Do you think it's immoral to step on bugs?

ossobuco

Reply Thu 22 Sep, 2011 01:55 pm
@Fil Albuquerque,
You three are going to entice me to start reading philosophy threads again.
roger

Reply Thu 22 Sep, 2011 02:05 pm
@Linkat,
That's about the way I go at it. If they are indoors, they're as good as dead. I don't like the, and I don't need their little offspring. I make exception for real good predators like ground beetles and spiders. I have never knowingly killed a ground beetle. Outdoors, I tend to walk around them, but no big deal if they get under my foot.
0 Replies

wayne

Reply Thu 22 Sep, 2011 02:08 pm
@Wylie,
Wylie wrote:

I'm 24, have a professional job, and I still tend to flatten any bug in my path. When I'm out running or playing tennis, I'll actually go a couple strides out of the way to aim for them with my feet. I don't how many bugs I've crushed in some way over the years (mostly beneath my feet I'm sure) but it's probably a lot and I have no problem doing it.

Do you think that it's immoral? It seems pretty normal to me, maybe childish. Most of my male friends wouldn't think twice before planting a foot over some busy anthill, nor would I. Up until now I thought the only downside was having to scrape their little exoskeletons off my sneaker later, although I usually just leave them stuck down there anyway.

What are your views on this?

I tend to see this as wanton destruction, some humans seem to enjoy that.
Going out of one's way for the express purpose of destroying something, be it an insect, plant, or man made , is wanton.
I'll leave it to you to decide whether or not your morals condone wantonness.
0 Replies

Fil Albuquerque

Reply Thu 22 Sep, 2011 02:10 pm
@ossobuco,
...as long as you don´t pay attention to more then 10% of it, you are OK...wink
Linkat

Reply Thu 22 Sep, 2011 02:43 pm
@Pemerson,
They have those kindness traps - where you trap the animal and then release some where far away.

You might want to the animal control officer though as sometimes its not allowed or certain animals are not allowed to be moved. Or you may need to hire a professional to relocate the animal.

Yes - I heard of people who have done that.
ossobuco

Reply Thu 22 Sep, 2011 02:59 pm
@Fil Albuquerque,
I have little patience for the philosophy threads. They make me want to violently leap from my chair and check the refrigerator to see if I need to clean it.

But I like them when I see some humor.
0 Replies

Pemerson

Reply Thu 22 Sep, 2011 03:05 pm
@Linkat,
We caught a possum while living farther up into TX Hill Country (where millions of Commanche Indians used to live) and delivered it to a pasture miles away. But, this thing seems bigger, maybe an armadillo. It's so dry here they just scooch through the landscaped areas, sometimes lifting them out of the ground getting at the fat white worms.

You know, if you call anybody asking for help they'll charge a fortune, sometimes removing parts of the deck. I'm trying to keep the thing from building her nest under there. Guess we'll have to get a trap, the heck with someone's laws. This part of TX is where rivers, canyons, cactus, oak and cedar trees abound. So animals are doing what they do when hot and thirsty. We have 9 bird baths or dishes in our gardens, 6 feeders. No room for raccoons (could be), possums, skunks and armadillos. I'm glad we're not living in Australia when there's a drought.

Thanks, Linkat

Linkat

Reply Thu 22 Sep, 2011 03:41 pm
@Pemerson,
Cool - I'd love to see an armadillo.

I'd guess there are fewer laws in regard to moving animals in more remote areas. I have heard that around where I live, you are supposed to have some one liscenced to remove bats from your house! Not like there isn't a million of them.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Thu 22 Sep, 2011 04:00 pm
@Pemerson,
I thought this was interesting....

If you have an animal burrowed in your yard or under your house, you probably want it to leave. The simplest method of removal would be to try something with a strong odor to encourage it to move out. Dropping mothballs down the hole might help evict it, although one reader reported that the armadillo just threw the mothballs back out. If that doesn’t work, you could always try a rag soaked in vinegar or ammonia (anything with a mild form of ammonia, like Windex, should be enough to do the trick — if it smells bad to you, it ought to smell absolutely awful to an armadillo).

https://www.msu.edu/~nixonjos/armadillo/problems.html
Region Philbis

Reply Thu 22 Sep, 2011 04:40 pm

i would never step on bugs...

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-Xv37mUv3Hmw/TZUp-ZuZKtI/AAAAAAAACcc/wxlDlq-rXr8/s1600/bugs_bunny.jpg
tsarstepan

Reply Thu 22 Sep, 2011 06:18 pm
@Ceili,
Ceili wrote:

I confess, I kill every mosquito I can.

I have an irrational hatred towards ear wigs. If they're in my presence they better run.

Bed bugs? It's a rational hatred instead like how i feel about mosquitos.

And when I spent some time live at my father's house after I got out of the army, I went genocidal on that year's gypsy moth caterpillar infestation in his yard's trees.

Must have killed thousands by spraying them with soapy water. Not pleasant times at all having the caterpillers fall by the dozens after each passes of the spraying water hose.
OmSigDAVID

Reply Thu 22 Sep, 2011 06:24 pm
@Linkat,
Linkat wrote:

I thought this was interesting....

If you have an animal burrowed in your yard or under your house, you probably want it to leave. The simplest method of removal would be to try something with a strong odor to encourage it to move out. Dropping mothballs down the hole might help evict it, although one reader reported that the armadillo just threw the mothballs back out. If that doesn’t work, you could always try a rag soaked in vinegar or ammonia (anything with a mild form of ammonia, like Windex, should be enough to do the trick — if it smells bad to you, it ought to smell absolutely awful to an armadillo).
Is that RACIST hatred???
0 Replies

roger

Reply Thu 22 Sep, 2011 06:27 pm
@Region Philbis,
Might that not depend on exactly whose carrot is getting munched?
0 Replies

jcboy

Reply Thu 22 Sep, 2011 06:39 pm
@Wylie,
Get a salad spinner!
0 Replies

roger

Reply Thu 22 Sep, 2011 07:36 pm
Great! One more bug topic and we'll be tied with the marijuanna threads.
0 Replies

chai2

Reply Thu 22 Sep, 2011 07:39 pm
@tsarstepan,
tsarstepan wrote:

Ceili wrote:

I confess, I kill every mosquito I can.

I have an irrational hatred towards ear wigs. If they're in my presence they better run.

What the hell's an ear wig?
tsarstepan

Reply Thu 22 Sep, 2011 07:45 pm
@chai2,
They're evil insects that exist simply to eat people's souls... Sad
http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Earwig
roger

Reply Thu 22 Sep, 2011 07:46 pm
@chai2,
Not sure, but an ear bug is one of those tunes that gets in your mind, and just keeps going, and going, and. . . .

Knowing Stepan, it's probably the same thing.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Fri 23 Sep, 2011 01:41 am
@chai2,
Earwigs come indoors at this time of year, that's what makes them so horrible. The particularly like hitching rides on laundry.
Ceili

Reply Fri 23 Sep, 2011 01:50 am
@izzythepush,
Earwigs seem to have nine lives too. They are very hard to kill and seem to take a stomping as a challenge to defy laws of physics.