West Memphis 3 Are Going To Be Freed!

BillRM

Reply Fri 19 Aug, 2011 08:03 pm
@firefly,
Quote:
Don't you think that. maybe, there should have been a third jury?

It is my understanding that the three gentlemen could had demanded a new trial instead of reaching a somewhat crazy deal with the state.
Arella Mae

Reply Fri 19 Aug, 2011 08:06 pm
@BillRM,
Jessie Misskelly, the one who confessed, was given a lie detector test after several hours of interrogation. Remember he is mentally handicapped with an extremely low IQ.

Jason Baldwin did not want to accept the plea deal because, he said, "we are innocent" but in the interview today he said, "They are trying to kill Damien." Eventually, they would probably carry that death penalty out. Jason agreed to the plea deal to save Damien's life.
BillRM

Reply Fri 19 Aug, 2011 08:15 pm
@Arella Mae,
Quote:
Jessie Misskelly, the one who confessed, was given a lie detector test after several hours of interrogation. Remember he is mentally handicapped with an extremely low IQ.

Interesting and the test I assume did not clear him and supported his confession?

In any case there is nothing to stop all three of them getting the best experts in the field to run such tests on them now.

Assuming they pass it would go a long way to clear up the remaining question of their guilt and placed a lot of pressure on the state to reopen the investigation.
Arella Mae

Reply Fri 19 Aug, 2011 08:17 pm
@BillRM,
Lie detector tests are not admissible in court. In this case, I highly doubt those three passing a lie detector test will prompt the DA to do anything. This has been an 18 year battle of new evidence, testing, etc. I'll see if I can find in the book if Jessie passed it or not. I doubt he did. He was exhausted, confused, and scared to death.

Here is a link to details of the confession and lie detector test:

http://www.trutv.com/library/crime/notorious_murders/famous/memphis/confess_6.html

firefly

Reply Fri 19 Aug, 2011 08:19 pm
@BillRM,
I raise a question with you about why only 2 juries were used to convict 3 men 18 years ago, and you responded..
Quote:
It is my understanding that the three gentlemen could had demanded a new trial instead of reaching a somewhat crazy deal with the state.

You plain don't understamd. Yes, they could have demanded a new trial now, but I drew your attention to the fact that only 2 juries were used in this case 18 years ago when there were 3 defendants. Doesn't that raise any possible red flags for you?

You are just too lacking in information about this case to be able to discuss it.

Why don't you stop posting and go read about this case. Rolling Eyes

And I think that CNN will have a program about the case on tonight--in about 45 minutes.
BillRM

Reply Fri 19 Aug, 2011 08:21 pm
@Arella Mae,
Quote:
They are trying to kill Damien." Eventually, they would probably carry that death penalty out. Jason agreed to the plea deal to save Damien's life.

Come on they would not had executor the man if the case was now so weak they the state cut them a deal for them to be released.

They could had gotten a new trial if that was their wish.
firefly

Reply Fri 19 Aug, 2011 08:23 pm
@BillRM,
Stop posting and go read about this case. It has been going on for 18 years, it did not end with the trials. Find out what went on with all the appeals, all the issues which were raised.

0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Fri 19 Aug, 2011 08:25 pm
@BillRM,
Bill, please, stop making comments and familiarize yourself with this case. Damien has been on death row for 18 years, ten of them in solitary confinement. The appeals had nearly run out on this case. There would have been nothing else they could do to stop the execution.

I am trying to help you here. You are seeming to honestly want to know what is going on so I'm going to do what I can to help. You have to remember, there have been hundreds of people involved in the last 18 years to get these young man freed. Millions of dollars have been spent. I am sure they covered every base they could.
0 Replies

BillRM

Reply Fri 19 Aug, 2011 08:25 pm
@Arella Mae,
We are not talking about court as they are now not innocent but still free men we are talking about the court of public opinion and laying to rest the feeling that the state may had released three children killers.

An I do not agree that all three passing such a test would not placed one hell of a lot of pressure on the state to reopen the investigation.
Arella Mae

Reply Fri 19 Aug, 2011 08:27 pm
@BillRM,
That's because you are not familiar enough with the entire case. Do you honestly think other lawyers didn't think about it? Don't you know the WM3 were given lie detector tests by their own lawyers? No, I'm guessing you didn't.
Arella Mae

Reply Fri 19 Aug, 2011 08:31 pm
@firefly,
I have been meaning to ask you something. Do you think where they actually found the boys was where they were killed? Even though they were in water, according to experts, there should have been plenty of blood evidence around and they found virtually none. Hubby and I think this might be a truck driver that killed them in his trailer and then dumped them. Any thoughts?
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Fri 19 Aug, 2011 08:35 pm
@Arella Mae,
My post was half in jest but I don't think that there is anything wrong with a person who has fulfilled their debt to society profiting from any of their life's experiences. The odds are already badly stacked against ex-criminals.

