jcboy

Reply Thu 8 Sep, 2011 05:40 pm
There’s a jiffy lube just three blocks from where I live, well I took my Ford F150 in last week for an oil change. It’s been parked in front of the house ever since. I rarely use it. Today I loaned it to a friend because he had to pick up some new patio furniture he bought. The engine blow out. It was towed to the shop where they said it didn’t have any oil in it. I know it wasn’t leaking because it has been parked in front of the house since I drove it back after the oil change. Now I’m told it needs a new engine. They couldn’t have put any oil in it after draining the old oil.

And this was a new engine. When I moved to Florida I was doing a lot of work around the house so I thought I would buy a used truck. I bought it off a lot and of course since it was a used truck it had no warranty. The second time I drove it, blew a head gasket. So since I spent so much on the truck I paid the money to have a re-built engine put in. It’s too late for me to call Jiffy Lube now but I’ll be talking to them first thing tomorrow morning.

JTT

Reply Thu 8 Sep, 2011 05:48 pm
@jcboy,
Before you call, you should have it further checked over by that same shop. I'd also get the bill for the oil change, payment made and any other information relating to that oil change.

0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Thu 8 Sep, 2011 05:50 pm
@jcboy,
That sucks...I think Oil Can Henry has a better business model where they show you the dip stick before you drive out for just this reason. I dont like either very much though, both because of poor quality work and because they are too expensive. You would think that because oil changes is about all they do that they would do it well, but I have not found this to be true. I have driven out with three leaks, I have had oil filters massively over tightened, and had the air filter housing not put back together properly after they have checked the filter ( I ended up telling them to leave it alone). I have been massively over charged or wiper blades and for head light replacement, and had them not place the bulb into the housing and had them touch the bulb with their hands so that it blew out rapidly.

I am a slow learner sometimes, but I now refuse to go to oil change places, I have found a mechanic who I feel I can trust and who charges reasonably.
jcboy

Reply Thu 8 Sep, 2011 05:55 pm
Thanks! I always save every receipt. The guy at the shop said it had a new oil filter and the plug was in place but no oil in the engine. And sitting in front of the house there isn’t one drop of oil on the ground. Besides the receipt has the mileage on it, it’s exactly ten miles over since the oil change. I even have the receipt from when I had the re-built engine put in.
jcboy

Reply Thu 8 Sep, 2011 05:58 pm
@hawkeye10,
I always take my cars to the dealer, but since this is just my old truck I really didn't care too much where to take it for an oil change. I just googled jiffy lube complaints and it seems others have had the same problem.
jcboy

Reply Thu 8 Sep, 2011 06:06 pm
My receipt for the re-built engine says it has a warranty. I think after calling Jiffy Lube tomorrow I’ll also give them a call and have them talk to the mechanic at the shop where the truck is and let the two of them fight it out with Jiffy Lube.
hawkeye10

Reply Thu 8 Sep, 2011 06:15 pm
@jcboy,
jcboy wrote:

My receipt for the re-built engine says it has a warranty. I think after calling Jiffy Lube tomorrow I’ll also give them a call and have them talk to the mechanic at the shop where the truck is and let the two of them fight it out with Jiffy Lube.
You are dreaming if you think the engine seller is going to fight Jiffy Lube for you....all they are going to say is that not keeping the engine filled with oil voids your warranty, so they will not pay.

jcboy

Reply Thu 8 Sep, 2011 06:23 pm
@hawkeye10,
Good point, I should have been a lawyer lol. I’ll talk to the mechanic tomorrow first. I can’t see how there was any kind of oil leak if its been sitting in front of the house and no oil on the street.
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Thu 8 Sep, 2011 06:24 pm
@jcboy,
Quote:
The guy at the shop said it had a new oil filter and the plug was in place but no oil in the engine. And sitting in front of the house there isn’t one drop of oil on the ground. Besides the receipt has the mileage on it, it’s exactly ten miles over since the oil change.

