JTT

Reply Sat 24 Sep, 2011 04:56 pm
@Rockhead,
Quote:
no judge is going to bring a 300 pound greasy motor into his courtroom.

It's not greasy, Rock. Didn't you hear, there were no oil leaks?

Smile
0 Replies

MMarciano

Reply Sat 24 Sep, 2011 08:18 pm
@Rockhead,
Don't give Morgan any ideas, he will have some kind of plants growing out of the old engine in the backyard.
Rockhead

Reply Sat 24 Sep, 2011 08:28 pm
@MMarciano,
I have a friend that uses an old model T as a front yard planter.

he lives in the city.

his neighbors prolly don't like it as well as he does, but it makes a nice landmark when giving directions...
MMarciano

Reply Sat 24 Sep, 2011 08:30 pm
@Rockhead,
Morgan still has the old toilet sitting in the backyard, perhaps the two can go side by side.
Rockhead

Reply Sat 24 Sep, 2011 08:33 pm
@MMarciano,
some good digital pictures of the galled and burned up main bearings would be a good idea.

the motor would have to be opened up to get there...
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sat 24 Sep, 2011 09:00 pm
@MMarciano,
That old toilet is still useful, says ms. grump.
MMarciano

Reply Sat 24 Sep, 2011 09:16 pm
@ossobuco,
I had to help carry the old tub out to the alley and we called for a special pick up, well within an hour someone had come by and took it away.
Rockhead

Reply Sat 24 Sep, 2011 09:17 pm
@MMarciano,
if it was an old claw foot tub, they are worth some money...
MMarciano

Reply Sat 24 Sep, 2011 09:29 pm
@Rockhead,
That it was. Morgan changed out Antonio's bedoom door for a glass door and put the old door out in the alley, it was gone in an hour as well.
ossobuco

Reply Sat 24 Sep, 2011 10:04 pm
@MMarciano,
And you're all railing at me - well, not you two - re child accommodation. I don't understand about making princes comfortable with perfectness and the importance of that. But I've read about italians and sons for thirty years.

I get to say this - this is a money toss.

The child does not care. Hurling money is not useful and potentially harmful.

(I know I'm a bitch.)
ossobuco

Reply Sat 24 Sep, 2011 10:05 pm
@ossobuco,
Consider me the vociferous aunt.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sat 24 Sep, 2011 10:19 pm
@MMarciano,
I find it hard to believe it was a clawfoot in that house. But maybe. My bro in law's unusual house had one.
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Sun 25 Sep, 2011 03:12 am
@Rockhead,
Rockhead wrote:

saving the engine for evidence is silliness.

although you might ask your mechanic if he is willing to go to court with you.

small claims court will be fast and furious, but with an independent reputable mechanic testifying, you will slam dunk him...

Just so you know, decisions in Small Claims Court are not enforced in any way, shape, or form.
hawkeye10

Reply Sun 25 Sep, 2011 03:29 am
@Brandon9000,
Quote:
Just so you know, decisions in Small Claims Court are not enforced in any way, shape, or form.
see here

Quote:
I asked a relative (who was also a lawyer) to send them a demand letter, which they also ignored. Having had enough of this, I filed suit in Small Claims Court, and paid a process server to deliver the papers to Jiffy Lube's local corporate representative.

I got a letter back from their Houston main office, still claiming that they were not responsible for the local Jiffy Lube franchise's actions. Then I got a contradictory letter, from the same office, claiming responsibilty, but mentioning a Jiffy Lube in a completely different state. No one from Jiffy Lube even bothered to respond to the Court within the required 30 days, and so I applied for and got a default judgement.

I then sent a demand letter, with a copy of the default judgement, to Jiffy Lube International in Houston via certified mail. It was ignored! I then spent about $3 on pre-printed garnishment forms, and sent a certified demand letter to their Oregon rep, and added a warning that I was ready to begin garnishment.

The receipt for the certified letter, and the check for the full amount, arrived the same day.

In retrospect, I can see that Jiffy Lube was unable to do anything to satisfy my claim until forced to by threat of garnishment, and that they seem willing to ignore Small Claim Court filings, and let them go to default judgement. Oh well ... I did get my money, but only after a 6 month fight.

This is a great testimony to persistence. Jiffy Lube and many other national companies, we're told, routinely ignore Small Claims filings. That's good because, as Kris noted, the consumer can then request and often receive a default judgment. The next hurdle is collecting which, as Kris notes, is not easy either. It can be done, though. The key is to keep identifying persons and assets that can be targeted.

http://www.consumeraffairs.com/automotive/jiffy_lube_win.htm

JCBOY certainly has his work cut out for him.....
roger

Reply Sun 25 Sep, 2011 05:27 am
@hawkeye10,
JC sounds nothing if not persistant.
0 Replies

MMarciano

Reply Sun 25 Sep, 2011 08:43 am
@ossobuco,
I don’t think you’re a bitch at all and you have brought up some good points. Antonio doesn’t care in the least about how his room looks or what he wears to school. Morgan thinks he has to wear a different outfit every day, I keep telling him it’s a waste of money, he won’t be wearing them six months from how, that’s how fast he outgrows his clothes.
0 Replies