Do you think it's immoral to step on bugs?

Wylie

Reply Wed 21 Sep, 2011 07:02 am
I'm 24, have a professional job, and I still tend to flatten any bug in my path. When I'm out running or playing tennis, I'll actually go a couple strides out of the way to aim for them with my feet. I don't how many bugs I've crushed in some way over the years (mostly beneath my feet I'm sure) but it's probably a lot and I have no problem doing it.

Do you think that it's immoral? It seems pretty normal to me, maybe childish. Most of my male friends wouldn't think twice before planting a foot over some busy anthill, nor would I. Up until now I thought the only downside was having to scrape their little exoskeletons off my sneaker later, although I usually just leave them stuck down there anyway.

What are your views on this?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 27 • Views: 15,216 • Replies: 227

Fil Albuquerque

Reply Wed 21 Sep, 2011 07:07 am
@Wylie,
...did anybody complained on it ? No ? no functional worries then...
...internally, is there any good reason why you should do otherwise ? No ? ...again no functional worries then...(Morality as a judgement is always centred into a "visual range" of reference)
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Wed 21 Sep, 2011 09:22 am
@Wylie,
...and this was tagged "philosophy"? Oh my, I wonder what Nietsche would say to such utter trivial nonsense Twisted Evil

Ceili

Reply Wed 21 Sep, 2011 09:25 am
You're definitely not a Janist.
Fil Albuquerque

Reply Wed 21 Sep, 2011 09:53 am
@CalamityJane,
Imagine Sigmund Froid then...lol
Fil Albuquerque

Reply Wed 21 Sep, 2011 10:19 am
@Fil Albuquerque,
"Froid"(Portuguese for phonetic purposes) it correctly spells Sigmund Freud, my apologies CJ !
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Wed 21 Sep, 2011 11:18 am
@Wylie,
I suppose it depends upon why you are doing it.

If you enjoy exercising the power of life and death over other creatures, I would suggest that it doesn't speak well of you.

Doesn't make you a monster, just something of a jerk.

firefly

Reply Wed 21 Sep, 2011 11:19 am
@CalamityJane,
Are you trying to bug the topic starter?
Fil Albuquerque

Reply Wed 21 Sep, 2011 11:33 am
@firefly,
...and I thinking the very topic was a "bug" in the system...
0 Replies

smcmonagle

Reply Wed 21 Sep, 2011 11:34 am
@Wylie,
Dont step on bugs!!!!!!!!!!!!! If there is one thing i have have learned about religious contemplations, its that we will never have the answers, so if we cant prove what is right or wrong it is safe to say all ideas of religion are right and wrong. So if the idea of reincarnation is right or wrong then it too may be right, So bugs in your house right now could be a reincarnation of someone who just wants to watch you in your life, maybe that fly is your grandfather checkin up on you, dont be creeped out by the form is was given, just let him check up on you, If you notice, bugs dont hang around very long anyways, so let them do there thing for an hour or so and they will leave.
0 Replies

chai2

Reply Wed 21 Sep, 2011 11:35 am
@Ceili,
Ceili wrote:

You're definitely not a Janist.

I'm not either, but I do have Janist tendancies.

I go out of my way not to knowingly step on a living thing.
I do think what the OP is doing is very childish.

Now, if bug is doing me or my pets harm (i.e. a flea) I will kill them. However, I don't understand (well, I do actually, just an expression in this case) why someone feels they need/want to kill something when it's simply going about its life.

A few years ago I was at a garden center, and the woman in front of me at the checkout had a bunch of plants on a flatbed cart.
I saw a little lizard hop off on of the plants, and perch on the end of the cart.

I said to her, "Look, it's that a pretty lizard?" I was kind of bent over looking at it closer.
She did say a word or hesitate, just reach out her foot and smeared it over the cart.

Since I was bent closer, it really disgusted me. Especially how she could just do that. Why?

I asked her "Why did you do that?!" She just said "I don't know."

That's the problem, we don't think about what we do.

Yes, I think it's immoral, in that if one can do this, they can more easily be unmindful about other things.

If I unearth one of those huge grubs in the garden, I toss it toward the birds. I do feel badly about that, I will confess.

Rockhead

Reply Wed 21 Sep, 2011 11:41 am
@chai2,
better the birds to eat it, than to have those hellish moles dig up your yard trying to eat them...

Ida been hard pressed not to call her a bad name. I like lizards a lot...
0 Replies

Rockhead

Reply Wed 21 Sep, 2011 11:55 am
@chai2,
like this...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RDqTwSO1DDc

(tvma)
Cyracuz

Reply Wed 21 Sep, 2011 12:01 pm
@Wylie,
Quote:
I'll actually go a couple strides out of the way to aim for them with my feet

We tend to think of bugs as pretty insignificant beings, but the bottom line is that what you are doing is wanton killing. If there is no reason to kill the bugs, then why do it? No matter how small they are, they are living things, and intentionally killing them for no reason is inconsiderate and disrespectful.
0 Replies

Cyracuz

Reply Wed 21 Sep, 2011 12:06 pm
@chai2,
Quote:
She did say a word or hesitate, just reach out her foot and smeared it over the cart.

If she had done that in Spain she would have got an earful. Lizards kill bugs, and for that reason they are very well loved by most people who think it is more comfortable to enjoy and afternoon in the sun without too many bugs pestering them.

But I also often see people killing small animals who just happen to cross their path, and when asked why they did it they have no answer. To me that suggests immaturity and mindlessness that we would do well to rise above.
Ceili

Reply Wed 21 Sep, 2011 12:12 pm
I confess, I kill every mosquito I can.
Everything else is live and let live. I too have a soft spot for lizards. I picked one up once, broke the little fella's tail. I still feel bad about that... Sad
Fil Albuquerque

Reply Wed 21 Sep, 2011 12:13 pm
@Cyracuz,
...had it occurred to you that people might just be training their accuracy ?
...aim, set, step on it ! he he he !
0 Replies

izzythepush

@Ceili,
Don't feel bad about it, lizards snap their tails off to escape preditors. He'll grow another.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

I rescue bugs from the pool daily. But not wasps, because they nest too near the residents. I moved a snail off the walk yesterday.
Fil Albuquerque

Reply Wed 21 Sep, 2011 12:15 pm
@edgarblythe,
shhhh...lie about it...I never would confess such a thing...