¿What do you like best about Mexican culture?

Reply Thu 18 Aug, 2011 09:32 am
for example I really like their past, their pre-Hispanic cultures, the Mayans, Aztecs, I read a little about the past history of mexico and I think it's great goddess, and some traditions such as day of the dead, and festivities that are celebrated in the villages are magical.

you are saying ?......
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 13 • Views: 6,059 • Replies: 33

panzade

Reply Thu 18 Aug, 2011 12:01 pm
@tommmy2012,
I like the people of Mexico. When I was there on vacation they were very friendly and accommodating.

I love the way the bus drivers slap hands as they pass each other on a narrow road.
roger

Reply Thu 18 Aug, 2011 01:33 pm
@panzade,
The only Mexicans I know are those living in America. I most like their unthinking courtesy. Also, the handshake, at least from those involved in physical labor. It's about as firm as a butterfly, like they are afraid they are going to crush your hand. Second generation and later Mexican - Americans tend to lose that kind of handshake.
roger

Reply Thu 18 Aug, 2011 01:34 pm
@roger,
Well, I've met fbaezer, but only briefly.
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Thu 18 Aug, 2011 01:35 pm

the food!
Setanta

Reply Thu 18 Aug, 2011 01:38 pm
The food . . . no, no wait, the drugs . . . no, that's not it, the booze . . . or maybe the food . . .
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Thu 18 Aug, 2011 02:24 pm
Of the Mexicans I have lived and worked around, I have this to say. They are by and large some fine individuals and I am proud of my associations with them.
0 Replies

tommmy2012

Reply Fri 19 Aug, 2011 11:45 am
@panzade,
if people are friendly, and well treated visitors, plus our country is very dear to Mexicans, Mexicans love us in spite of some compatriots discredit us, and the races are the greatest I've seen them, Greetings! !
0 Replies

tommmy2012

Reply Fri 19 Aug, 2011 12:05 pm
@Region Philbis,
The food is delicious, very rich, you're right, I recommend eating the famous Sopes prepare cheese, mashed beans, salsa verde, lettuce, and chopped a little cactus in a corn tortilla dough is a delight pure The mole is also yummy, mmmmm hogada peppers in a delicious, pozole, carnitas, barbecue, and I could go haha ​​...... greetings !!!!!
0 Replies

InfraBlue

Reply Fri 19 Aug, 2011 04:23 pm
I enjoy folkloric music, and Mexico has some of the most endearing traditions thereof. I particularly like the sones Jarocho, which is from Veracruz, and Huasteco (Huapango), which is from the area in Mexico called La Huasteca, that includes areas in Veracruz, Hidalgo, Tamaulipas, San Luis Potosí, and Sierra Gorda in Queretaro. My father's families were from areas that border the regions between Veracruz and Hidalgo.
ossobuco

Reply Fri 19 Aug, 2011 04:57 pm
I was going to answer this early, with the obvious - the people, but was just cruising threads and tired.

That's still my answer. I've been to Mexico six or seven times but only one, maybe two, as a non-tourist, and even then, I was a visitor. I liked Mexico, still do. I read a bunch of history all at once. I remain interested re Mexico but got waylaid on my road of interests to becoming fascinated with Italy, which, over my years at a2k, I've gone on about too much. Like Italy, I see good and bad and complications re Mexico but feel connected, whether or not italians or mexicans would even consider thinking of me that way (your basic no).

Probably the best book I've read in years and years (and I'm one picky person) is Agustin Yanez' The Edge of the Storm, U of Tex translation. Not your average easy best seller read - strong writing. I found that in one of Fbaezer's threads where he listed some good books..
no link right now.
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Fri 19 Aug, 2011 06:49 pm
@InfraBlue,
I'm with you on the music from Veracruz, Blue.

Here's an interesting documentary about the origins of Tex-Mex border music. A lot of stuff I didn't know.
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Fri 19 Aug, 2011 07:12 pm
The hats.
0 Replies

Fido

Reply Fri 19 Aug, 2011 07:29 pm
@tommmy2012,
tommmy2012 wrote:

for example I really like their past, their pre-Hispanic cultures, the Mayans, Aztecs, I read a little about the past history of mexico and I think it's great goddess, and some traditions such as day of the dead, and festivities that are celebrated in the villages are magical.

you are saying ?......
The strength of the culture comes from spain, and it is that, as a culture it tell everyone their place... There is not much of the argument between men and women about who does what... The mom does this, the dad does that, the kids do this etc... All the politics of power has no place in their lives until they become americanized... And this is the strength of many cultures compared to ours... Papa talks, and the kids and women listen... If the man is wise, hw seeks the counsel of his wife, but it is not great power struggle... People act as one and succeed together... It is the old age way...
Fido

Reply Fri 19 Aug, 2011 07:34 pm
@panzade,
panzade wrote:

I like the people of Mexico. When I was there on vacation they were very friendly and accommodating.

I love the way the bus drivers slap hands as they pass each other on a narrow road.
It isn't Mexican, but better... I liked driving in Puerto Rico... Turn down a one way street the wrong way and people don't get bent and flip you off... You could see people coming at you on the wrong side of the road going seventy... So what??? Their side had bumps, and your side was freshly paved... The no problem attitude of accomodation is beautiful... We all have to get along...
0 Replies

tommmy2012

Reply Sun 21 Aug, 2011 11:33 am
@Fido,
I long ago I read about the history of Mexico, it is true that the Spanish to come to mexico, traditions, customs, ideas, and more, Confucian with those of Mexico, but Mexico was Mexico when the Spanish arrived, the Mexican cultures has many years of Teotihuacan dating 1000 years ago, the Aztecs 700 years, the Maya 2100 years BC, and sapotecas 2000, we are talking about ancient cultures, the Spanish arrived in Mexico in 1519. I was reminded of a survey that was done in a very popular site network mexico, ask the Mexicans, with what you feel brotherly country?, and Mexicans not preferred over peru, brazil, Colombia, Venezuela and Spain, its choice was always United States of America, that inspired me to do this.
0 Replies

tommmy2012

Reply Sun 21 Aug, 2011 11:48 am
@InfraBlue,
if the music of Mexico is excellent, I really like the music of Veracruz, the Son Jarocho, as "Bamba", the sound of the harp, I love mariachi, "the son of the black," the snake The mariachi loco, but also the music of northern Sinaloa, Kardinal Offishall, or banda, mexico there are a lot things that are unique, are unique.
jcboy

Reply Sun 21 Aug, 2011 11:52 am
@tommmy2012,
Coming from CA I’ve been to Mexico many times, mostly Cabo and Puerto Vallarta. They were very hospitable to me and I loved the food, didn’t have a bad meal once.
0 Replies

coluber2001

Reply Fri 26 Aug, 2011 01:26 pm
Gary Jennings wrote the novel, "Aztec," which gives a vivid picture of the Aztec culture of Tenochtitlan and its empire and its downfall and destruction by the Spanish. I highly recommend this book, and though many people prefer non-fiction to historical fiction, I find the fictionalized accounts easier to picture and assimililate. The book is very graphic and gory at times, especially when describing the human sacrafices at the shrines atop the pyramids, but the point of view is from an old Aztec man, and it is not shocking.

Jennings years later wrote several sequels to "Aztec" one of which I've just started, which describes a little revolt of the people against the Spanish conquerers.
panzade

Reply Fri 26 Aug, 2011 03:02 pm
@coluber2001,
Thanks for the tip
0 Replies