Do you believe the Native Americans to be savages?

Setanta

Reply Sun 18 Sep, 2011 02:18 pm
What fool tagged this history? They must have misspelled fantasy.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sun 18 Sep, 2011 02:19 pm
@raprap,
If you read the novel, at the end, Jack Crabbe condemns them all as filthy savages.
mt774

Reply Sun 18 Sep, 2011 02:20 pm
Thomas Jefferson called them savages and Jefferson is who most Americans respect so why can he call them savage but old American westerns can't then?
Rockhead

Reply Sun 18 Sep, 2011 02:21 pm
@mt774,
you know that Jefferson kept his black children a secret, right...?
mt774

Reply Sun 18 Sep, 2011 02:25 pm
@Rockhead,
Yeah but why so many Americans still respect him so?
hawkeye10

Reply Sun 18 Sep, 2011 02:25 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
Quote:
Declaration of Independence,
as "the merciless Indian savages
The situation was certainly irretrievable by that point, but the question is did it have to have gone that way? It is a debatable point, and I do wish that we could get some clarity on this point however mass weeping over what happened to the indians always seems to close minds and the debate down...
0 Replies

Rockhead

Reply Sun 18 Sep, 2011 02:26 pm
@mt774,
you tell me.

you're the preacher here...
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Sun 18 Sep, 2011 02:27 pm
@mt774,
mt774 wrote:

Yeah but why so many Americans still respect him so?
Because he deserves it....he did not live in the year 2011, you can not expect him to have lived by the morals of 2011.....to do so is grossly unfair towards him.
chai2

Reply Sun 18 Sep, 2011 02:28 pm
@mt774,
mt774 wrote:

Also, i will watch Stagecoach because that's what film professors will say to watch and they will laugh at Dances with Wolves and say it is terrible movie and tedious such things but i have seen that too.

Professors, plural?

Or the one for whom you're writing your assignment, and would think DWW was an amazing movie if he/she had been part of making it?

I feel a story coming on.
I had a professor in college who called himself native american because he had a great great grandfather who was 1/8 indian or something.

He was always saying **** about "my people"
Once he said "when my people were being killed by your people.....(forget the rest, but it was addressed to the entire class)

At breaktime I told him "When 'YOUR' people Rolling Eyes were being killed 'MY' people didn't even know 'Your' people existed.
Rockhead

Reply Sun 18 Sep, 2011 02:30 pm
@chai2,
this is why I refuse to have people...
0 Replies

mt774

Reply Sun 18 Sep, 2011 02:33 pm
@hawkeye10,
But by that reasoning Malcolm X could be considered respected because he can't be expected to live by 2011 morals? But many Americans of today described him as fanatical black militant.
0 Replies

raprap

Reply Sun 18 Sep, 2011 02:39 pm
@Setanta,
Always thought he said that to protect 'the human beings' from further degradation through hippie envy.

"Was a hundred and eleven years ago when I as only thirteen"----now get out of here.

Rap
0 Replies

Foofie

Reply Sun 18 Sep, 2011 04:10 pm
Shouldn't a modern day person of Native American descent be asked the question that started this thread? Asking a bunch of Americans of European descent, considering we were socialized in a culture that for decades made Anglo-Americans the hero of every film or story, is sort of silly, in my opinion.
hawkeye10

Reply Sun 18 Sep, 2011 04:44 pm
@Foofie,
Foofie wrote:

Shouldn't a modern day person of Native American descent be asked the question that started this thread? Asking a bunch of Americans of European descent, considering we were socialized in a culture that for decades made Anglo-Americans the hero of every film or story, is sort of silly, in my opinion.
And only black people can talk about blacks, only women can talk about women, only muslims can talk about muslims and so on and so on.....that should make for a lot of peace and quiet!
0 Replies

Ceili

Reply Sun 18 Sep, 2011 06:42 pm
I haven't seen the movie, so there is a possibility I'd either love it or hate it. However, I don't go to Hollywood for accurate portrayals of history. There are good history books, there are poor history books, but the difference is... they generally weren't written for the ratings and they are usually chock full of dry information, dates and all kind of stuff that would be boring up on the silver screen. The movies are about stories, fiction not truth, what sells or will make a profit.
It's often said history goes to the victor. They can write or rewrite history to suit their purposes. If Benjamin Franklin though less of certain people then, it doesn't stand to reason he'd think the same way now. He was a product of his times, a well educated, fascinating man. A man with a head full of brilliant ideas, but not every thought is a great one, not even between the ears of a genius.
If this movie was so great, why hasn't it been remade? Not that it's the true test of a great movie, but 1939? Come on! Hollywood can't resist the opportunity to recycle an idea. If this one was compelling it would have been re-spun. The reason is, because, you can't make that kind of blatantly racist movie anymore. We've evolved, or at least most of have and speaking for most of us, I don't want to watch or give any of my time to that kind of message. But back in the day, the audience believed that crap and would pay to watch it. Not anymore..
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Mon 19 Sep, 2011 12:24 am
@mt774,
mt774 wrote:
Well i watch Stagecoach and those films that had people working for that film that supposedly knew the knowledge about that era of the Native Americans to portray them in the way they feel accurate.
John Wayne was a native American: he was born in Iowa.

David
0 Replies

mt774

Reply Mon 19 Sep, 2011 01:36 am
Why can Stagecoach and The Searchers be dismissed as bad movie when many film professors and film buffs will always say to watch that for good understanding of that era and one of the best western movies ever made, are all those film buff's just disliking the Native Americans or maybe they don't care that Native Americans are portrayed barbarically just as long as film is directed well??
Lustig Andrei

Reply Mon 19 Sep, 2011 01:47 am
@mt774,
mt774 wrote:

Why can Stagecoach and The Searchers be dismissed as bad movie when many film professors and film buffs will always say to watch that for good understanding of that era and one of the best western movies ever made, are all those film buff's just disliking the Native Americans or maybe they don't care that Native Americans are portrayed barbarically just as long as film is directed well??

Nobody is dismissing them as bad movies, for Pete's sake. They're excellent movies. But they don't necessarily reflect historical truths. You don't watch a commercially made movie to learn history. You watch it for entertainment and for its artistic and aesthetic values. I think you're a little confused about the distinction between fact and fiction, mt774.
Setanta

Reply Mon 19 Sep, 2011 02:00 am
@Lustig Andrei,
At this point, thanks to the Native American Ministry of Propaganda, you might just as well use the movies as to use any politically approved sources. Neither one deals in historical fact.
Lustig Andrei

Reply Mon 19 Sep, 2011 02:03 am
@Setanta,
That's true but "politically approved" sources are horseshit by definition.