Americans overseas who embarrass all Americans

JTT

Reply Fri 2 Sep, 2011 07:41 pm
@ossobuco,
The facts, Osso, they don't lie. I suspect that it's the facts that are too much, but regardless, talk away.
ossobuco

Reply Fri 2 Sep, 2011 07:53 pm
@JTT,
Get yourself a room.
You think you know all, and your rage is in the way.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 2 Sep, 2011 08:10 pm
@JTT,
You are just assuming I like all that?

Really, you are a piece of work. I may know more about cuba than you do, positives and negatives.

You seem to post from hate.
ossobuco

Reply Fri 2 Sep, 2011 08:50 pm
@ossobuco,
Out of here.
Go ahead and self feed.
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Fri 2 Sep, 2011 08:55 pm
@ossobuco,
Quote:
I may know more about cuba than you do, positives and negatives.

I'm here to learn, Osso. Fire away.
izzythepush

Reply Sat 3 Sep, 2011 01:51 am
@JTT,
Probably the most important thing you ever need to know about Cuba is Hemingway's 3-legged cat. It was born with 3 legs and Hemingway looked after it well. Now there are a lot of 3-legged cats running around (what is now) the Hemingway museum.
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Sat 3 Sep, 2011 02:44 am
@msolga,
Quote:
Out of fairness to Americans, I was just about to declare that people from my own country can be an embarrassment, too.
When I used to travel a lot more, I used to avoid Kuta (Bali) for that very reason. It was (probably still is) full of Australians behaving badly. Horrible

You Australians are worse than we Americans are...and the Russians are worse than both of us...
0 Replies

FBM

Reply Sat 3 Sep, 2011 10:04 am
@Finn dAbuzz,
Finn dAbuzz wrote:

You are far more familiar with Koreans than am I, but because they were embarrassed about Cho, doesn't mean Americans need to be embarassed about the idiot in your clip.

It may be a mirror neuron thing, or it may be cultural conditioning or both, don't know. But I think most people in most groups are embarrassed when they are closely confronted with another group member doing something that they would feel ashamed of if they had done. It's an evolved trait, I imagine, and I don't see anything wrong with it. It can be instructive for the group wrt more adaptive behavior.

Quote:
Hasty generalization, whether common or not, is unfortunate, and we should try to avoid it whenever we can. We also need not allow it to cause us to be embarrassed or to apologize.

If the embarrassment is instructive, and if the apologies facilitate a return to a harmonious relationship, I don't see anything wrong with them, either.

When I say something like, 'I'm so sorry your cousin was killed by that defective dildo,' I'm not taking responsibility for the defective dildo, am I? Just trying to facilitate a return to harmony for/with/in the other party.
Foofie

Reply Sun 4 Sep, 2011 06:48 pm
@izzythepush,
izzythepush wrote:

I once went on a day trip to Boulogne with some work colleagues. Unfortunately we went on the same day as a load of Sun readers who had saved up tokens for a free crossing. It was awful, being in the company of a load of drunken francophobic yobs.

I tried to be as polite as possible. I want people to think well of the British. I thought you would want people to think well of Americans. I was embarrassed by the booze cruisers, I'm surprised you're not embarrassed by the arsehole in the video.

Reality check. Many people do not "think well of the British." That might be because they have a colonial history. Or, they have acted superior where they went. Or, like so many other people, they act clannish too. Regardless, drinking might be the least of it.

I believe there is a delusion to some degree that Americans think well of the British. Well, so so. That might be due to this country still being a predominantly WASP country, and they have the wealth/power to give the illusion that more in the country are Anglophiles. I am not so sure.
Foofie

Reply Sun 4 Sep, 2011 06:48 pm
@JTT,
JTT wrote:

Americans aren't even embarrassed when their troops shoot innocent civilians, when their fliers bomb millions into oblivion, when their proxies rape, torture and murder innocent men, women and children.

Who would you say is susceptible to group think, Finn?

Can you sing another song?
0 Replies

Foofie

Reply Sun 4 Sep, 2011 06:50 pm
@JTT,
JTT wrote:

Quote:
Never mind me doing right things.

Then stop yakking about it all the time.

The facts, Osso, the voluminous facts placed squarely in front of a person's face should be all that is needed to, at the least, wake people from their stupor, from their ignorance [in the non pejorative sense].

There is some berating, I'll agree. There is much in the way of factual material that so clearly points to an unremitting dedication on the part of the US to abuse the innocents of the world.

There is thread after thread of people bent on making demands for justice in every cause under the Sun except when it comes to these most egregious examples of injustice.

And what if the U.S. is just a puppet of....

Did you ever think of that?
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Sun 4 Sep, 2011 10:39 pm
@FBM,
Watching an American lout in a video or listening to tales about annoying American tourists just doesn't trigger a genetic response of embarrassment in me.

