How do you deal with it when this happens?

Fil Albuquerque

Thu 22 Sep, 2011 07:05 am
@Finn dAbuzz,
...you see I don´t buy that not for a sec...people buy the power of ruling for a couple of minutes someone else´s life with quick money...spare change is not to improve someone else´s life, for that you have institutions...spare change is just a way of not being indifferent to pain...I in fact find it almost childish to play the quick judge of such complex situations...kind of I will check if you are buying food or boose...lol, who am I to say that he is not allowed to have his quick fix...I repeat it is not my place to judge where in the hell he will spend his money once I give it to him...that is plane simple humiliation !!! ...we are just depriving someone even further away of having one of the most basic rights around, the ability to take its own decisions, and whether they are right or wrong, they still are his decisions...
...bottom line, I only help if I want to, I just am not for playing posh and abusive...it makes me sick !
Fil Albuquerque

Thu 22 Sep, 2011 07:25 am
@Fil Albuquerque,
...unfortunately it is not at all surprising that some countries deal with foreign affairs like they deal with beggars on the street...a matter of emotional intelligence or the lack of it...
OmSigDAVID

Thu 22 Sep, 2011 07:34 am
@Fil Albuquerque,
Fil Albuquerque wrote:
...you see I don´t buy that not for a sec...people buy the power of ruling for a couple of minutes someone else´s life with quick money...
I have not done that, when I 've given.
I have never been interested in "power".
I do it out of hedonism; to create joy
and sometimes, to create freedom (especially giving to kids).

Fil Albuquerque wrote:
spare change is not to improve someone else´s life, for that you have institutions...
I am anti-collectivist.
That includes disregarding collectivist charities.
I give to create individual joy, when I choose to DO it.

Fil Albuquerque wrote:
spare change is just a way of not being indifferent to pain...
Sometimes, I 'm indifferent to pain,
depending on my mood, who it is and the circumstances.

Fil Albuquerque wrote:
I in fact find it almost childish to play the quick judge of such complex situations...kind of I will check if you are buying food or boose...
I don 't care about that.
I 1ce gave a black bum $7, when he asked me for that amount
for a bottle of gin; no problem.

David

OmSigDAVID

Thu 22 Sep, 2011 07:36 am
@Fil Albuquerque,
Fil Albuquerque wrote:

...unfortunately it is not at all surprising that some countries deal with foreign affairs like they deal with beggars on the street...a matter of emotional intelligence or the lack of it...
I hope that we will end all foreign aid
and leave the cash in the possession of those to whom it belongs.

Foreign aid is unConstitutional.

David
Fido

Thu 22 Sep, 2011 07:41 am
@Fil Albuquerque,
Fil Albuquerque wrote:

The hard thing is to give a **** and form a relationship with such people, even if for a moment... Building the Detroit V A Hospital, I was in bad shape... When I got a sinus infection I had to go to the feed store for hog antibiotics which were so huge I nearly choked to death on half... But I used to carry a little change just for the people who would spin an excuse and ask for help... What does it matter what the excuse is when I have so much more than they??? Some of the men would tell them to get the hell away from them, but simply by giving some change I felt like a millionaire... Go in peace... A former cop who bought the nearby mobil station kept seeing my name on charge receipts and one time the clerk told him I was there... I was talking to him and pumping gas when a man came up and asked for change... The Black former cop told the black man in need to leave this man alone... The man in need said: I am talking to this man, meaning me... And the former cop said: And I AM talking to You!!!. I said: its alright... I carry money just for that purpose, and gave the man fifty cents or so, because I do not count... I cannot judge people, or care enough... If that man was buying rat poison to end his life I would have helped... If he was trying to quell his pain, I fully understand, because that was exactly as I was doing in giving him money... I hurt too... Denying his pain is not better than denying my own...
Fil Albuquerque

Thu 22 Sep, 2011 07:41 am
@OmSigDAVID,
...a fair reply all in all...one thing I like about you David at least you are coherent with your beliefs and you do believe something, you have a cause, not just another zombie in the block...
Fil Albuquerque

Thu 22 Sep, 2011 07:43 am
@OmSigDAVID,
...you just did mistake the word in there, mostly its not aid its investment....aside that all good...
OmSigDAVID

Thu 22 Sep, 2011 07:43 am
@Fil Albuquerque,
Fil Albuquerque wrote:
...a fair reply all in all...one thing I like about you David at least you are coherent with your beliefs and you do believe something,
you have a cause, not just another zombie in the block...
Thank u.

