GracieGirl

Reply Thu 18 Aug, 2011 06:43 pm
@chai2,
Hahaha!!! Laughing
chai2

Reply Thu 18 Aug, 2011 06:49 pm
@GracieGirl,
Hahaha! Laughing

ok, everybody say "Hahaha! Laughing " for the rest of the page, and maybe some of the next one.
GracieGirl

Reply Thu 18 Aug, 2011 06:54 pm
@chai2,
Hahaha! Laughing How about everyone ends their post with that! Razz Razz Razz

I cant believe you snitched on me, I thought we were acquaintances? Laughing Razz

Hahaha! Laughing
CalamityJane

Reply Thu 18 Aug, 2011 07:00 pm
@GracieGirl,
You're learning fast, Gracie Wink

Remember, acquaintances are more superficial than friends -
Chai would sell her own grandmother for a good laugh;
actually, she is quite humorous herself Mr. Green
sozobe

Reply Thu 18 Aug, 2011 07:05 pm
@GracieGirl,
Well howdy, place livened up when I was out.

CJ, you guys actually start after Labor Day, awesome. Does the school year end late too?

Sozlet wakes up at 7 on good days (7:15 or 17 or 20 on bad days), that seems plenty early. To get there BY 7 -- ugh.

Glad Jane's looking forward to school.

MMarciano, wow, that is exciting!! Does he know some of the kids in his kindergarten?

Chai, d'awww... that's very sweet indeed. Wish I would've thought of it.

Osso, I know. It's annoying for the kids. I actually like it because when school is out I'm running around like a maniac most of the time, the start of school is when I can exhale. So I enjoy having nice weather + time. Even though there are elements of lazy school-free summer that I like, too.

Hi Gracie! Yes, you were one of the students I was thinking of. Are you tired enough that you can get to sleep early?

George, yeah, that makes sense.

Boomerang, yes, that happens with us too -- we can tell it's about ready for school to start by how the kid's acting. Her intensity level ratchets up, or something. Glad Mo says he's ready. Fingers crossed here too.

roger, mayhap fungus was the look he/she was going for.

CJane, I just had a confusing conversation with sozlet re: phones in school. She insists that she heard that policy will change this year and that you're allowed to use them in class -- something about drawing out shy students, allowing them to text their answers. We'll see.

GracieGirl

Reply Thu 18 Aug, 2011 07:17 pm
@CalamityJane,
Haha! Yea, thanks. And I agree, chai is really funny! Mr. Green
0 Replies

GracieGirl

Reply Thu 18 Aug, 2011 07:18 pm
@sozobe,
Yea, but I dont like going to sleep early. Ugh! Im gonna have to start though.
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Thu 18 Aug, 2011 07:38 pm
@sozobe,
Yes, usually the school year ends in the second or third week of June.
Wow, kids are allowed to text in class? Hm, it would be too tempting to use it for other things, but I am sure you'll find out soon enough.

sozobe, is sozlet's school fully online? I mean can you log into her assignments, homework and look up grades? That's one aspect I like the most, I can check out everything without further ado and know when assignments are due and what needs to be done, as teenagers gladly omit
these things.

By the way, it is customary in Germany to give kids a cone filled with candy
on their very first day of school - to sweeten the many many years of learning so to speak. I made one for Jane too on her first day and all her classmates wanted one too!

http://www.da-imnetz.de/bilder/2010/08/18/882981/132843175-ranzen-schultuete-schulkinder.9.jpg
sozobe

Reply Thu 18 Aug, 2011 07:42 pm
@CalamityJane,
Wow what a nice idea! I love that.

She's kinda-sorta online. Not a lot last year, we'll see about this year. Last year she had very very little homework at all, I'm told that this year there will be more.
CalamityJane

Reply Thu 18 Aug, 2011 07:57 pm
@sozobe,
5th grade was quite a change in terms of homework - lots of grammar and composition and book assignments, social studies and science, computer science, math as well as introduction to algebra and geometry. It's quite overwhelming at times.
roger

Reply Thu 18 Aug, 2011 08:30 pm
@CalamityJane,
I'm going to admit, I would have been overwhelmed all the time.
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Thu 18 Aug, 2011 09:34 pm
@MMarciano,
Ah... that made me smile. I remember the first day of first time well.
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Thu 18 Aug, 2011 09:38 pm
@sozobe,
Random thoughts:

Don't go to Office Max or Staples unless you have to. I was there today and it brought me back in many ways but made me realize that I'm glad I don't need to be in that crush unless I choose to be.

M leaves for sophomore year in college in a couple weeks. K finished up her summer term today and is looking forward to a couple week's break before diving back into the next term in Sept. She expressed a fond remembrance for when she had summers off.

Me (we) too.
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Thu 18 Aug, 2011 09:40 pm
@chai2,
awwwww......
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Thu 18 Aug, 2011 09:50 pm
@CalamityJane,
Nice.

Memories like that last a lifetime.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Fri 19 Aug, 2011 05:52 am
@CalamityJane,
Oof. I'm not looking forward to that. It's got to be more homework than last year though, which was laughably little (basically nothing).

JPB, yep, Target was my Office Max/ Staples. Craziness. All set though (with some Amazon orders to fill in blanks).

Sophomore in college already, good grief. I had one summer off in college I think, no two, the first + second ones, then after that I was working and/or taking classes all year 'round.
sozobe

Reply Fri 19 Aug, 2011 06:05 am
Another random thought....

For those of you who pack lunches (for your kid or yourself), how do you handle packing to share? If there are brownies, for example, do you pack a bit extra to share with friends? How much if so? Or is the assumption that if a friend wants half a brownie, they have to trade something?
Linkat

Reply Fri 19 Aug, 2011 09:21 am
@sozobe,
Actually this is the best time right now! The kids don't start school until after Labor day. No sports after the first week of August. (as my daughter's T shirt says summer vacation starts after softball)....I love these last 3 weeks.

But I don't want the summer to end.

Did Soz finish her summer reading?
Linkat

Reply Fri 19 Aug, 2011 09:26 am
@sozobe,
This year was great with school supplies - we had an option - we could buy this school pack from the school instead of filling a list. It wasn't much different than probably what I spent any way.

So no going to target/staples/walmart and lugging the stuff in - shows up on their desk first day of school.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Fri 19 Aug, 2011 09:27 am
@sozobe,
I always pack extra food and goodies - my daughter tends to give some to other kids that don't seem to have enough and I never know how hungry the kids are going to be on one day vs another. I just throw in a variety of stuff.
0 Replies