Rockhead

Reply Thu 8 Sep, 2011 08:17 pm
@jcboy,
this is far from the first time this has happened at J lube.

I personally have seen this 3 times in Kansas. and heard of many more through the years working on vehicles.

they need to pay for a new motor.

at a shop of your choosing...
JTT

Reply Thu 8 Sep, 2011 10:27 pm
@Rockhead,
Is that how they got their name, Jiffy Lube. They can do it faster if they don't have to put new oil in.
hawkeye10

Reply Thu 8 Sep, 2011 10:56 pm
@JTT,
JTT wrote:

Is that how they got their name, Jiffy Lube. They can do it faster if they don't have to put new oil in.
The final straw with Oil Can Henry's was when they threaded the oil filter wrong, and on start up oil sprayed all around. I mean ****, if these boys are going to charge me nearly $60 for a synthetic blend change I expect perfection, I expect that I am getting a highly trained and highly paid auto mechanic to change my oil.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Fri 9 Sep, 2011 04:03 am
In the UK a 'jiffy' is a brand of condom. 'Real men come in a jiffy,' is one of their slogans.
MMarciano

Reply Fri 9 Sep, 2011 07:08 am
I almost feel a little sorry for the manager of Jiffy Lube. Morgan is there now and I’m sure he’s giving him hell.
chai2

Reply Fri 9 Sep, 2011 08:04 am
This happened to a friend of mine at Jiffy Lube, years ago.
Guess they haven't gotten any better.
0 Replies

chai2

Reply Fri 9 Sep, 2011 08:04 am
@izzythepush,
izzythepush wrote:

In the UK a 'jiffy' is a brand of condom. 'Real men come in a jiffy,' is one of their slogans.

Laughing
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Fri 9 Sep, 2011 08:08 am
@MMarciano,
Good, sounds like he deserves it.
0 Replies

Questioner

Reply Fri 9 Sep, 2011 09:33 am
@Rockhead,
Rockhead wrote:

this is far from the first time this has happened at J lube.

I personally have seen this 3 times in Kansas. and heard of many more through the years working on vehicles.

they need to pay for a new motor.

at a shop of your choosing...

Agreed, Jiffy Lube has garnered a reputation for being shady as hell. You can google search Jiffy Lube Scams and it will bring up story after story of them charging for parts they don't actually install, services they don't perform, and overall idiocy and lack of care in dealing with other people's property. I avoid them like the plague.
0 Replies

jcboy

Reply Fri 9 Sep, 2011 04:23 pm
What a pain in the a$$. First I met with the manager at Jiffy Lube this morning and told him what happened. He tells me his shop would never allow a car to leave without oil. I showed the paper work that showed my mileage when I got the oil change and the mileage from the garage where the truck is, 10.2 miles!, and then he proceeds to tell me some people have actually drained their own oil just so they can get a new engine out of jiffy lube.

That’s when I pulled out the receipt for the rebuilt engine I had bought and told him I didn’t need a new engine, I already had one before I brought it in here. He took the garage name and number and said he would give them a call, and call me back. I talked to the garage just an hour ago and they hadn’t heard from him yet, they did tell me they couldn’t find where any oil had leaked out and their only conclusion was none was put in. I have a feeling this will take a while.
sozobe

Reply Fri 9 Sep, 2011 04:31 pm
@jcboy,
Aw, sorry jcboy. Sounds like you're handling it well. Good on ya for keeping receipts, etc.
jcboy

Reply Fri 9 Sep, 2011 04:34 pm
@sozobe,
Thanks. I’m going to have the garage order another engine and put it in and then I’ll take on Jiffy Lube. I’m not one to just let things go and let somebody take advantage of me like that. I don’t give up that easily.
hawkeye10

Reply Fri 9 Sep, 2011 04:37 pm
@jcboy,
What I read as your naive expectation that you will get what you want in the end conflicts with other posting from you that indicates that you have been around the block before. This franchise is never going to agree to buy you an engine until pressure is applied by either corporate or your lawyer or both.

0 Replies

roger

Reply Fri 9 Sep, 2011 04:38 pm
@jcboy,
jcboy wrote:

What a pain in the a$$. First I met with the manager at Jiffy Lube this morning and told him what happened. He tells me his shop would never allow a car to leave without oil. I showed the paper work that showed my mileage when I got the oil change and the mileage from the garage where the truck is, 10.2 miles!, and then he proceeds to tell me some people have actually drained their own oil just so they can get a new engine out of jiffy lube.

Sounds like he has become accustomed to complaints like yours. Gee, I wonder why.
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Fri 9 Sep, 2011 04:41 pm
@jcboy,
Well, good luck, JC.

I had a situation like yours very recently, with a result that floored me. I did something dumb in an installation that caused some damage that went unnoticed until I had finished the job.

I phoned their customer service and asked if it could be repaired. They checked my serial number and said, "Sorry, that material can't be repaired. You'll need a new part".

Today, I had a message to call them. I thought, "Great, they've figure out a method to fix the problem".

No such luck.

The rep informed me that they needed my address to ship out a replacement. After I got up off the floor, gobsmacked, I stammered out the address and hung up.

Two minutes later I phone back to make sure that they weren't expecting payment. "Nope", they said, "no money needed".

GOBSMACKED, again, fer sure!

I had never asked or even intimated that they should provide a new part, not a cheap thing by any means. They had zero to do with causing the problem and yet, they not only provided a new part but took the initiative to find me to ensure its delivery.

I have never in my life had an experience with a company like that. Usually, as you are no doubt aware, and hopefully not about to be involved in, it's a flood of excuses, haggling, more excuses, more haggling, ... .
0 Replies

Ceili

Reply Fri 9 Sep, 2011 04:42 pm
I think you might want to talk to a lawyer. Stat.

When my kids were little, I got new brake pads put on my car. I remember tooling around town with the brake light coming on intermittently for next couple of hours. I'm no gear head. I thought maybe it was an electrical problem. After all, I just got the brakes fixed, they couldn't be the problem, right? So, the next day, I'm driving down the freeway, and look ma, no brakes... Thank god it was a standard and I could gear down, but I still crashed, a fairly soft crash.. into a pole. Not fun!
I now make all mechanics show me the fluid levels are where they should be..
Good luck with everything.
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Fri 9 Sep, 2011 04:44 pm
@jcboy,
I'd take your new engine estimate to him and give him another chance to be honest and address the situation. I think that it would go a long ways if you have to employ legal or other means.

By the by, my brudder is really good at these types of negotiations. For a small fee, [and a percentage of gross] we might even be able to get you title to that Jiffy Lube franchise.
Ceili

Reply Fri 9 Sep, 2011 05:04 pm
I should probably add that the mechanics forgot to put in brake fluid, thus the problem.. sorry.
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Fri 9 Sep, 2011 05:08 pm
@JTT,
Quote:
I'd take your new engine estimate to him and give him another chance to be honest and address the situation. I think that it would go a long ways if you have to employ legal or other means.
Good move, and after that fails have a lawyer write to both the owner of this location and Jiffy Lube on law firm letterhead paper. At that point you are likely to get an offer.
0 Replies

MMarciano

Reply Fri 9 Sep, 2011 06:18 pm
I'm proud of Morgan, he's a fighter.
0 Replies