How do you deal with it when this happens?

izzythepush

Wed 21 Sep, 2011 04:14 am
@OmSigDAVID,
Literally a penis, but in reality an idiot.
OmSigDAVID

Wed 21 Sep, 2011 04:40 am
@izzythepush,
izzythepush wrote:
Literally a penis, but in reality an idiot.
If I were a person of a mental age below 3 years,
I coud not operate a computer. Singling out a body part makes no sense.

David
izzythepush

Wed 21 Sep, 2011 04:50 am
@OmSigDAVID,
I was just bringing your vocab up to scratch. I have no desire to discuss any of your body parts.
OmSigDAVID

Wed 21 Sep, 2011 05:40 am
@izzythepush,
izzythepush wrote:
I was just bringing your vocab up to scratch.
I have no desire to discuss any of your body parts.
U have no reason to interest yourself in my scratching; personal intrusion. Some nerve.

David
izzythepush

Wed 21 Sep, 2011 05:43 am
@OmSigDAVID,
Obviously the phrase 'up to scratch' is something you are unaware of, like a considerable chunk of the English language.
OmSigDAVID

Wed 21 Sep, 2011 05:47 am
@izzythepush,
izzythepush wrote:
Obviously the phrase 'up to scratch' is something you are unaware of, like a considerable chunk of the English language.
Have u nothing better to do
than to concern yourself with what I know about SCRATCHING???

Mind your own business.
0 Replies

Fil Albuquerque

Wed 21 Sep, 2011 11:51 am
@ehBeth,
...have you consider a career in law ?
ehBeth

Wed 21 Sep, 2011 12:02 pm
@Fil Albuquerque,
Mebbe that'll be my retirement plan Cool
Fil Albuquerque

Wed 21 Sep, 2011 12:04 pm
@ehBeth,
fair fair... wink
edgarblythe

Wed 21 Sep, 2011 12:15 pm
I wrote on another thread this morning:
I think I give to beggars in large part because our situations have been interchangeable at different points in my life.
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Wed 21 Sep, 2011 08:48 pm
@Fil Albuquerque,
Fil Albuquerque wrote:
fair fair... wink
but is the NYC fare fair ?

David
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Wed 21 Sep, 2011 11:37 pm
@mt774,
I like ehbeth's approach, but that would involve more time than I am willing to commit to a panhandler. Usually I give them a buck or what spare change I have in my pocket and move on.

I won't give them anything if they are agressive.

When I was 16, I travelled from Long Island to NYC to secure my first passport. I had to get to the Pan Am building, but had no idea where it was. When I came upon a young women asking men in suits for spare change, I told her I would give her $2 if she would give me directions to the Pan Am building.

She told me she was leaving this corner anyway and would take me to the building herself as it was along the way to where she was going. We talked as we walked and I asked her if she panhandled on a regular basis or just when she needed a few bucks. She told me it was her regular "job" and that she made close to $20,000 a year at it. This was in 1971.

When we reached my destination she told me to keep my $2 and wished me good luck. Several years later 60 Minutes did a piece on professional panhandlers in NYC and featured a guy from the New Jersey suburbs who lived in a nice house and commuted to Manhattan everyday to ply his trade. He claimed he was making something like $40,000 a year.

Just last week my wife and I drove from La Guardia to upstate NY. We got stuck in a crawling traffic jam in the Bronx and witnessed two beggers battle for what I guess was a primo spot for panhandling. The traffic was due to ramp construction and so I'm assuming it was a daily jam that the beggers could count on. They both were walking in between the barely moving cars holding cardboard signs that referenced their homelessness and hunger. Both seemed relatively young, and were filthy. Both were wild haired and wild eyed and both walked with limps. In fact they looked like they could be brothers, and for all I know, maybe they were.

When the taller of the two spied the other approaching, he started to yell and gesture angrily. The smaller one grinned and shouted back at him, only to quickly shuffle away when the one with apparent territorial rights came at him with a raised table leg. Because we were pretty well stuck, we got to watch the scene play out for a while.

Fortunately, the two never actually came to blows but there were a lot of threats, a lot of cursing and even a few thrown objects. Eventually the smaller of the two must have decided he wouldn't be able to drive the other off ( it was clear that there would be no sharing of the turf) because he scuttled across the highway and sort of jumped and rolled over a barricade, to be seen no more.

