Can't Describe My Disappointment

Reply Wed 14 Sep, 2011 08:33 am
Obama: all right Congress... you HAVE to pass this bill for America. I mean it this time.

America : finally, Obama shows some toughness.

Congress: Screw you Obama. We're not giving you ****. Whether it's good or bad for the country doesn't come into it.

Obama uh....okay. (again)

sozobe

Reply Wed 14 Sep, 2011 08:41 am
@blueveinedthrobber,
Where's the "uh okay"?
0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Wed 14 Sep, 2011 08:45 am
On the way. He's the PRESIDENT for God's sake. Rick Perry, who may very well be our next President, (God help us all) will not hesitate to undo everything he wants with an executive order and tell Congress and everyone else to **** themselves. If you don't flex your muscles occasionally they WILL atrophy. It's painful to watch.
sozobe

Reply Wed 14 Sep, 2011 08:46 am
@blueveinedthrobber,
So you're all upset about something that didn't actually happen?
BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Wed 14 Sep, 2011 09:12 am
@blueveinedthrobber,
Rick Perry's history demonstrates that he is totally corrupt. When will Texas improve it's laws to punish it's wide-spread corruption?

BBB
wandeljw

Reply Wed 14 Sep, 2011 09:15 am
@blueveinedthrobber,
Relax. If you ever visit Chicago, I will take you on a tour of historic Obama landmarks.
blueveinedthrobber

Reply Wed 14 Sep, 2011 10:48 am
@sozobe,
It's already happening. Congress has already told him to screw himself. All that remains is the inevitable watering down to unrecognizable or outright shelving of this proposal. It WILL happen . Again, it's already half done.
blueveinedthrobber

Reply Wed 14 Sep, 2011 10:48 am
@wandeljw,
I'll pass. This guy is a huge disappointment and in losing progressives, moderates, jews, independents, he has opened the door for the republicans to screw us deeper and harder.
wandeljw

Reply Wed 14 Sep, 2011 10:55 am
@blueveinedthrobber,
Are you sure? The "Obama: Pride of Chicago" T-shirts look really cool.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Wed 14 Sep, 2011 10:56 am
@blueveinedthrobber,
Well, no.

There will likely be some compromise because that's how the whole democracy-not-dictatorship thing works.

But to "unrecognizable or outright shelving," no, I don't think so. Especially not "outright shelving," since "unrecognizable" is a bit subjective.

Lots of reasons.

For, one, and I am exercising considerable restraint in keeping large font size and loud colors out of this, Obama has already gotten a hell of a lot of stuff done.

For another, where there has been major compromise, it's usually been for an important reason. For example, merely the threat of default sent the markets tumbling and freaked out the economy. Actual default likely would have been much, much worse. It's to the Republicans' extreme discredit that they held the economy hostage, but they did. Since Obama was the adult in that situation, he eked out an agreement that gave up a lot but also gained a lot, and most importantly -- and that's not insignificant -- avoided default.

The jobs bill doesn't have that kind of doomsday scenario behind it. And it's something he's pushing hard. There aren't that many things he pushes from the beginning, and when there is one, it tends to be the kind of thing that gets pushed through to completion. And, again, he's done a hell of a lot of that, in extremely difficult circumstances.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Wed 14 Sep, 2011 11:03 am
Random result for "what has president obama accomplished?", I chose it because of all of the cites:

http://pleasecutthecrap.typepad.com/main/what-has-obama-done-since-january-20-2009.html
blueveinedthrobber

Reply Wed 14 Sep, 2011 11:10 am
@sozobe,
I understand he's accomplished some good things. that's not the subject. He has let Congress run over him and backed off MANY of the things he was elected for.

Those on the left who cannot (or refuse) to recognize that Obama has mishandled his job enough to open the door for a GEORGE BUSH FOR GOD'S SAKE CLONE need to be fitted for the same tinfoil hats the tea party and far right are wearing.
blueveinedthrobber

Reply Wed 14 Sep, 2011 11:11 am
@blueveinedthrobber,
PS...Like the Tea Party you're going to have a hard time presenting your point of view when you post a "cut the crap" link.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Wed 14 Sep, 2011 11:17 am
@blueveinedthrobber,
blueveinedthrobber wrote:

I understand he's accomplished some good things. that's not the subject. He has let Congress run over him and backed off MANY of the things he was elected for.

Hard to blame Obama for that, as he's the President, not a member of Congress. He pointed out during the last election that our country wasn't designed for the Prez to run the Congress as well, the way Republicans do it.

The person you really should be pissed at is Harry Reid. If he had had the stones to actually change the Filibuster rules, we could have avoided tremendous amounts of this bullshit. But he didn't, and here we are.

Quote:
Those on the left who cannot (or refuse) to recognize that Obama has mishandled his job enough to open the door for a GEORGE BUSH FOR GOD'S SAKE CLONE need to be fitted for the same tinfoil hats the tea party and far right are wearing.