Sumn' ain't right. No oil under where it sat since you drove it home but it made it home with no oil in it. An engine with no oil wouldn't have made a couple of miles is my guess.

Rooooockkkky

And I would think that the noise from an engine with no oil would have alerted. How many miles from Jiffy to home? Did you drive it other places, JC?
jcboy

Reply Thu 8 Sep, 2011 06:31 pm
@JTT,
But I hadn't driven it since I parked it after the oil change, Jiffy Lube is three blocks from my house, my friend used it today and said it over heated then stalled on him. Wouldn't start, turn over or do anything.
MMarciano

Reply Thu 8 Sep, 2011 07:01 pm
Morgan knows nothing about cars. When he told me he had a new engine put in his truck I was like, that’s a new engine? I noticed something wrong with it the first time we drove it. Now the mechanic said there wasn’t any oil in the engine/or maybe he saw the jiffylube oil change sticker on the window?
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Thu 8 Sep, 2011 07:11 pm
@jcboy,
I believe you, JC. I'm just wondering how you got it home, even 3 blocks with no oil. Did that garage say bone dry or just way way low?

Or if it leaked out there at your place, why no residue?

These are certainly questions that you're going to have to try to figure out. Most everything seems to be in your favor, only ten miles on the odometer after the oil change.

You'll likely have to pay a bill at the garage where it was towed to. See if you can get them to write on the bill their description of the level of oil if any.

Obviously, other than the 3 blocks, all the other 10 miles of driving was done by your friend, was it not?.
hawkeye10

Reply Thu 8 Sep, 2011 07:19 pm
@JTT,
Quote:
I believe you, JC. I'm just wondering how you got it home, even 3 blocks with no oil. Did that garage say bone dry or just way way low?

In 1996 I was at Cardinale Auto in Seaside CA and in the waiting room was a guy who said that the day before he had driven all the way home with no oil. His engine still worked but what damage was done was unknown. Cardinale solved the problem by extending his GMC warranty for three extra years.
0 Replies

jcboy

Reply Thu 8 Sep, 2011 07:33 pm
@JTT,
I’m not exactly sure yet, the garage just said it didn’t have any oil in it. My friend picked up the key from under my matt and barely got across the bridge to Tampa when it started to overheat then stalled. I just can’t imagine it not having oil when it just had an oil change, and no leak on the street.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Thu 8 Sep, 2011 07:41 pm
@JTT,
Dead wrong. Two friends (I have odd friends) drained the oil from an old clunker and drove off, into the desert. They got thirty miles out of it.
JTT

Reply Thu 8 Sep, 2011 07:55 pm
@roger,
I stand corrected then, Roger, and this is good news for JC too. They forgot to put in fresh oil.

Did the odd friends make it back out of the desert?
roger

Reply Thu 8 Sep, 2011 08:04 pm
@JTT,
Sure. On foot. They got almost 29 miles more than they expected, and that was before cell phones.
0 Replies

MMarciano

Reply Thu 8 Sep, 2011 08:04 pm
When I was 16 and had my first car the oil light came on, I didn’t check the oil for a month after that and there was no oil on the stick. The engine finally flew out, however in Morgan’s case I’m not totally convinced about the so called rebuilt engine they charged him for had actually been totally rebuilt. I'm surprised he knows how to fill up the gas tank. He’s lost here in Florida, we don’t have self serve gas stations like the big cities in Cali.
roger

Reply Thu 8 Sep, 2011 08:09 pm
@MMarciano,
The difference between repair, overhaul, and rebuild are often hazy in the minds of many mechanics. Still, even a brand new, dealer installed engine isn't going far if someone drains the oil and doesn't replace it.

MMarciano

Reply Thu 8 Sep, 2011 08:14 pm
@roger,
That’s true. After he told me he had a rebuilt engine in his truck I kept telling him he needed to take it in, never ran right, ran too fast, stalled yadda yadda. He just thought it was suppose to do that because it was a truck.
0 Replies