Getting the Last Word

CalamityJane

Reply Wed 5 Oct, 2011 09:34 am
@tsarstepan,
....but you're one of the least cantankerous persons on here, so your last word is probably nice Smile
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Wed 5 Oct, 2011 09:48 am
@dlowan,
dlowan wrote:
However, since I mostly have those people on ignore, I generally practice last wordism primary prevention.

An excellent coinage. Yes.
0 Replies

chai2

Reply Wed 5 Oct, 2011 09:53 am
@CalamityJane,
CalamityJane wrote:

I used to be more persistent in the past, but I have grown up...Laughing

I'm in the process of growing up I suppose.

For the longest time, I hadn't paid attention to who the LWF's (thanks ragman) were.
Probably because I don't hang out on political threads much, or other threads where it requires enormous concentration to ferret out what exactly is being said. The concentration comes from having to keep track of who said what 15 posts (or pages) prior, and having World War III happen over a misplaced comma, when someone negleted to add "this is my opinion" or any other of the 10,000 reasons that get, as I've been refering to them as "the usual suspects" going.

That is the issue that I think most annoys everyone. The people who do everything they can to turn a topic into something totally unrelated to what is going on, and making it all about themselves. Sure threads morph and change over the pages, just as conversations in real life do. I'm certainly not above throughing in the occassional non-sequitor, in the spirit of humor, irony or just because I'm feeling weird at the moment.

Lately though I've realized more and more that these usual suspects are doing the equiv of what some little kids do. Like reaching out and touching your sister repeatedly on a long car drive, and when sis finally say "Stop that" or "Mom, Billy keeps touching me" he'll say "What? I wasn't doing anything." Then starting it all over again.
Heh. The difference is if you get your brother to stop by whacking him, or Mom sayings "I'm serious you do that again and I'll (fill in the blank)" and then they follow through, the kid stops.
Here, it's like "I'm a 'adult' Rolling Eyes so you can't make me"

I think pretty much we all like to treat others as adults here, but when you treat a LWF like one, all it does it compell them to push the envelope further and further.

I love it that Shewolf said in another thread "Just Shut Up already"
The people who were really just get in the way, who were doing it on that thread, actually did stop posting.

I've found myself actually saying to someone "I'm not going to say anymore about this, go ahead and take your last word" and they'll immediately respond with something to the equiv of "nommer neener nenner nommer" Some ridiculous comment designed to make you come back one last time.

I think maybe they just had bad experiences while toilet training.
Setanta

Reply Wed 5 Oct, 2011 09:56 am
Man, it's gonna be hard to come up with a pretext to get the last word in this thread!
chai2

Reply Wed 5 Oct, 2011 09:58 am
@Setanta,
Setanta wrote:

Man, it's gonna be hard to come up with a pretext to get the last word in this thread!

whoa, I just farted. Wooooweee.....that one was a real stinker. It's just hanging in the air.
man, I don't even have any matches.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 5 Oct, 2011 10:01 am
Here, pull my finger . . .

(thanks, Darlin')
0 Replies

Ceili

Reply Wed 5 Oct, 2011 10:01 am
@Setanta,
Word.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Wed 5 Oct, 2011 10:02 am
@Setanta,
Setanta wrote:

Just takes patience and quiet persistence.
0 Replies

Ragman

Reply Wed 5 Oct, 2011 10:06 am
@chai2,
...yes...and then there's a thread dynamic where the same two or 3 people (e.g. rape thread) are conducting nearly the same conversation for 6 months or longer. I mean WTF?!
spendius

Reply Wed 5 Oct, 2011 10:06 am
@chai2,
Quote:
Lately though I've realized more and more that these usual suspects are doing the equiv of what some little kids do. Like reaching out and touching your sister repeatedly on a long car drive, and when sis finally say "Stop that" or "Mom, Billy keeps touching me" he'll say "What? I wasn't doing anything." Then starting it all over again.

That's great fun chai.

But like most questions there are two sides to this one. There's a strong suspicion that getting all righteously indignant about someone persisting with an argument might be just a soft cop-out and a way of avoiding where the argument is going, for fear of where that might be, whilst saving face and turning a defeat into a seeming victory.
Ragman

Reply Wed 5 Oct, 2011 10:10 am
@spendius,
but...that being said..so few subjects on here motivate me to thrash out here. I would much rather Google and/or research the subject..or go to Ted.com and hear expert presenters hash over the subject. Far more efficient use of my energy and time.
ehBeth

Reply Wed 5 Oct, 2011 10:11 am
@Ragman,
that one's a classic - first I put the three posters on ignore , then I zapped the whole thread from my view - awesome results
Ragman

Reply Wed 5 Oct, 2011 10:18 am
@ehBeth,
Yeah..and my curiosity got the better of me and I made that thread re-appear. Saw it was totally unchanged. It's back under the waves once more.
0 Replies

wandeljw

Reply Wed 5 Oct, 2011 10:26 am
@Ragman,
Ragman wrote:

but...that being said..so few subjects on here motivate me to thrash out here. I would much rather Google and/or research the subject..or go to Ted.com and hear expert presenters hash over the subject. Far more efficient use of my energy and time.

I feel the same way, except after doing research, I come back to A2K for feedback on whether I have processed the information correctly.
Ragman

Reply Wed 5 Oct, 2011 10:32 am
@wandeljw,
Yes. I agree. There is that alternative; however, over time the number of people on A2K with whom I seek to compare notes is much narrower here than it once was. However, I'm still relatively open-minded about hearing opposing viewpoints as long as they attach sound reasoning behind the counter-point.
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Wed 5 Oct, 2011 10:50 am
@Ragman,
Right then. Duly noted.

What are these "experts" expert at? Presentation?? Weaving the winds??
spendius

Reply Wed 5 Oct, 2011 10:53 am
@wandeljw,
Quote:
I feel the same way, except after doing research, I come back to A2K for feedback on whether I have processed the information correctly.

Have you ever found from A2K that you had processed the information incorrectly?
Mame

Reply Wed 5 Oct, 2011 10:58 am
Am not.

are so.

So there.

Nyah!@
Ragman

Reply Wed 5 Oct, 2011 11:09 am
@spendius,
http://www.ted.com
wandeljw

Reply Wed 5 Oct, 2011 11:18 am
@spendius,
spendius wrote:

Quote:

Have you ever found from A2K that you had processed the information incorrectly?

Yes. Sometimes I was totally embarrassed and sometimes I only needed to modify my viewpoint in a small way.