Perhaps I would not have survived for long on the Serengeti Plains of a few million years ago.

If I were on the Korean bus, I like to think I would have confronted the lout directly, or, at least as you suggest, attempted to mollify the Korean passengers by apologizing on behalf of my countrymen.

The lout would likely embarrass any Americans on the bus, but all Americans weren't riding the bus.

Being on that bus was an entirely different social situation than watching the video in my study. The latter didn't leave me feeling embarrassed about Americans or compelled to apologize to the Korean people.
izzythepush

Reply Mon 5 Sep, 2011 02:37 am
@Foofie,
Foofie wrote:

Reality check. Many people do not "think well of the British." That might be because they have a colonial history. Or, they have acted superior where they went. Or, like so many other people, they act clannish too. Regardless, drinking might be the least of it.

To be honest, I'm not really bothered with your world view. I have never found being English to be a disadvantage wherever I have travelled, and in some counties (esp Holland Mexico and Crete) I have found it to be an advantage. Your jaded, cliche-ridden view of the UK is evidenced in your rants about the riots, and I am in no doubt that you are similarly misinformed about the rest of the world, save for the small part of NYC that you inhabit.
Fil Albuquerque

Reply Mon 5 Sep, 2011 08:28 am
@izzythepush,
...England, shall I say, a certain image of England, still is very much a role model for many around the Globe...
izzythepush

Reply Mon 5 Sep, 2011 08:47 am
@Fil Albuquerque,
That's very kind of you to say so. We don't forget that Portugal is our oldest ally.
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Mon 5 Sep, 2011 08:53 am
@Finn dAbuzz,
Quote:
Watching an American lout in a video or listening to tales about annoying American tourists just doesn't trigger a genetic response of embarrassment in me.

Why would it, Finn? You're equally unbothered by American louts committing genocidal actions upon innocents the world over.
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Mon 5 Sep, 2011 09:00 am
@izzythepush,
Foofie wrote:
izzythepush wrote:
To be honest, I'm not really bothered with your world view.
I have never found being English to be a disadvantage wherever I have travelled, and in some counties (esp Holland Mexico and Crete) I have found it to be an advantage. Your jaded, cliche-ridden view of the UK is evidenced in your rants about the riots, and I am in no doubt that you are similarly misinformed about the rest of the world, save for the small part of NYC that you inhabit.
That is the American vu, as to ourselves.
We ofen hear (from the left) about how we shoud CARE
what the rest of the world thinks of us. As an American,
I don t give any part of a rat what thay think of us,
and I like being an American when I travel
(and at all other times).

I reflect upon how lucky I am to be an American.
My uncle told me that when he was 12, in 1912,
he had a fight with his father (my grandfather),
over proper English table manners, in consequence whereof:
he was thrown out of the house. Fortunately for him (and for ME)
he had been born in NYC, during a year long honeymoon of my grandparents.
Accordingly, he was an American citizen, by birthright.
Therefore, in the exercise of his citizenship rights,
he said that he got on a ship and came to America
(fortunately again: NOT the Titanic).
About 15 years thereafter, the rest of the family followed,
so that I was born in New York. Otherwise, I 'd have been
stuck being a mere Englishman. I shudder at the thawt; horrible thawt.

David
JTT

Reply Mon 5 Sep, 2011 09:26 am
@Foofie,
Quote:
That might be because they have a colonial history. Or, they have acted superior where they went. Or, like so many other people, they act clannish too.

You actually revel, take great delight in being a gigantic hypocrite, don't you, Foofie.
JTT

Reply Mon 5 Sep, 2011 09:30 am
@OmSigDAVID,
I'm sure that there are many Americans who shudder at the me me me that is OmSigDave.

You must have a grand time sitting around dreaming up stories of baby Dave, young Dave, teenage Dave, ... , senile old Dave.

When's the autobio coming out?
OmSigDAVID

Reply Mon 5 Sep, 2011 09:51 am
@JTT,
JTT wrote:
I'm sure that there are many Americans who shudder at the me me me that is OmSigDave.
That is a very good compliment, J.
U have accidentally made me feel good about myself,
knowing that those Americans are leftists, who SHOUD be shuddering.

JTT wrote:
You must have a grand time sitting around dreaming up stories of baby Dave, young Dave, teenage Dave, ... , senile old Dave.
There is no need for that.
I'll just accept that remark as being more foulness from your sick
and chaotically disordered brain; no surprize there.

JTT wrote:
When's the autobio coming out?
Funny. Years ago, I was obsessed with a girl named Joyce.
To relieve my emotional discomfort, I sought out the professional services
of a very talented psychologist, the late Larry King,
who suggested that I write out my biography.
I have not done so. Maybe I shoud, for personal satisfaction.
Thanx for reminding me.

David
0 Replies