/english/parents/marketing/marketers_target_kids.cfm

If you watch the movie Food Inc. you will probably avoid McD's in the future, or at least the meat.
cicerone imposter

Thu 16 Feb, 2012 02:53 pm
@Green Witch,
I go to McD's almost every morning, but rarely eat anything there, because I know that most of their food is high salt and calories.

I've been trying to stay away from potato chips, one of my favorite snack foods, and it's been reading pretty good on my BP.
roger

Thu 16 Feb, 2012 03:03 pm
@cicerone imposter,
Potato chips are deadly. Dehydrated potatos, grease and salt. They rehydrate after you eat them, which is when you realize just how many potatos you have really eaten.
eurocelticyankee

Thu 16 Feb, 2012 03:03 pm
@izzythepush,
I do love a Blueberry Muffin.....
http://t3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRvV0Mo7fTmyPT88_W40tbyzTDJjb034OnBKN0Vg6t1amsWA7AI
But I also love a Sausage and Egg McMuffin....
http://t1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcT4aWEMvj4WWQAlBtILbYnDdqnhTf9awzN3OkInCGZSr1n5SYsw-w
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Thu 16 Feb, 2012 03:05 pm
@roger,
Yea, the problem lately has been the good deals on Lays potato chips at 2 for $4 or two for the price of one. But I've been a good boy. Mr. Green
0 Replies

izzythepush

Thu 16 Feb, 2012 03:08 pm
@Ragman,
What you call English muffins we call muffins, but they're not really in vogue, you only tend to see them in McDonalds, and large supermakets. If I want anything like that I'd rather have a crumpet.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Thu 16 Feb, 2012 03:13 pm
@roger,
don't worry about the salt in 'em

(depends how many you love at a time of course)

http://www.health.harvard.edu/blog/everyday-foods-are-top-10-sources-of-sodium-201202084215
Green Witch

Thu 16 Feb, 2012 03:13 pm
@cicerone imposter,
potato chips=crack
0 Replies

roger

Thu 16 Feb, 2012 03:57 pm
@ehBeth,
My problem is in the carbohydrates. Even dried fruits are deceptive in that respect. It's a diabetes thing.

Of course I could eat only one potato chip. Couldn't anyone.
mismi

Thu 16 Feb, 2012 04:05 pm
@Green Witch,
Quote:
If you watch the movie Food Inc. you will probably avoid McD's in the future, or at least the meat.

To be honest - whenever I think about eating out - anyplace - if you just watch people that work there and their habits it's a wonder I will eat anywhere but my own house. I just check the health inspection rating and go with it if it's high....try not to think about the individuals and what they might be doing....

Buffets really freak me out. And I am not a germophobe. My brother is though and he points things out to me that haunt me at times. Very Happy

And on that happy note...
back to the topic.
cicerone imposter

Thu 16 Feb, 2012 04:14 pm
@roger,
Yea, sure, one potato chip - in your dreams. LOL Mr. Green
0 Replies

Green Witch

Thu 16 Feb, 2012 05:07 pm
@mismi,
Well, then you will be happy to know that the McD's washes their chopped meat in ammonia to kill the excessive amounts of bacteria present and suppress the E-coli from feces. Germs are the not the biggest problem in our food supply.
farmerman

Thu 16 Feb, 2012 05:19 pm
@izzythepush,
I can settle this. In the US, a biscuit is baked, while a cookie is BAKED.
ehBeth

Thu 16 Feb, 2012 05:20 pm
@mismi,
I'd definitely go to MickeyD's before a lot of semi-fast food places.

Individual McD's do seem to get higher overall food handling grades than a lot of mom and pop joints (at least around here), and that counts for something at a moment when fast food simply is the only answer to getting people fed.