How do you deal with it when this happens?

mt774

Mon 19 Sep, 2011 06:34 am
How do you guys deal with this, when you're walking along the streets after coming from store and a beggar approach and ask if you are carrying any spare change but you don't have that change and that beggar keeps following you and saying that he needs that change to eat and so forth but how can i give him some change if there is none on my person. How should i react to this???

djjd62

Mon 19 Sep, 2011 06:40 am
it's a free country he has a right to walk down the street, just keep walking, an ipod helps as well
0 Replies

Fido

Mon 19 Sep, 2011 06:46 am
@mt774,
mt774 wrote:

How do you guys deal with this, when you're walking along the streets after coming from store and a beggar approach and ask if you are carrying any spare change but you don't have that change and that beggar keeps following you and saying that he needs that change to eat and so forth but how can i give him some change if there is none on my person. How should i react to this???
I don't know any beggers... I know many poor human beings who need help in one fashion or another; but mostly, they need a relationship, some one who sees them as a person, takes an interest in their lives and shares their burden... Naturally, to give what a person asks is a small thing when to give what they need, what we all need is almost too large to bear... And there but for the grace of God go I... I have a terrible fear of seeing Jesus in those who ask my help, a fear that I will turn God away from my door in the shape of some wretch... I am given a choice by such people to see God, or to be God, to be the hands of God, to hear their prayers and anticipate their needs or to drive them deeper into despair, and they have the power to make me moral, and so, to make of me what I make of them: A Human Being...
0 Replies

ehBeth

Mon 19 Sep, 2011 07:15 am
@mt774,
That'll teach you to leave the house without any cash on ya.
Below viewing threshold (view)
DrewDad

Mon 19 Sep, 2011 08:08 am
@mt774,
"I'm sorry, I'm not able to help you today."
OmSigDAVID

Mon 19 Sep, 2011 08:11 am
@DrewDad,
DrewDad wrote:
If it were ME,
I 'd rather not lie about it.
In refusing, I have been truthful.
I take Nancy Reagan 's advice: "Just say no."

David
0 Replies

mt774

Mon 19 Sep, 2011 08:24 am
@DrewDad,
DrewDad wrote:

I said for few times that but this guy was being quite insistent.
tsarstepan

Mon 19 Sep, 2011 09:50 am
@mt774,
Duck into another store and notify the police if he or she follows you into the store or is obviously awaiting outside said store door.
0 Replies

chai2

Mon 19 Sep, 2011 10:05 am
@mt774,
Tell him you're a Native American, and not the Dances With Wolves kind.
0 Replies

Linkat

Mon 19 Sep, 2011 10:59 am
@mt774,
Some what related - I tend not to like to give money to such individuals as you do not know what they are going to use the money for. Some really do use it to buy food, but others unfortunately will use it for cigarettes, alcohol or drugs - which I'd prefer not to help support one of those habits.

Any how, I was on the subway one morning talking with a co-worker. This familar homeless person was on the subway going from person to person asking for "ya got any spare change" - well my change ain't spare sporto. So when he got to me (as with most of the morning commuters) I said sorry No.

Of course he decides to give me a hard time. Whatta ya, cheap or something? Because I cannot stop myself (my poor co-worker was horrified thinking this guy doesn't have all the tools in the toolshed if ya know what I mean).

And I said no, John, don't you remember I've bought you coffee before. (which I have, he also frequents near my office) and when he is in there, I'll buy him coffee. So he asks where - and I told him point blank where -that shut him the h*ll up. He even thanked me right there.

I've seen him frequently and he is basically a harmless drunk - he is a drunk and homeless. He frequently stays at shelter in my city so I've seen and heard him enough to kind of get to know his story.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Mon 19 Sep, 2011 12:17 pm
Well, a woman approached me at a car wash, last time. I didn't question her circumstance, just gave her the bills that were in my wallet. Another time, a fellow outside a convenience store. "Please. So I can get a sandwich." I grinned, as I handed him three or four dollars. "You ain't gonna get no sandwich," I said. What do I care how they spend the money. They need; if I have I give.
Fil Albuquerque

Mon 19 Sep, 2011 03:59 pm
@edgarblythe,
I do the same...if I give I don't ask...using money to humiliate people is not my thing... Wink
0 Replies

Lustig Andrei

Tue 20 Sep, 2011 12:34 am
Edgar and Fil -- agree with you both. What a panhandler is going to use any money I give him for is none of my business. My only concern is, am I willing to help a fellow human being who claims to need help that I am easily able to provide. I will always share whatever I have as long as I can.
OmSigDAVID

Tue 20 Sep, 2011 06:19 am
@gungasnake,
gungasnake wrote:
Hand him a can of Alpo dog food and tell him that should hold him
until he gets a job and can afford something that tastes better...
In 1984, I went to India, at the behest of my drycleaner.
A beggar was hounding me (whatayaEXPECT there??)
I was in the mood to not be impolite.
I threw a large Milky Way bar into his extended pan.
It fell with a loud noise. Maybe ten minutes later,
I was surrounded by more beggers yelling: "CHOCOLAT!!!!!"
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Tue 20 Sep, 2011 06:28 am
@Lustig Andrei,
Lustig Andrei wrote:
Edgar and Fil -- agree with you both. What a panhandler is going to use any money I give him for is none of my business. My only concern is, am I willing to help a fellow human being who claims to need help that I am easily able to provide. I will always share whatever I have as long as I can.
MY responses r hetergeneous n disparate; also unpredictable.
A lot depends on my mood of the moment.
Once I was walking in Midtown Manhattan, when approached by
a black bum that asked me for $7
n told me that if I gave it to him, he was going to buy a bottle of gin.
I figured "what the hell?" and gave it to him.

David
OmSigDAVID

Tue 20 Sep, 2011 06:33 am

Something else that is fun:
sometimes, I have been approached in the street by kids,
or in the summertime, selling ice cream from a refrigerated cart.
I pay for the merchandise with a $5O bill and leave without taking change.

An exercise in hedonism

David
0 Replies

ehBeth

Tue 20 Sep, 2011 06:33 am
@edgarblythe,
edgarblythe wrote:
What do I care how they spend the money.

I earned my money. I care how it is spent.

I'll go buy food with panhandlers, but I'm not just handing over cash. Or if I do give cash (because they eventually admit it's not for food), I explain they're getting less than if they'd let me buy them food. i.e. I might spend $5+ on food, but they'd never get more than a little bit of random change in cash.

The panhandlers I see semi-regularly know my rule. They approach me if they actually need/want food.