Do you like McDonalds

Leadfoot

Mon 19 Jun, 2017 08:10 am
I just ate at McDonalds - Again!

My adult weight has never varied more than 5 lbs from its median 165.
It's all about portion control. I just don't buy any 'forbidden fruit' diets unless maybe if you seriously OD'd on something, but otherwise - if it tastes good, eat it.
chai2

Mon 19 Jun, 2017 08:29 am
@Leadfoot,
Leadfoot wrote:

It's all about portion control. I just don't buy any 'forbidden fruit' diets unless maybe if you seriously OD'd on something

Perhaps you should edit that to "it's all about portion control....for me personally"

It's fortunate that you're not pre-diabetic, or diabetic.

Of course portion size plays into any food choices.

I don't sit down and eat 2 dozen eggs, or 5 pounds of meat at a sitting. Obviously I'd gain weight.

But if I eat bread, potatoes or any of the other carb/sugar ladden foods at places like McDonalds or other places, my blood sugar goes where I don't want it to be, I go out of ketosis, crave more carbs and will bloat and gain weight.

Plus, if you haven't eaten it for awhile, it tastes really crappy, even just the meat if you eat it alone.

Seriously OD'ing? Again, that depends on your individual situation. A few months ago, I ate 1/2 bowl of strawberry, without tempering fat in the form of nuts, and felt sick and when I took my glucose had a big hypoglycemic reaction.

ehBeth

Mon 19 Jun, 2017 08:32 am
@Leadfoot,
I'm considering it for lunch tomorrow. A friend wants to take me out for a late birthday lunch. Can't decide if I want to go to McD's or a new Korean restaurant in the neighbourhood. If I thought I could convince her to just steam me up a pound or two of asparagus, I'd go with that Smile
0 Replies

Linkat

Mon 19 Jun, 2017 08:45 am
@chai2,
True everyone's body is different. My daughter who is slim and athletic. She is going to playing college ball next year and works out regularly - she cannot eat crap. She gets sick if she eats at McDonald's; she can't eat donuts and similar overly sweet and rich type foods.

She has no weight problems - her body is almost pure muscle - her body just cannot stomach things that are what you classify as junk food.

Her sister has a steel stomach and can pretty much eat whatever she wants.
chai2

Mon 19 Jun, 2017 03:49 pm
@Linkat,
The thing is linkat, people's body's change.

The way your daughters body works in decades to come can be completely different.

Through my childhood and into my early 30's I was very slim.

Mid 30's to mid 40's I put on some weight, but what I would consider a normal consequence of aging, like 10 to 15 pounds. I too always had a lot of toned muscle, still do.

Then after mid 40's weight started piling on. I would vascillate between figuring it was age catching up to me, and worrying/anxious there was something wrong. The only real answer I could come up with for weight gain for cortisol, because I was under a lot of stress due to husbands ill health, and other things. I ate right, exercised, and honestly, if someone told me I should "just practice portion control" I would have metaphorically smacked them in the mouth. Eating as healthy a diet as I ever did, with the "approved" diet of balance of fruit, veg, low fat, protein, plenty of water, etc etc. I would tell my husband and close friends "I am SO hungry. I have to eat something. I am honestly hungry!" I would get sinking spells, feel nauseous and anxious if I didn't eat. All my blood work was coming up fine, my doctor knew my family history, I would be honest about my food intake, and exercise level. I went on that way from mid 40's to early/mid 50's. To repeat, all my blood work during that approx 10 years was very good.

My mother died of diabetes during that time, but I honestly did not relate it to me. She never exercised, was lazy about what she ate, underestimated/lied to herself about her diet and what she could do for herself. My older sister is diabetic also, but she's been very obese since her early 30's, and inactive, so again, we seemed to be totally different animals.

What I didn't realize was that although my physicals and test results were telling one story, one that was confusing to me, my genetic background, PLUS consumption of what I thought of as healthy carbs (fruits, veg, whole grains) was working against me at a as yet unseen level.

It wasn't until maybe 3 or 4 years ago that my fasting glucose and A1C (3 month average glucose) started creeping up. I got to the point last Oct/Nov that if the numbers went any higher at all, I would be officially diabetic. However, that's all changed, because I've started eating only what people evolved to eat.
Until 10,000 years ago, carbs were something that rarely got into our bodies.

