¿What do you like best about Mexican culture?

OmSigDAVID

Reply Fri 26 Aug, 2011 03:06 pm
@tommmy2012,
Quote:
¿What do you like best about Mexican culture?
The Best about Mexican culture is the HAT.
It has a good brim on it, against the sun in the summertime.

David
0 Replies

Pemerson

Reply Fri 26 Aug, 2011 03:50 pm
My son married a girl from Mexico, and I've visited there few times. They are very straight-forward and say exactly what they think or know. They are real (authentic) people.

I read Jennings' Aztec, plus two others by same author. Interesting history. Food? Good grief, yes.

Mexico is our neighbor, what happens there is important to us, to say it mildly.
OmSigDAVID

Reply Fri 26 Aug, 2011 03:53 pm
@Pemerson,
U liked the FOOD????

I grew up in Arizona. We did not think much of Mexican food,
except for getting our mouths burned; painful.

David
Pemerson

Reply Fri 26 Aug, 2011 09:48 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
Well, Mexican food in Mexico is really hot. My daughter-in-law sits and fans her mouth with one hand while she eats with the other even here in Texas. She orders the hotest of the dishes. Me, I like 3 cheese enchilidas with sour cream sauce.

Both she and my son like to cook, or at least she used to love cooking, but is probably a little spoiled by now. Their house is like ours: Husband cooks, I wash dishes. He cooks, she washes dishes. Men don't know how to clean kitchens, and what a mess they make cooking, and putting everything in the wrong place.
CalamityJane

Reply Fri 26 Aug, 2011 10:28 pm
I love their music, the food, the architecture and the optimism people seem to have, they're happy no matter what. I used to go down to Tijuana and Ensenada a lot, eating lobster, drinking tequila in Puerto Nueve with the Mariachis playing.
One time, we got my widowed mother-in-law standing next to a Mexican guy holding a donkey for a tourist snap shot. We put a sombrero on her that read "Just married". That picture was on our Christmas card Laughing
I have such fond memories of Mexico and its people....

It's such a shame that the drug cartel took over and has destroyed the tourism around the border towns.
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Sat 27 Aug, 2011 09:01 am
@Pemerson,
Pemerson wrote:
Well, Mexican food in Mexico is really hot.
That was developed before the advent of refrigeration, to conceal the condition of the meat.
Pemerson

Reply Sun 28 Aug, 2011 02:28 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
OmSigDAVID wrote:

Pemerson wrote:
That was developed before the advent of refrigeration, to conceal the condition of the meat.

I don't believe that. It's probably that chili peppers are so easy to grow there.

I left TX, moved to Ohio, couldn't find a thing to eat until I found Jewish cooking. They are very fussy, so am I. Also, there was no Mexican food in the north then. I tried canned, but, noooooooo. Could write a book about all the different foods prepared in all the states where I've lived. But, we are all homogenized now, so, same food everywhere.

I miss Mexico, it was such a great place to visit. People must miss Cuba, too. I was never there but have read and heard stories that singe your ears.
OmSigDAVID

Reply Sun 28 Aug, 2011 02:36 pm
@Pemerson,
Pemerson wrote:
OmSigDAVID wrote:
Pemerson wrote:
I don't believe that. It's probably that chili peppers are so easy to grow there.
The Indians (in India)
did the same thing, for the same reason.
To me, it is surprizing that thay were not poisoned by the rotten meat.
CREDIT to their immunity systems.

Pemerson wrote:
I miss Mexico, it was such a great place to visit.
Explain ??

Pemerson wrote:
People must miss Cuba, too.
I was never there but have read and heard stories that singe your ears.
Like what ?
Tell us an ear singeer.
Pemerson

Reply Mon 29 Aug, 2011 05:06 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
Mexico is not a safe place to visit today, at least I wouldn't go there. That's all. My son & his wife still vacation there. So, they are younger than me, plus he is like you, David, and owns big guns. They are gutsy people and know Mexico very well. Still, I would be happy if they chose another vacation spot.

An ear singer about Cuba? The whore houses, to put it bluntly. I dated a guy when about 19 who traveled there on business. He told stories of how the girls lined up, he picked one and they went upstairs together. And, yes, I heard the details. I didn't marry this guy.

We bought a trunk at a garage some time ago. It was solid wood, calico, tiny flowers, not looking very expensive when once new. T'was a great thing to hold old newspapers, kittens in the winter, wood for fireplace, man it just wouldn't wear out. I had a notion one day to rip the tacky print off and cover it in leather, or vinyl. Hey, I was working myself sick for a week and I didn't put a dent in that cover coming off. The tacks were wierd tiny little things that couldn't be pulled out, so I ripped off part of the cloth finding fairly thick layers of old newspaper.

What a find! They were dated turn-of-the-century late 1880's or 1890s. I read everything I could ease out of there. One story was about the 6-horse pulled carriages that carried people around town, in Havanna, Cuba. What a cacaphony of sound that must have been, with bells here and there all over the horses and their heads held high, mane flowing. They were cantering! (the horses, that is).

The front page of one section showed a large black woman (looked like Aunt Jemimah) washing clothes in a washtub with a rub board, big smile. It was an advertisement for soap.

I would have loved seeing Cuba before it changed so drastically since the dictator. Never did, probably never will. Same for Mexico.

Well, this is a story within a story.
ossobuco

Reply Mon 29 Aug, 2011 07:37 pm
@Pemerson,
I read an article on Mexico recently that makes me think there are still places I'd go happily, but I'd be picky in my choices, at least in part because I'm still not fluent in Spanish, though I know some. I've done a bunch of reading about the cartel areas and am strongly avoidant on all that.

Mexico safer than headlines indicate
Christine Delsol, Special to The Chronicle
Sunday, August 21, 2011

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2011/08/21/TR3O1KLPOQ.DTL

On the other hand, there are some places that I'm fond of from afar that I haven't set foot in.. like Ireland.
0 Replies

Ceili

Reply Mon 29 Aug, 2011 07:51 pm
The weather!!!!
I also love the food, the takillya, the people, the language, the music, the country, the devotion, the architecture and so on...
I hate, hate, hate the condo sales people...
0 Replies

jcboy

Reply Tue 30 Aug, 2011 03:54 am
The bad thing about Cabo was the drug dealers. I remember going into town and around every corner was someone trying to sell us cocaine. Most of them were teenagers. I remember this one kid in particular he must have been about 16 years old, black eye, looked like someone had just beat the crap out o him and he was selling cocaine on the corner. The dealers recruit these young kids who are afraid and need money.
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Tue 30 Aug, 2011 11:24 am
@Pemerson,
nice post P
Pemerson

Reply Tue 30 Aug, 2011 03:48 pm
@panzade,
panzade wrote:

nice post P

Thank you, P, too

Forgot to mention the wife is from Mexico, Hermecillo (however that is spelled), has a Mexican law degree, and she is formidable. Probably would say, "Oh, hell, we don't have time for this, go away," to anybody who came too close. Oh, how I would like to think they'd actually go away.
0 Replies