David
OmSigDAVID

Thu 22 Sep, 2011 07:45 am
@Fil Albuquerque,
Fil Albuquerque wrote:
...you just did mistake the word in there, mostly its not aid its investment....aside that all good...
So far as I remember, government has no authority to invest overseas.

David
Fil Albuquerque

Thu 22 Sep, 2011 07:51 am
@Fido,
...I once told you that we are more alike then you think...I am not just that obvious in my posts...mostly I play the tough guy...but face to face I am all to understanding, even more then I should sometimes...my big dilemma in life is precisely on how to conciliate in a delicate balance the demand for Darwinism and excellence, with the need for help and cooperation...it requires clarity like nothing else !
0 Replies

Fil Albuquerque

Thu 22 Sep, 2011 07:54 am
@OmSigDAVID,
..."investment" can have many names titles and forms...
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Thu 22 Sep, 2011 07:56 am
@Fil Albuquerque,
You make a good argument, but if you are giving him the money he is begging for, I don't think there is anything fundamentally wrong with attaching strings to it. If he doesn't want anything to do with the strings, he can tell you to piss off and he will be exercising his basic right to make decisions.

If by tossing him change you are buying yourself a moment of absolution, that's fine too, but it shouldn't be confused with charity.

Fil Albuquerque

Thu 22 Sep, 2011 08:03 am
@Finn dAbuzz,
...well I am all to aware I am buying something, and that my motives ultimately are selfish...its been a long time now when I lost the illusion of being entitled to feeling good when I give something away...this days my trick is to forget about it as fast as I can instead of keeping feeling good...it makes me ashamed of myself to be that pitifully human...
Fil Albuquerque

Thu 22 Sep, 2011 08:05 am
@Fil Albuquerque,
...my self judgement is that I must be the worst kind around...I am as pretentious as they come...
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Thu 22 Sep, 2011 08:09 am

I very seldom give for charity.
I give for hedonism; that is more fun.

I try ALWAYS to be selfish. To be unselfish is perverted.

David
Fil Albuquerque

Thu 22 Sep, 2011 08:13 am
@OmSigDAVID,
...you see David...from what you said, which is wise in its own right, it still makes me believe I know more about Capitalism then you do...I know all to well the market rules...the thing is we never give anything David...we TRADE !
Linkat

Thu 22 Sep, 2011 08:16 am
@Finn dAbuzz,
I've probably written about this before - but I have heard similar as far as "professional" panhandlers.

There used to be this young woman that I'd see regularly sitting with a sign that said "Hungry". A co-worker not too long later let me know she went to college with this girl - and it wasn't a state college, it was a private expensive college.

Then not to long after that I read an article in the local newspaper. In the paper this guy says him and a friend drove up and parked - he stayed in the car while his friend went into the bank. He noticed this woman (exactly fit the description with the "Hungry" sign, etc. He said he was thinking about going to buy her some food when to much longer this "blind" man comes up to her. They then walk over and walk to a car (new, but not expensive car) and the "blind" man drives off. He takes down the liscence plate.

Having connections, he finds out the car is registered to a pretty nice suburb of Boston. He gets the number and calls - the man answering the phone hangs up once he asks about the panhandling. He keeps trying to call and when he gets the woman, she explains just because they have a new car and live in a nice area doesn't mean the need the money. She continues they are using the money to get married....
Linkat

Thu 22 Sep, 2011 08:19 am
Oh and speaking of bums --- whatever happened to that guy with the voice
Fil Albuquerque

Thu 22 Sep, 2011 08:20 am
@Linkat,
...I agree that professional beggars may constitute a problem...I distinguish those by separating active from passive beggars...someone sitting around, mouth shut, no signs, and with a discrete posture always gets my sympathy...
OmSigDAVID

Thu 22 Sep, 2011 08:26 am
@Fil Albuquerque,
Fil Albuquerque wrote:
...you see David...from what you said, which is wise in its own right, it still makes me believe I know more about Capitalism then you do...I know all to well the market rules...the thing is we never give anything David...we TRADE !
No.
I have given with the donee not having exchanged anything in return.

Once, e.g., while approaching my parked car,
waiting for a light to change, there was a boy there
wearing a bookbag on his back. Its cover was only
half closed; semi-wide open. I reached into my
jacket hip pocket and took a handful of trash cash
(change of $2Os or $5Os from merchants) and quietly
dumped it in his bag. He did not know it.
He gave me nothing in exchange.

Sometimes I have just dumped a handful of trash cash
on a restaurant table, as I pass by, especially
if a kid is seated there.

David