And consider the truly depraved criminals, the like Reagan, Bush, Bush, Cheney, [too numerous to cover them all] who are rewarded for their heinous crimes.
JTT

Reply Fri 19 Aug, 2011 08:37 pm
@BillRM,
Why would that be, Bill, when you are one of the truly delusional ones.

0 Replies

BillRM

Reply Fri 19 Aug, 2011 08:37 pm
@firefly,
Quote:
but I drew your attention to the fact that only 2 juries were used in this case 18 years ago when there were 3 defendants. Doesn't that raise any possible red flags for you?

No it is not uncomment at all to tried defendants together if the state is claiming they acted together so no red flag of any kind exist due to that fact.

It is my understanding the reason that there was not one jury instead of two was legal issues surrounding the confession of the one gentleman being used in the trial of the other two.

An example of defendants in murder cases being tried together that come to mind is the case of the Menendez brothers.
firefly

Reply Fri 19 Aug, 2011 08:38 pm
@BillRM,
Quote:
We are not talking about court as they are now not innocent but still free men we are talking about the court of public opinion and laying to rest the feeling that the state may had released three children killers.

Who cares about the court of public opinion? If you've been on death row, and facing execution, all that really matters is being free.

Some people will always believe they are guilty and some will always believe they are innocent. And no lie detector tests will change that.

The defense has been investigating the crime for the past 18 years--they've been trying to dig up more evidence for 18 years--The evidence just isn't there.

This case is closed for the state--they have their convictions, it's over. They accepted the 18 years in prison as time served for the charges. The state still feels these are the guilty parties who murdered the children, so they have no reason to open another investigation.

The murders will never be solved to everyone's satisfaction. And you won't solve them by asking a few dumb questions.

Stop posting and go educate yourself about the case.
Arella Mae

Reply Fri 19 Aug, 2011 08:40 pm
@JTT,
I surely cannot argue with that JTT. I think I am just "wanting" the WM3 to have more dignity (dignity is definitely not the right word for my thought but I can't think of the right one) than that. But, then again, they will probably never be able to find decent employment and it is their story and it is their right to tell it and I have to admit, I'd buy the book and I'd watch the movie.
BillRM

Reply Fri 19 Aug, 2011 08:42 pm
@Arella Mae,
You know for sure that the defendants lawyers was allow to give them lied detectors tests?

boomerang

Reply Fri 19 Aug, 2011 08:46 pm
I just watched this:

It seems that even the parents of the murdered boys don't believe that the WM3 killed their kids.
Arella Mae

Reply Fri 19 Aug, 2011 08:47 pm
@BillRM,
BillRM wrote:

No it is not uncomment at all to tried defendants together if the state is claiming they acted together so no red flag of any kind exist due to that fact.

It is my understanding the reason that there was not one jury instead of two was legal issues surrounding the confession of the one gentleman being used in the trial of the other two.

An example of defendants in murder cases being tried together that come to mind is the case of the Menendez brothers.

Bill, the only, and I do mean only thing the prosecution had was Jessie Miskelly's confession. A confession that did not match the facts of the case. The court of public opinion is what put these three young boys in prison. Another thing that might help you to know is this is a very small, very, very, very redneck type community. These are not highly educated people. I am not putting them down. I am merely stating facts. This is a community that was virtually paralyzed by the media's feeding them tales of satanic rituals and Damien Echols dressing goth and acting like a normal rebellious teenager. They even tried to get Damien to say he had changed his name to Damien because of the movie the Omen. But that wasn't true. Damien admired a priest/monk named Father Damien and that is where he got his name. There are so many facts you don't know yet and you will need to know them before you can make an informed decision about this case.
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Fri 19 Aug, 2011 08:48 pm
@BillRM,
BillRM wrote:

You know for sure that the defendants lawyers was allow to give them lied detectors tests?

I am sure that I read it somewhere. Let me see if I can find it. In this kind of case it is rather common for them to do so. Sometimes the defense lawyers will base their decision as to whether their client should take a lie detector test given by the police based on one of their own.
0 Replies