sozobe

Reply Mon 29 Aug, 2011 02:08 pm
@ehBeth,
Yes, definitely. I keep expecting that part to change but it hasn't yet. She still hates shopping but likes clothes and has very specific taste, so the whole personal-shopper thing still works well.

I do research with her re: what she likes and why using catalogs and websites for as long as she can stand -- usually about 45 minutes, once a season -- and then do follow-up research on what she likes best in her wardrobe.

Current fave t-shirt:

http://www.hipsoul.com/bmz_cache/6/63704e60550f970cbc76bb6b398e3d81.image.375x400.jpg

(In charcoal gray, not black, though. Couldn't get the image for that one.)
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Mon 29 Aug, 2011 03:08 pm
Thank you, Jane is fine again - thank gawd. Today was registration and she was so happy to see all her school friends again. One of her friends is staying with us until Friday, so they talk "shop" already.

Yes sozobe, enjoy the clothes shopping while it lasts. They roll their eyes way too soon at mom's suggested outfits. Whereas Jane wants me to go with her to the stores where the music is so loud that I cannot stand it longer than 10 minutes, but she will select her own outfits and sometimes they're so far removed from anyone's taste that I really have to bite my tongue....*sigh*
sozobe

Reply Mon 29 Aug, 2011 03:13 pm
@CalamityJane,
Glad Jane is all better!

Ya know what, the loud music is a big part of why sozlet hates shopping. That really irritates her. I'm immune of course!!
CalamityJane

Reply Mon 29 Aug, 2011 03:52 pm
@sozobe,
Give her another few years....what's her taste in music these days?
sozobe

Reply Mon 29 Aug, 2011 04:02 pm
@CalamityJane,
Eclectic.

Old-timey country (Johnny Cash, Merle Haggard), and old-timey metal (AC/DC), and Beatles, and some Who, and some Journey (really just "Don't Stop Believin'"), some other misc 80's stuff (Outfield, Cars) and a fair amount of current pop (some Katy Perry, a lot of Bruno Mars, some Lady Gaga, some Adele).

She mostly objects to the volume I think. She likes her old-timey metal super-loud, but not the rest of it.
CalamityJane

Reply Mon 29 Aug, 2011 05:06 pm
@sozobe,
wow, that's indeed quite eclectic - good for her! Jane loves the Beatles too, they never go out of style.

I know you can't hear it, but that Adele has an incredible voice, very soulful
and jazzy. At last nights VMA awards she sang them all on the wall, unfortunately, she's British and mostly snubbed by the music awards, very much like Amy Winehouse was. They did give her a tribute yesterday, too late for her to appreciate.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Tue 6 Sep, 2011 10:42 am
Today was the first day of school for Mo and the house is sooooo quiet I don't hardly know what to do with myself. I'm used to having him and at least one friend rampaging around. Weird, this silence.

He didn't want my help in lugging all the first day supplies, and finding his classroom, and meeting his teacher. I felt a pang as I watched the other parents walking their kids to school. He's such a strangely independent creature, so confident in his ability to navigate life. Sometimes it makes me feel negligent (or at least worry about appearing negligent) and other times it makes me feel like I've done a good job by just letting him be this boy. Weird, this dichotomy.

I'm sure it won't take me long to get used to the quiet. I've always been good at quiet. And I have more than a million projects lined up. But knowing this is only the first day of many first times to come makes me feel nostalgic......
CalamityJane

Reply Tue 6 Sep, 2011 10:59 am
@boomerang,
It was the first day of school for us too! Jane got up at 5:00 am already to get herself styled (straightened her hair and what not) and ready for school.
She did look cute but I hope this won't be a daily thing.....

Boomer, it's a good thing that Mo is confident and independent, trust me,
you'll treasure this trait in years to come. It makes their life so much easier,
especially later on in high school when they have changing classes and always different kids in them and they need to adapt so quickly to changes, it helps to have a confident child who just marches in and is content with a new situation.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Tue 6 Sep, 2011 11:50 am
Happy first day of school, Mo and Jane! (And their respective parents!)

5 am, whoa! I was happy when sozlet managed to wake up at 7 am this morning.

Boomer, yes, I know what you mean. I think it's good that he's so independent. I get the dichotomy too though.

The wide-open days seem to contract mighty quickly, I had maybe two days of "WOW I HAVE THE WHOLE DAY TO MYSELF!" before I was running out of time again.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Wed 7 Sep, 2011 11:03 am
We have back to school tomorrow. The kids don't want to go.

I missed Meet the Teachers last night so I am not starting the school year off great myself. It was at 7 - I left work at about 6:45 and know all the teachers. I figure I deserve the night off.
0 Replies

jcboy

Reply Mon 20 Aug, 2012 07:07 am
@sozobe,
Antonio went back to school today. He’s a first grader now!

Even though we haven’t closed escrow on the new house we were still able to use that address and enroll him in the new school district.
DrewDad

Reply Mon 20 Aug, 2012 07:19 am
@jcboy,
It's good that they let you enroll using your new address.

I notice that right here at the end of summer, there are a bunch of houses that suddenly dropped their price....
jcboy

Reply Mon 20 Aug, 2012 07:24 am
@DrewDad,
Yes it is. The people that still own the house allowed me to put the electricity bill in my name so we claimed that as our new address.

They just recently changed when school starts in our county. We had him in daycare, I feel better with him being in school then daycare. He didn’t like going there.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Mon 20 Aug, 2012 07:32 am
@jcboy,
Oh good! It's so much easier to start the new year with everyone else. Glad that worked out.

Happy back to school!
jcboy

Reply Mon 20 Aug, 2012 08:01 am
@sozobe,
Yep! He was a little hesitant to go today because all his little friends at his old school and he was nervous, which is perfectly normal. I told him he would probably come home today and tell us about all the new friends he made.
0 Replies