50% or more of this countries population is not diabetic or pre-diabetic simply because they "aren't controlling their portions" or other over simplified reasons. We're that way largely because we've become afraid to eat what our bodies need to burn efficiently, fat, and instead eat sugars/carbs that are in just about every food that's been packaged in some way, even when it doesn't need to be.

We are eating the worst combination, sugars and fat. Our body automatically takes the easy road and burns the carbs, and the fat gets stored. We need to be eating the fat, and allowing our bodies to burn that. Unfortunately, adding anything other than a small amount of carbs will keep us in a constant state of craving for more.

People don't want to hear that, as evidenced by the thumbs down I get, but I didn't make this up on my own. It's the way the body works.

So good thing your fit daughter doesn't gravitate towards crap. Your younger daughter needs to beware of that "I can eat anything" mode. It catches up to you.

farmerman

Mon 19 Jun, 2017 06:10 pm
@chai2,
you ALSO seemed to turn into some kinda diet nazi.

Ill stick with my low glycemic index diet, same **** but studies have shown that ketonic or "paleo" people gain back much of their weight in a year . Anyway seems I like carbs, just not refined ones, that way I dont "Hate my food".
chai2

Mon 19 Jun, 2017 07:02 pm
@farmerman,
Sorry if I seem that way to you Farmer, I'm really not.

People can eat whatever they want. It's none of my business.

I don't believe I've told anyone here how to eat, correct me if I'm wrong.

What causes me I suppose to appear that way is that I'm in fact pretty disgusted at the medical community in general, and the American Diabetes Association in particular for dumbing down what is going on. I have my own feelings as to why, which involves big pharma, and big money.

Why educate people on what they can do, when you can shove expensive mediations down their throat, or into their skin?

People "gain back" weight if they treat any eating plan as a temporary diet.

Of course I would gain weight if I stopped eating the way I am. But, I'm not going to stop eating this way. Why would I when everything tastes good, I'm satisfied, and healthier?

That's part of the problem, people think you can just cut something out for awhile, then go back. We literally want our cake and eat it too.
cicerone imposter

Mon 19 Jun, 2017 08:39 pm
@chai2,
I haven't eaten salami in such a long time, I forgot when I last ate it. But, when my wife and I went to the market today, she let me buy salami. Sodium is 21%. I had it for dinner squeezed between one slice of raisin bread and one cup of mushroom soup. Boy, did I enjoy it!
0 Replies

chai2

Mon 19 Jun, 2017 09:08 pm
I eat salami and mushrooms several times a week.

raisin bread? Not so much.
0 Replies

Leadfoot

Tue 20 Jun, 2017 02:33 pm
@chai2,
Quote:
Perhaps you should edit that to "it's all about portion control....for me personally"

Of course I was generalizing, just as you did in later posts. There are always exceptions - peanut allergies, etc. But the idea that carbs are 'unnatural' to human diet is fishy sounding.

I have relatives who claim to get sick if their food is microwaved. The mind is a powerful thing..
cicerone imposter

Tue 20 Jun, 2017 03:39 pm
@Leadfoot,
I agree that the mind is a powerful thing, but unfortunately for us humans, it's not all that dependable.
0 Replies

chai2

Tue 20 Jun, 2017 05:35 pm
@Leadfoot,
Leadfoot wrote:

But the idea that carbs are 'unnatural' to human diet is fishy sounding.

I never used the word unnatural. Although that could be true.

However, for most of human existence, until we started cultivating grain, we only ate the rare piece of grain. Fruit was definately not how we have today. It grew wild and was much smaller and not nearly as sweet. Occassionally someone would be brave or stupid enough to knock down a bee hive for honey.

The fact is, we, like other animals, didn't eat every day. We ate when we caught something. We ate when something was growing. We took advantage of what was there, when it was there.

Suddenly, in the last couple of decades, many peoples diet has changed dramaticaly, and at the same time diabetes, obesity and other health problems have sky rocketed. Doesn't take much to connect the dots.

If you took an animal that evolved to eat plants, let's say a horse, and force fed him protein and animal fat, no one would be surprised if his health suffered. Horses get a small amount of animal fat and protein from insects they ingest, but not much.

