Do you think it's immoral to step on bugs?

edgarblythe

Reply Wed 21 Sep, 2011 12:16 pm
@Fil Albuquerque,
Practical compassion, I call it.
Fil Albuquerque

Reply Wed 21 Sep, 2011 12:19 pm
@edgarblythe,
...just joking Edgar...when younger I would kill bugs just for fun...these days I regret the sheers stupidity of such actions...
edgarblythe

Reply Wed 21 Sep, 2011 12:20 pm
@Fil Albuquerque,
I used to put firecrackers in ant hills and would stake scorpions over ant holes, to watch them fight.
Fil Albuquerque

Reply Wed 21 Sep, 2011 12:24 pm
@edgarblythe,
...yeah sort of what I used to do...thankfully these days I am well aware of my "buggy "condition in this world...
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Wed 21 Sep, 2011 12:25 pm
Bugs are people too. I think Abraham LIncoln said that.
JLNobody

Reply Wed 21 Sep, 2011 01:05 pm
@edgarblythe,
I think he meant some people are bugs.
Fil Albuquerque

Reply Wed 21 Sep, 2011 01:07 pm
@JLNobody,
...well I speak for myself I donĀ“t know about you...( and I bite to ! he he he)
chai2

Reply Wed 21 Sep, 2011 01:07 pm
@Rockhead,
Rockhead wrote:

Laughing

Oh God that's GREAT!

Yes, I do get like that. But, in a good Sigourny Weaver way.

ugh, the way that woman did that. I'm sure you've seen the video "Bambi vs. Godzilla"?
0 Replies

chai2

Reply Wed 21 Sep, 2011 01:10 pm
@Ceili,
Ceili wrote:

I confess, I kill every mosquito I can.
Everything else is live and let live. I too have a soft spot for lizards. I picked one up once, broke the little fella's tail. I still feel bad about that... Sad

When I walked in my office building the other day, a lizard was inside, sitting on the stairs. I guess I looked pretty funny trying to herd it out.

Lizards are harder to herd than cats even.
G H

Reply Wed 21 Sep, 2011 03:24 pm
@Wylie,
Quote:
Do you think that it's immoral? It seems pretty normal to me, maybe childish. Most of my male friends wouldn't think twice before planting a foot over some busy anthill, nor would I. Up until now I thought the only downside was having to scrape their little exoskeletons off my sneaker later, although I usually just leave them stuck down there anyway.

I suppose intent factors into moral evaluations of interactions with nonhumans. You're clearly conscious of these entities when you slay them -- this is not like our unknowingly killing trillions of microorganisms everyday and couldn't do anything about it even if we could spare the ludicrous moment to remember it now and then.

So, are you doing it for practical reasons, such as considering them be a potential threat or menace? Are you playing a predator role to keep their populations in check? If you're doing it purely out of hate for bugs, or sadistic impulses, or it's just an unthinking reflex/habitual action -- then you should have no problem generating a conclusion about the behavior yourself.

If the latter circumstances should be applicable, whether or not you should give a #$^% afterwards about re-programming yourself for the sake of "bugs" is again up to you. Most species probably aren't on an endangered list (looking kind of gloomy for domestic bees in recent years, though) and it's probably unlikely that they'll hire a hit man to whack you.
0 Replies

Pemerson

Reply Wed 21 Sep, 2011 03:45 pm
All I ask: Do you have any plans for your life? Why do small bugs bring out the violence in you? You could check out the why of this urge to kill bugs. What next, bigger bugs? Also, check out your self-esteem. This is creepy, why would you think someone would want to know such a thing about you?
OmSigDAVID

Reply Thu 22 Sep, 2011 02:51 am
@Wylie,
Quote:
Do you think it's immoral to step on bugs?
Is that murder, on a purely racial basis ???
0 Replies

igm

Reply Thu 22 Sep, 2011 05:27 am
@Wylie,
Wylie wrote:

I'm 24, have a professional job, and I still tend to flatten any bug in my path. When I'm out running or playing tennis, I'll actually go a couple strides out of the way to aim for them with my feet. I don't how many bugs I've crushed in some way over the years (mostly beneath my feet I'm sure) but it's probably a lot and I have no problem doing it.

Do you think that it's immoral? It seems pretty normal to me, maybe childish. Most of my male friends wouldn't think twice before planting a foot over some busy anthill, nor would I. Up until now I thought the only downside was having to scrape their little exoskeletons off my sneaker later, although I usually just leave them stuck down there anyway.

What are your views on this?

Surely, it's wiser to be known for kindness not cruelty.
OmSigDAVID

Reply Thu 22 Sep, 2011 07:40 am
@igm,
Wylie wrote:

I'm 24, have a professional job, and I still tend to flatten any bug in my path. When I'm out running or playing tennis, I'll actually go a couple strides out of the way to aim for them with my feet. I don't how many bugs I've crushed in some way over the years (mostly beneath my feet I'm sure) but it's probably a lot and I have no problem doing it.

What are your views on this?
igm wrote:
Not necessariliy; people can and will
hit u up, if u r too well known for kindness.

David
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Thu 22 Sep, 2011 08:02 am
@igm,
igm wrote:

In most, but not all cases.

0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Thu 22 Sep, 2011 11:17 am
@Wylie,
Well my view - if they are in the house it is fair game to crush them. Although on a rare occassion I have scooped them up on a tissue or napkin and then opened the door and allowed them to be free. I figure if they are in your house, they are tresspassing and therefore it is moral to get rid of them any way it is easy for you.

Outside though it is immoral. You are now in their home so you have no right (other than being a big bully) to crush them. However, sometimes it happens by accident as they are so tiny you may not see them - then it is considered an accident.

Linkat

Reply Thu 22 Sep, 2011 11:19 am
@chai2,
Oh and yes I agree if you are outside and they are attacking you have the right to defend yourself. So a bee or mosquito or any creature biting or stinging you - you can kill and not feel you are being immoral - simply defending yourself or some one else.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Thu 22 Sep, 2011 11:22 am
@Ceili,
Yeah - I once squashed a frog - not on purpose, I was walking from my car to the house, it was dark and I stepped on the poor thing. I felt bad and digusted as it was an ugly mess.
0 Replies

Pemerson

Reply Thu 22 Sep, 2011 01:48 pm
@Pemerson,
I didn't mean to so short with you, but you did say you actually liked stepping on them, even go out of your way to squash them.

There is another extreme. Some people don't think they should (I won't say "believe in") kill bugs at all. Lady next-door doesn't think she should kill bees, ants. Well, 2 years ago she had a mess of bees in all those vines surrounding her many oaks and last year she was told there were termites in her privacy fence (people nextdoor built a higher fence behind hers). I wonder if she kills fleas. Dumb, dumb.

I spray now and then to keep them the heck away. Works better. Some animal is digging under our fence to get to our nice damp shrubbery and last night he bent some very strong wire to climb under our low deck. My husband asked if he should set a trap. What should I do? I placed huge stones in the big holes under fence, stapled wire back.
ossobuco

Reply Thu 22 Sep, 2011 01:53 pm
@chai2,
Sig line, Sig line!!
0 Replies