Whats One Thing You Hated About School?

OmSigDAVID

Reply Fri 19 Aug, 2011 11:52 am
@aidan,
aidan wrote:
Yeah well, that's life, innit? Doing what you gotta do to get what you want to get...
But I DID like school - so much so in fact that I wanted to spend my adult life in one...of one sort or another.
Sad to say - I like teaching in a prison too - even more than teaching in a school....do you think that means I could spend my life in a prison?
No...the other day it was a really rainy day and I said, 'Oh crap - it's raining,' and one of the inmates said, 'I love when it rains,' to which I replied, 'I hate when it rains - that means I can't really do alot outside,' and he said, 'Exactly - when it rains - you and I are on equal ground - we're both stuck inside.'
I said, 'Not exactly, but I understand the sentiment.'

Maybe that's what school feels like for some people.

Now I'm gonna go outside and mow my lawn.
Don 't let the rioters get u,
nor your clothes.

David
izzythepush

Reply Fri 19 Aug, 2011 12:16 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
OmSigDAVID wrote:

nor your clothes.

It would help if you read a real newspaper, or watched a real news channel once in a while. The riots were over a week ago, and they did not come to Somerset, nor Southampton for that matter.
OmSigDAVID

Reply Fri 19 Aug, 2011 12:21 pm
@izzythepush,
OmSigDAVID wrote:
nor your clothes.
izzythepush wrote:
It would help if you read a real newspaper, or watched a real news channel once in a while.
The riots were over a week ago, and they did not come to Somerset, nor Southampton for that matter.
R u impugning the REALITY
of the news channels or newspapers of New York ?

David
izzythepush

Reply Fri 19 Aug, 2011 12:24 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
If they're saying that the riots are still going on, and that they've spread to Somerset, I certainly am. You seem to have got that impression in any event.
OmSigDAVID

Reply Fri 19 Aug, 2011 12:28 pm
@izzythepush,
izzythepush wrote:
If they're saying that the riots are still going on, and that they've spread to Somerset, I certainly am.
You seem to have got that impression in any event.
Thay did not address the issue.
I was not aware of any change in riot status.

David
izzythepush

Reply Fri 19 Aug, 2011 12:31 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
OmSigDAVID wrote:

I was not aware of any change in riot status.

So your newspapers are remiss.
0 Replies

aidan

Reply Fri 19 Aug, 2011 12:37 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
Quote:
nor your clothes.

No rioters here in Somerset, David - although Bristol, about twenty miles away from here suffered a few rioters a month or two ago.
I have no idea what that was about either.

We got a few little copycat incidents in the prison in Wiltshire - someone set a fire in the education wing. I think the arsonist wanted to feel like he was part of the gang or something- or maybe he just hated school and wanted to shut it down. And he did - but only for one afternoon.
He's in the seg unit now - no tv, no socialization - sort of like solitary confinement.

Hope you're enjoying your summer. I certainly am- and my lawn looks wonderful!
OmSigDAVID

Reply Fri 19 Aug, 2011 01:07 pm
@aidan,

David wrote:
nor your clothes.
aidan wrote:
No rioters here in Somerset, David - although Bristol, about twenty miles away from here suffered a few rioters a month or two ago.
I have no idea what that was about either.

We got a few little copycat incidents in the prison in Wiltshire - someone set a fire in the education wing. I think the arsonist wanted to feel like he was part of the gang or something- or maybe he just hated school and wanted to shut it down. And he did - but only for one afternoon.
He's in the seg unit now - no tv, no socialization - sort of like solitary confinement.

Hope you're enjoying your summer. I certainly am- and my lawn looks wonderful!
Yes; I 'm planning on attending 2 conventions next month.
Thay r fun.

David
0 Replies

GracieGirl

Reply Fri 19 Aug, 2011 06:46 pm
@gungasnake,
I LOVE English! Why'd you hate it? Is it your second language? My friend Jacqueline is Honduran and she has trouble in English class too with grammar. Byt so do I sometimes and English is my first and only language HaHa! But I know sign language
OmSigDAVID

Reply Fri 19 Aug, 2011 06:49 pm
@GracieGirl,
GracieGirl wrote:
I LOVE English! Why'd you hate it? Is it your second language? My friend Jacqueline is Honduran and she has trouble in English class too with grammar. Byt so do I sometimes and English is my first and only language HaHa! But I know sign language
Yea, me too; English n History.
Does your school have a debate club??

David
JTT

Reply Fri 19 Aug, 2011 07:01 pm
@GracieGirl,
Quote:
My friend Jacqueline is Honduran and she has trouble in English class too with grammar.

Get her to tell you her problems with grammar and after you clear up any grammar issues you don't understand here at A2K, then you can be her tutor, Gracie.
djjd62

Reply Fri 19 Aug, 2011 07:27 pm
@GracieGirl,
GracieGirl wrote:
The video said that USA was meant to be a rebublic though.

given the yahoo's that seem to gravitate to the tea party, a Rebublic (ie nation of Bubbas) might be very apropos
OmSigDAVID

Reply Fri 19 Aug, 2011 07:38 pm
@djjd62,
GracieGirl wrote:
The video said that USA was meant to be a rebublic though.
djjd62 wrote:
given the yahoo's that seem to gravitate to the tea party,
a Rebublic (ie nation of Bubbas) might be very apropos
I just signed up for it tonight, on line.

Bubbas = brothers, right ?

David
0 Replies

GracieGirl

Reply Fri 19 Aug, 2011 08:13 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
Yep! We have a debate team. I'm not on it though
0 Replies

GracieGirl

Reply Fri 19 Aug, 2011 08:18 pm
@JTT,
Yea! That could work! We have the same lunch shift and she comes by my house sometimes on the weekends. We can do a double tutor thing. She tutors me in Spanish and I could tutor her in English while you help me too. Mr. Green

Hey JTT, I actually need a little more help with a few other words and grammar stuff like word usage and subject verb agreements. Can I PM you some questions? Would that be okay? Or would you rather the thread?
GracieGirl

Reply Fri 19 Aug, 2011 08:19 pm
@ossobuco,
HaHa! Thanks ossobucco! Very Happy
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Fri 19 Aug, 2011 08:26 pm
@GracieGirl,
Gracie, do whatever u want,
but JTT has some very, very screwy ideas about grammar.
He does not understand the logic of grammar.
He does not merit your confidence.

David
GracieGirl

Reply Fri 19 Aug, 2011 08:29 pm
@aidan,
(jealous sigh) I wish I had your high school experience! Haha! Smile

I don't know. Schools okay sometimes. I have some really good friends and they look out for me because they're older and everything but I still get picked on every now and then. I know it's not as bad as what some kids go through but it's still hurtful and it sucks bigtime. And everybody pushes too much in high school. The teachers seem to expect me to know everything just because I skipped a couple grades. One teacher in particular actually, he seems to love to call on me when he knows that I don't know the answer and then makes some stupid comment when I say the wrong thing. And my dads always dissapionted when I make anything less than a B. And my twin sister had a higher GPA than me last year so I kinda feel competitive about it , ya know. She seems to do better than me in everything all of a sudden. It's really annoying and frustrating and I just HATE school!

Well, atleast I got that off my chest. Sorry, I had to vent.
GracieGirl

Reply Fri 19 Aug, 2011 08:30 pm
@aidan,
You teach at a prison? Jeez, I'd be soo scared! What do you teach prisoners? They're adults right? What do they need to learn?
0 Replies

GracieGirl

Reply Fri 19 Aug, 2011 08:31 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
What riot? And why would they want her clothes?