Humans are omnivores, but we didn't evolve to take in the massive amounts of carbs we eat today. So, why should we be confused as to why our health is suffering?

We wouldn't expect other human attributes to change in just a few thousand years, why would we expect this to change?

The fact is, when we were hunter gatherers, we mostly burned ketones, not glucose.
That doesn't happen when you eat every 3 hours, and/or ingest carbs.

"Fishy" sounding is based on nothing. Biology is based on chemistry.
0 Replies

perennialloner

Tue 20 Jun, 2017 06:26 pm
Carbs arent the issue I don't think; it's the way they're processed. High content carb foods like corn and a multitude of grains have been the staple food of communities all over the world for hundreds of years. In Western countries and increasingly countries everywhere, highly processed foods with carbs often come with advertising that distracts from the harmful ingredients they contain, but simply made high content carb foods like couscous, unlevened bread, sourdough, and corn tortillas are not bad for you. They're what people eat with all the vegetable based dishes they eat in poor countries. And occasionally, they'll eat meat with these carbs.
chai2

Tue 20 Jun, 2017 07:06 pm
@perennialloner,
I totally agree with you perennialloner, as far as processing grains, taking away the good in them, and making them toxic to our systems.

However, keeping the name of this thread in mind, that's not how a lot of people eat.

If people were eating all vegetable based dishes, with little meat, cool. But mixing Big Mac sauce and a pickle or french fry for a veg is not the way to go.

Artisan breads that were made hundreds of years ago (and today) like corn tortillas, wheat, rye and other grain breads did not have added sugars. Dry beans mixed with these grains made complete proteins, with lots of fiber, cutting down the immediate effect of the carbs in there. These beans were eaten with lard, tallow and/or oils.

McD's sprays a vegetable that is already carb heavy (potato) and sprays it with dextrose. They add sugar to their buns, breading, sauces, and who knows what else.
They do this for one reason. To keep you coming back.

Quick acting, liver and pancreas burdening and addictive, rather than slow burning, satiating foods that were eaten up until recently.

The incidence of diabetes has increased dramatically since the 1980's.

Right around the time fat became the enemy and sugar started to get added to everything to give some kind of flavor to the new low fat food products.

perennialloner

Tue 20 Jun, 2017 07:26 pm
@chai2,
I like the taste of McDonald's, but I rarely eat it because I know it's bad for me. It's an edible substance masquerading as real food in my opinion. I'm sorry if misunderstood you before, but it seemed like you were saying breads bad for you, especially in your reply to cicerone.
chai2

Tue 20 Jun, 2017 07:31 pm
@perennialloner,
Bread is not appropriate for me personally, and for a lot of people now who have over burdened their systems with a regular flow of foods we weren't meant to process.

For anyone who is skeptical that we weren't meant to process this excess, then, well why aren't we?

Oh. Portion size? If the food eaten actually gave nourishment, and the body didn't have to process larger amounts of it trying to get some good from it, portions wouldn't be much of an issue.

The fattest people are the most malnourished.
Leadfoot

Tue 27 Jun, 2017 01:52 pm
@chai2,
Quote:
a lot of people now who have over burdened their systems with a regular flow of foods we weren't meant to process.

My real disagreement is in the phrase 'we weren't meant to process'.
Just because our eating has changed over the last 5000 years, does not mean that.

Billions of people process McDonalds just fine.

If you find youself starving to death and someone offers you a Quarter Pounder (my personal favorite :-) are you going to turn it down as 'not real food'?
edgarblythe

Tue 27 Jun, 2017 01:54 pm
@Leadfoot,
I once mentioned to two ladies that McDonalds may not be so healthy. They said, "We just pray to god to make it healthy for us and then it's all right."
Leadfoot

Tue 27 Jun, 2017 01:57 pm
@edgarblythe,
As the good book says, 'to him that believes anything to be unclean, for him it is unclean'.
0 Replies

chai2

Tue 27 Jun, 2017 02:13 pm
@edgarblythe,
edgarblythe wrote:

I once mentioned to two ladies that McDonalds may not be so healthy. They said, "We just pray to god to make it healthy for us and then it's all right."

Yes, I'm sure they do just that.