Neither of them got money from anyone and I would have not rolled my window down for either of them even if they had not been at war. I can't say what they wanted money for, but I'm sure they weren't professionals and I would be surprised if it wasn't for drugs or booze.

A sad experience that led to speculation about their lives and no good ideas about what society could or should have been doing for this pathetic pair.
I seriously doubt that giving them money would have been of any real help to them, but if they had approached me while I was walking and had saved their aggression for each other, I probably would have tossed them a couple of bucks. I know though that it would not have made me feel good to do so; it never does.
Fil Albuquerque

Thu 22 Sep, 2011 12:05 am
@Finn dAbuzz,
...it is not my problem where do they spent their money...besides is better to beg then to robe...my only condition is that they be passive beggars...
(if I give I give because I want to...I am improving someone´s happiness whatever way it goes...)
...if my societal parameters don´t fit someone else I fill partially responsible for that...I am glad to know that much...
OmSigDAVID

Thu 22 Sep, 2011 02:29 am
@Finn dAbuzz,
Finn dAbuzz wrote:
I know though that it would not have made me feel good to do so; it never does.
I have had the experience a few times
of giving a few $$ to street bums that r going thru garbage cans
in search of bottles. Each time I did that, the bum seemed not to enjoy it,
tho each $1 is worth 20 cans or bottles (unless thay changed the deposit amount).
He or she accepted it as tho it were a newspaper from last week.
It was devoid of hedonic value.

My sense of the situation was mental disturbance
in the donee beneficiaries.

More ofen, I begift people whose looks I like.
That does not always work out well either.

David
0 Replies

Old Goat

Thu 22 Sep, 2011 02:41 am
@mt774,
"and ask if you are carrying any spare change"

Technically, unless you are lying on your deathbed, the correct answer should be "at this moment in my life, I have no idea".

jcboy

Thu 22 Sep, 2011 04:19 am
When I first moved to St. Pete panhandlers were everywhere. I remember going into subway one day for lunch and a guy asked me for change to get something to eat, I really didn’t have any change on me, I offered to buy him a sandwich, he didn’t want one.

The city banned them and now they have crossed the bridge to Tampa.

http://www.tampabay.com/news/localgovernment/st-petersburgs-panhandling-ban-underscores-citys-economic-divide/1102042
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Thu 22 Sep, 2011 04:26 am
I don't live where the majority of panhandlers do their business. When I meet one it's the odd encounter. I play by my feelings. If something seems other than as presented I may withhold my money. In general, I don't care what they do once I have left them.
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Thu 22 Sep, 2011 04:57 am
@Old Goat,
Old Goat wrote:

"and ask if you are carrying any spare change"

Technically, unless you are lying on your deathbed, the correct answer should be "at this moment in my life, I have no idea".
How is that "technically" the correct answer??
I don t follow the logic here.

David
izzythepush

Thu 22 Sep, 2011 06:01 am
@OmSigDAVID,
OmSigDAVID wrote:

I don t follow the logic here.

Or anywhere else for that matter.
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Thu 22 Sep, 2011 06:22 am
@Fil Albuquerque,
Fil Albuquerque wrote:

...it is not my problem where do they spent their money...besides is better to beg then to robe...my only condition is that they be passive beggars...
(if I give I give because I want to...I am improving someone´s happiness whatever way it goes...)
...if my societal parameters don´t fit someone else I fill partially responsible for that...I am glad to know that much...

I'm not suggesting it's anyone's responsibility to give these folks money or to influence how they spend it.

Since they want the money for one reason or another, I suppose we are temporarily improving their happiness when we give them spare change, but we're not improving their lives. Again...not saying anyone should feel obligated to improve their lives, I just don't think it's much of an act of kindness to throw damaged people some spare change or a couple of bucks.

Surprising them now and then with $50 seems, at least to me, more a self-indulgence then charity, but there's a lot worse ways to play with people for a quick endorphin rush.

Again, I think ehbeth has the right idea. It takes more time and effort than throwing cash at them (which is why I don't do it), but it's far more indicative of caring charity.

The only criticism intended here is the self directed sort.