Getting the Last Word

Rockhead

Reply Sat 8 Oct, 2011 03:15 pm
@spendius,
"The only answer offered to that argument is that the vast majority of Americans are stupid. And I don't buy into that. "

dude.

as a group we make cattle look like firkin socrates...
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Sat 8 Oct, 2011 03:16 pm
@Ragman,
Well--tell me WHY you don't agree Rago. Just saying you don't goes nowhere. I can only deal with reasons and not assertions.
Finn dAbuzz

Reply Sat 8 Oct, 2011 03:55 pm
@spendius,
spendius wrote:

The only answer offered to that argument is that the vast majority of Americans are stupid. And I don't buy into that.

On behalf of my fellow Americans spendius, thank you.

Of course we're no more or less stupid than any nation's people (with the possible exception of the French) despite the fact that you will often hear one or two of us admitting that Americans are dumber than a herd of ungulates.

It's funny though how those one or two always seem to think that by admitting the stupidity of Americans, they somehow separate themselves from the rest of the herd.
0 Replies

Ragman

Reply Sat 8 Oct, 2011 04:09 pm
@spendius,
You seem to have lost track of the context of the comment:

Quote:
Not at all Rago. You're missing the point. It is staying in the discussion a part of which has been Ignored. I have no objection otherwise.

Perhaps if read back in the comment stream you did you'd have noticed that discussion was about opinions on ignoring and responses to ignoring.-- meaning those that chose to ignore are still a valued/valuable part of the discussion to the discussion on the whole. The only one who would disagree would be the person ignored in the conversation. Guess you can't please everyone.
Lustig Andrei

Reply Sat 8 Oct, 2011 04:20 pm
Keep goin', guys! I think this is the longest thread I've ever initiated and it shows no signs of flagging. Good job. (There will be no last word on this 'un.)
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Sat 8 Oct, 2011 05:20 pm
@Ragman,
Quote:
meaning those that chose to ignore are still a valued/valuable part of the discussion to the discussion on the whole.

They might well be valuable members of A2K but anybody who chooses to ignore another party in the discussion without legitimate reasons is automatically disqualified from further participation in that specific discussion. That they might enter other discussions is not the point but those others in such discussions should take note that if they have wimped out on Ignore once to avoid answering relevant points they are likely to do so again.

And you end up with discussions about everybody being a huggable "hon" and a wonderful example to us all back and forth until the end of time. Oh- and wishing all their cares and worries away with one short and easy cliche.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 8 Oct, 2011 05:21 pm
As you were informed dozens of times, spendi: If you want to go against the wishes of the thread initiator, you have a chance of getting insulted and/or ignored. In a thread of your own, somebody might seriously address your points of contention.
spendius

Reply Sat 8 Oct, 2011 05:33 pm
@edgarblythe,
In this case ed the thread initiator has just approved of our discussion.

The simple fact that the thread initiator of the evolution threads didn't know what a can of worms he was getting into is nothing to do with me and nothing to do with the argument. If he thought it was simple, cut and dried and obvious that it was logical and sensible for 300+ Americans to be atheist materialists like himself has **** all to do with whether it actually is simple, cut and dried and obvious that 300+ Americans should be atheist materialists. Absolutely **** all.

Setting a superpower straight is not something wande is qualified for.
edgarblythe

Reply Sat 8 Oct, 2011 05:37 pm
@spendius,
So you hijack his thread, because you feel you can do it better.

I am only here to discuss a few things before moving on. I doubt that I will post much on this thread after we get through hashing it over a bit.
spendius

Reply Sat 8 Oct, 2011 05:39 pm
@edgarblythe,
It's a great thread. The Last Word is an interesting topic.
Lustig Andrei

Reply Sat 8 Oct, 2011 05:40 pm
@edgarblythe,
edgarblythe wrote:

So you hijack his thread, because you feel you can do it better.

I am only here to discuss a few things before moving on. I doubt that I will post much on this thread after we get through hashing it over a bit.

That's OK, edgar. I'm sure Spendi will find someone else to waylay so that he can continue to demonstrate the validity of my whole point. Long as spendi's around, this thread will never end.
edgarblythe

Reply Sat 8 Oct, 2011 05:41 pm
@spendius,
At least we agree on that.
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Sat 8 Oct, 2011 05:41 pm
@Lustig Andrei,
Too right.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 8 Oct, 2011 05:42 pm
@Lustig Andrei,
Andrew, it's a thread of destiny. In five years and 100,000 views and 1200 posts, the arguments and discussions will just about get a little stale.
Lustig Andrei

Reply Sat 8 Oct, 2011 05:46 pm
@edgarblythe,
Oh, by then the thread will probably have morphed into something totally different from what it started out as.

(You notice I intentionally said 'morphed' rather than 'evolved.')
spendius

Reply Sat 8 Oct, 2011 05:46 pm
@edgarblythe,
Well leave now ed. You don't wish to be associated with anything stale surely. "Stale" is just another assertion you know and not worth a blow on a ragman's snotrag.
spendius

Reply Sat 8 Oct, 2011 05:49 pm
@Lustig Andrei,
You could have said evolution Andrei. I don't mind.

Have you seen Dinner With Andrei? That was a bit wierd. They only arrived at the last word in that when they judged we were all getting fed up with feeling up a skirt and were incubating a thirst.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 8 Oct, 2011 05:49 pm
@spendius,
A vacuous post, spendi. Did you notice, I suggested you have a warm beer only one time in our whole discussion? That's something of a milestone, what?
spendius

Reply Sat 8 Oct, 2011 05:52 pm
@edgarblythe,
There is no warm beer that I know of. And I'm an expert on beer.

"Vacuous" was another vacuous assertion.
edgarblythe

Reply Sat 8 Oct, 2011 05:55 pm
@spendius,
Are you suggesting the ones asserting that the Brits drink their brew warm are liars?