Americans overseas who embarrass all Americans

maxdancona

Reply Mon 29 Aug, 2011 08:21 pm
@Foofie,
Foofie, You seem to be saying that people who come to the US are obligated behave to your standards, but that Americans in other countries have the right to be complete jerks because we fight wars.

0 Replies

maxdancona

Reply Mon 29 Aug, 2011 08:22 pm
@mysteryman,
Did you watch the video mystery man? He is acting very much like an American in his mannerisms and language.
msolga

Reply Mon 29 Aug, 2011 08:31 pm
@maxdancona,
I hadn't watched the video before I first posted here.
But just did.
Oh good grief!
That person has severe aggression problems! Shocked

0 Replies

maxdancona

Reply Mon 29 Aug, 2011 08:34 pm
Quote:
The elderly man reportedly said “니가 여기 앉아” (a sign of consideration) ("You can sit here" = Niga Yuh gi anja"), but not knowing Korean, the man in question interpreted “니가” as the N-word which led to his violent outburst.

This is kind of a funny story in spite of the fact that this idiot assaulted an old lady.
FBM

Reply Mon 29 Aug, 2011 08:38 pm
@msolga,
msolga wrote:

Don't worry yourself too much, FBM.

Besides, you can't encourage or will a thread to die.
Once you've started a thread, it has a life of it's own.
If it wants to die, it dies.
If it wants to keep going, it keeps going.
It is now entirely out of your hands! Smile

OMG, what have I done? What have I DONE????
msolga

Reply Mon 29 Aug, 2011 08:42 pm
@maxdancona,
He certainly does appear to be American, especially from his accent.
But seriously, I wouldn't suggest he was a "typical" tourist of any nationality.
Seems to me that he has some aggression or mental problems to behave like that.
The sad thing is, the Koreans who witnessed this episode might assume that American tourists feel it's perfectly OK to behave in this way.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Mon 29 Aug, 2011 08:52 pm
@FBM,
Quote:
OMG, what have I done? What have I DONE????

You've created a monster, that's what!
And you will be held responsible for what every single person who posts here says!! Razz

But that is a pretty shocking video.
Do you really think that some Koreans actually think that that might be typical tourist behaviour?
Me, if I saw someone, anyone, behaving like that in similar circumstances, I'd assume the person was crazy & steer clear!
gungasnake

Reply Mon 29 Aug, 2011 08:55 pm
@FBM,
Quote:
Americans overseas who embarrass all Americans

Bork Obunga and his "Apology Tour(TM)" comes to mind...
dlowan

Reply Mon 29 Aug, 2011 09:04 pm
@Setanta,
Setanta wrote:

Australians of that certain age can be just as bad. I was in a pub in Galway one day, when i was briefly living in Ireland, and a tour bus full of Americans and Australians of the Dubya-Dubya Two generation burst in the front door. All of us headed out the back door. When we were just leaving the alley behind the pub, we could still hear them shouting for drinks.

Just the point I was going to make. All countries have their uglies....and the ugly tend to get uglier when theyre unleashed on holiday.

I totally agree with set about the also ugly Australians.......and I have seen plenty of ugly behaviour, as well as utterly charming, by every nationality I have come across.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Mon 29 Aug, 2011 09:08 pm
@msolga,
Yes! One's own uglies stand out like dogs' balls......and one wishes to disappear into the ground.

But, it's so easy to make an ass of oneself overseas if customs are different and especially when you don't know the local language.

0 Replies

FBM

Reply Mon 29 Aug, 2011 09:14 pm
@msolga,
msolga wrote:

You've created a monster, that's what!
And you will be held responsible for what every single person who posts here says!! Razz

Ugg. Go ahead and shoot me now.

Quote:
But that is a pretty shocking video.
Do you really think that some Koreans actually think that that might be typical tourist behaviour?
Me, if I saw someone, anyone, behaving like that in similar circumstances, I'd assume the person was crazy & steer clear!

I can't say that I know exactly what Koreans think, but they've already got their own version of tea-baggers, and this video is just fodder for their nationalist agenda. The average Korean would, I'm sure, recognize that this guy is an exceptional douchebag.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Tue 30 Aug, 2011 01:09 am
@gungasnake,
You're completely wrong. Obama has done a great deal to rehabilitate America, following the disastrous Bush presidency.
izzythepush

Reply Tue 30 Aug, 2011 01:14 am
@izzythepush,
We've got our own bunch of repulsive tourists. Certain resorts like Benidorm are to be avoided entirely.
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Tue 30 Aug, 2011 02:45 am
@izzythepush,
izzythepush wrote:
I think that's a very extreme example. We see more of this sort.
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o10iyDfsO-E[/youtube]
That 's some kind of a JOKE,
or a damned lie. Americans tend to be QUIET and mind our own business.

David
OmSigDAVID

Reply Tue 30 Aug, 2011 02:47 am

That is NONSENSE.

I woud not consider blaming Korea
for the murders of Cho at Virginia Tech.

David
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Tue 30 Aug, 2011 06:10 am
@OmSigDAVID,
Obviously it's a joke Dave or it wouldn't be part of a comedy sketch. Stick to logic Dave, you can only speak for yourself. I have no doubt that you are normally quiet and well behaved. Unfortunately not all of your fellow Americans, (or my fellow Brits for that matter) are.
OmSigDAVID

Reply Tue 30 Aug, 2011 06:15 am
@izzythepush,
izzythepush wrote:
Obviously it's a joke Dave or it wouldn't be part of a comedy sketch. Stick to logic Dave, you can only speak for yourself. I have no doubt that you are normally quiet and well behaved. Unfortunately not all of your fellow Americans, (or my fellow Brits for that matter) are.
My fellow New Yorkers don 't go around yelling "good morning" very much.
We tend to keep our mouths shut.

I will admit that the citizens of Arizona r a little more open and friendlier.

David
izzythepush

Reply Tue 30 Aug, 2011 06:16 am
@OmSigDAVID,
Most people think that New York and London have more in common with each other than anywhere else.
OmSigDAVID

Reply Tue 30 Aug, 2011 06:18 am
@izzythepush,
Do u like Beef Wellington ?

David
izzythepush

Reply Tue 30 Aug, 2011 06:20 am
@OmSigDAVID,
To be quite honest I've not tried it. I'm always very dubious of any procedure that wraps pastry round uncooked meat.
0 Replies