As opposed to those who rant about what a terrible president he is? He got stuck with a bum deal from day 1: 2 wars, a huge recession (which was much, much worse than initially projected) and an opposition who was willing to lever any amount of hate and latent racism to defeat anything he wanted to do to make the situation better. He hasn't done such a bad job in the face of all that.

Cycloptichorn
woiyo

Reply Wed 14 Sep, 2011 11:37 am
@Cycloptichorn,
"He got stuck with a bum deal from day 1: 2 wars, a huge recession (which was much, much worse than initially projected) and an opposition who was willing to lever any amount of hate and latent racism to defeat anything he wanted to do to make the situation better. "

And in 3 years he can not figure a way out of the problem. Every President inherits something from the prior. We can only judge them on how they handle the problem. So far, Obama has shown me he is not capable being a leader. He has shown me his advisers provide bad advice. He has shown me he can not work with this Congress (not sue anyone could , but that is a different discussion).

The fact you need to bring the discussion down to "name calling" shows me over the years, you have not grown up yet.
sozobe

Reply Wed 14 Sep, 2011 11:37 am
@blueveinedthrobber,
I think those on the left who are expecting some sort of miracle-working and who then start saying that Obama is a failure are doing far more to open a door for a clone.

Seriously.

I just spent some time looking for something that I just don't remember enough of to find back -- I think it was the New Yorker, but it may have been the New York Times or it may have been one of a bazillion other things. So with no cite, you don't have to take my word for it.

But it was examining the idea that liberals tend to think hey, Bush pushed all kinds of things through that we didn't want, so why can't Obama?

In fact, that doesn't stand up. Bush had bipartisan support for the stuff we tend to think of as unpopular, like authorizing the Iraq war (Hillary Clinton went ahead and voted for it, for example), and the Patriot Act (Hillary again).

The only time Bush had to really push for something, he failed. That was his attempt to privatize Social Security.

So, what is the subject? You're complaining about something Obama might do, but hasn't.

And complaining that he's let Congress run over him -- that's what that list of accomplishments really addresses. An excerpt from the beginning:

Quote:
Legislative Prowess

Despite the characterizations of some, Obama’s success rate in winning congressional votes on issues was an unprecedented 96.7% for his first year in office. Though he is often cited as superior to Obama, President Lyndon Johnson’s success rate in 1965 was only 93%. http://n.pr/i3d7cY
0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Wed 14 Sep, 2011 11:40 am
I have defended him many times. Do you deny that by bad management or bad luck he has lost a LOT of voters and opened the door for the repubs to get back in? He has not been a bad President considering.... but we needed an OUTSTANDING president. Just okay isn't good enough. I and many others knew that going in. I voted for Obama but only to keep those two idiots out. Things have turned out exacttly as I predicted, and I'm no more bright than the next guy.

I suppose that as in 2008, some folks will now come in on cue to call me a racist.
Cycloptichorn

Reply Wed 14 Sep, 2011 11:48 am
@woiyo,
woiyo wrote:

"He got stuck with a bum deal from day 1: 2 wars, a huge recession (which was much, much worse than initially projected) and an opposition who was willing to lever any amount of hate and latent racism to defeat anything he wanted to do to make the situation better. "

And in 3 years he can not figure a way out of the problem. Every President inherits something from the prior. We can only judge them on how they handle the problem. So far, Obama has shown me he is not capable being a leader. He has shown me his advisers provide bad advice. He has shown me he can not work with this Congress (not sue anyone could , but that is a different discussion).

The fact you need to bring the discussion down to "name calling" shows me over the years, you have not grown up yet.

Name calling? Point out where.

The recession can't be 'figured a way out of' in a few short years, given the severity of the problem. Do you realize that between Sept. 2008 and Jan. 2009, when Obama took office, the economy lost over 2 million jobs? 2 million. After his election, and the passage of the ARRA, that immediately turned around; we started losing less and less jobs, and now are creating private-sector jobs every month (though still shedding public-sector ones).

We have to produce somewhere around 150k jobs a month just to stay even. For Obama to have overseen a recovery from the recession, we would have to add somewhere around an additional 80k jobs per month, every single month, on top of what we need just to stay even. That has never happened historically and it wasn't going to happen under Obama - and especially not with an opposition party who didn't want anything to get better, and will do anything to defeat him.

Cycloptichorn
sozobe

Reply Wed 14 Sep, 2011 11:51 am
OK, we've gone from "Obama did something that pissed me off" to "OK he hasn't done it but he might, and by the way he's a huge disappointment" to "OK so he's gotten a lot of good things done but he can't just be good, he has to be OUTSTANDING."
Cycloptichorn

Reply Wed 14 Sep, 2011 11:54 am
@sozobe,
This is what many refer to as the 'professional left' syndrome. Nothing he does will ever be good enough for many of those who initially opposed his candidacy.

It's the ultimate 'glass half-empty' mentality. Sort of like having a great QB on a team who ends up 9-7.

(Bear, I'm not calling you racist, so don't flip out)

Cycloptichorn