Getting the Last Word

Fil Albuquerque

Reply Wed 5 Oct, 2011 11:22 am
@spendius,
...are you in need of some glasses to read on A2K Spendius, or that does n´t help any more ?
Fil Albuquerque

Reply Wed 5 Oct, 2011 11:24 am
@Ragman,
...I think Spendius must be smiling by now...
spendius

Reply Wed 5 Oct, 2011 12:26 pm
@wandeljw,
Quote:
Yes. Sometimes I was totally embarrassed and sometimes I only needed to modify my viewpoint in a small way.

Any chance of an example in each case wande? Just in case some cynical readers here might think that the assertion simply serves to prove what an open-minded, regular sort of guy you are and has no relation to anything else. After all, it wouldn't be very nice for you to say that A2K has never shifted your position on anything one jot or tittle. And it is quite a keen pleasure to produce the impression that one is an open-mided regular sort of guy.

I assume that the sort of people who might need more assurances are appraised of those two little motives and of their power.

There are people who might think that you know.
spendius

Reply Wed 5 Oct, 2011 12:29 pm
@Fil Albuquerque,
Quote:
...are you in need of some glasses to read on A2K Spendius....?

What exactly was it that you think my eyes are too dim to have seen?
Ragman

Reply Wed 5 Oct, 2011 12:29 pm
@Fil Albuquerque,
Is anyone a cryptrographer here?
wandeljw

Reply Wed 5 Oct, 2011 12:36 pm
@spendius,
spendius wrote:

Quote:
Yes. Sometimes I was totally embarrassed and sometimes I only needed to modify my viewpoint in a small way.

Any chance of an example in each case wande? Just in case some cynical readers here might think that the assertion simply serves to prove what an open-minded, regular sort of guy you are and has no relation to anything else. After all, it wouldn't be very nice for you to say that A2K has never shifted your position on anything one jot or tittle. And it is quite a keen pleasure to produce the impression that one is an open-mided regular sort of guy.

I assume that the sort of people who might need more assurances are appraised of those two little motives and of their power.

There are people who might think that you know.

I only said that because I want people to think that I am an open-minded, regular sort of guy.
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Wed 5 Oct, 2011 12:44 pm
This thread is becoming as I suggested earlier. It starts as a minor affectation, becomes a vehicle for self-justification and then it is taken more seriously if only as a scientific examination of how minds can, and often do, work.

At that point it gets a bit hot and it is realised that it might be heading where some don't wish to go. Then the objection is raised that those taking it seriously are "taking over the thread" or "always want the last word" and the subsequent flounce off is rendered dignified. It's not as exciting as when the door is slammed sufficiently enough to loosen the roof tiles and rapid and indignant high-heel footsteps can be heard fading into the night.

A species of Ignore.
Rockhead

Reply Wed 5 Oct, 2011 12:47 pm
@spendius,
or, maybe we get tired of certain individuals trying to beat a thread into the dark corner that they like so much, but no one else wants it to end up in...
spendius

Reply Wed 5 Oct, 2011 12:47 pm
@spendius,
A bloke doing it is just funny.
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Wed 5 Oct, 2011 12:49 pm
@Rockhead,
I learned in pubs Rockie that if you go in one you take your chances on what you find. That's why clubs are so boring.
Rockhead

Reply Wed 5 Oct, 2011 12:51 pm
@spendius,
discretion is the better part of valor...
Fil Albuquerque

Reply Wed 5 Oct, 2011 12:58 pm
@spendius,
A2keir´s all glowing wisdom... Wink
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Wed 5 Oct, 2011 12:58 pm
@spendius,
These ladies cannot be allowed to occupy the moral high ground with a flounce and a huruuump! Were that to be the case there would be no Socrates. Xanthippe flounced and huruuuumph!ed so much one might easily suspect she enjoyed it.

On that reasoning it is not only anti-Christian but anti-Pagan as well. There's only the barbaric stage remaining. See the Venus of Willendorf statuette on Google for a rare sample of barbaric womanhood. But leave the cave paintings until you are past it. Barbaric manhood is not a pretty sight.
Fil Albuquerque

Reply Wed 5 Oct, 2011 12:59 pm
@Ragman,
...I love Ted to, its very entertaining !
0 Replies

chai2

Reply Wed 5 Oct, 2011 01:04 pm
@spendius,
spendius wrote:

That's great fun chai.

Actually no, it really isn't.

I mean, unless you're a 7 year old boy. Even then it's only fun for the 7 year old doing it. Then, suddenly, on your own, you realize how stupid it is. The boy ususally bores of it in a matter of days, or a week or 2.

Frankly, I wonder at the social skills and social maturity of those that behave as if it's fun.
Not trying to insult you directly spendius, but have you, or any of the usual suspects really examined why being such a dolt is fun?

Because it irritates others?
Everyone has inside jokes, saying something to a particular person once in a while. But one has to know when to stop, when it's past its prime.
However, it seems some don't get it when the parties over, when it's not a funny aside anymore, and is just plain boring and dumb.

There's a particular poster here that really doesn't know when to call it quits. Everything said has to be argued, even when there's nothing to argue about. Constantly has to make a contrary statement to what is being said. I have wondered what it must be like if he ever convinces a woman to go on a date with him. If it were me, halfway through dinner I'm sure I would excuse myself to go to the ladies room, and just leave.
There'd be no way to get this guy to understand that really, no really I'm serious, this isn't fun or pleasant spending time with you, and there's no sense in explaining "I'm leaving" because he really wouldn't get why, so why bother?
Actually, I understand from someone else here that he's actually a nice guy. However, putting up with his social retardation is not something I can do long term. Goldman has better social skills.

No spendius, et al, it really, no seriously, it really isn't charming, fun, mentally stimulating, thought provoking or anything positive.

Yea sure, 2 sides to everything, blah blah blah. Sometimes though, the end result is, just knock it off already.
chai2

Reply Wed 5 Oct, 2011 01:05 pm
@ehBeth,
ehBeth wrote:

that one's a classic - first I put the three posters on ignore , then I zapped the whole thread from my view - awesome results

You know, a month or 2 ago I clicked on that thread. What you and ragman said. Don't they ever get bored?
0 Replies

chai2

Reply Wed 5 Oct, 2011 01:06 pm
@Mame,
Mame wrote:

Am not.

are so.

So there.

Nyah!@

shut up.

no, You shut up.

you can't tell me that, I'm a grown up
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Wed 5 Oct, 2011 01:07 pm
@Rockhead,
Quote:
discretion is the better part of valor..

What sort of rock is that Rockie?
Rockhead

Reply Wed 5 Oct, 2011 01:10 pm
@spendius,
mostly submerged...

I gotta go now, I think chai's talking about me.
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Wed 5 Oct, 2011 01:20 pm
@chai2,
The cure chai is to not take the little lad on long car trips to places of your devising trapped in the back seat with his sister when he wants to be catching minnows with a jam jar and having a cigarette with his mates. He's attempting to apply what the trick-cyclists call aversion therapy but it's hard to make it work on parents who have learned what's best for him from the experts.

He bored out of his mind. He's under control. On his bloody weekend too. That's really not funny.
0 Replies